• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is it Just Me??

grizpack

eGriz Club
DONOR
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like there is no real chance the Griz play football this spring? I just can't see how our athletic department can possibly make it work. No fans = Huge loss. No real TV money. Travel to each game is $100K loss (conservatively, my estimate). Carrying 2 Freshman (or Senior) classes on scholarship. Game day expenses (with no fans). Testing expenses.
Can't justify athletes getting vaccinations before truly needy folks.

Sorry. Just think it is better to pull the plug and prepare for next year. And I think it sucks for all the players. Just no easy answer.

P.S. Talked to an EWU booster this weekend. He echoed the same thoughts. And they are in much worse shape than we are.

This post makes me want to throw up, simply because I can’t disagree with any part of it.

grizpack said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like there is no real chance the Griz play football this spring? I just can't see how our athletic department can possibly make it work. No fans = Huge loss. No real TV money. Travel to each game is $100K loss (conservatively, my estimate). Carrying 2 Freshman (or Senior) classes on scholarship. Game day expenses (with no fans). Testing expenses.

Sorry. Just think it is better to pull the plug and prepare for next year. And I think it sucks for all the players. Just no easy answer.

P.S. Talked to an EWU booster this weekend. He echoed the same thoughts. And they are in much worse shape than we are.

You may be right. I don't know.

But consider. Only 6 games and no non-conference games. UM has one flight, to NAU. 2 bus trips. Bus trips are way way under $100,000. Game day expense without fans wouldn't seem to be too high.

Scholarship costs no matter what. Same with coach salaries. Many costs ongoing in any event. That doesn't mean there should be a season.

Ticket revenue for many conference schools probably isn't very much. Those schools sort of operate in this environment every year. Yes, huge "loss" for UM and MSU.

Is there are a way to get some tv revenue, at least when schools like UM and MSU are playing?

How much has GSA been raising?

How many of the players have already had covid?

Playing a spring season may not be a good idea, or hard, or expensive, but my view is that waiting for a fall season would create even more problems for the team, and players. I think the team would start to fall apart, as too many players would move on.

grizpack said:

While I agree with the general sentiment, there’s no additional scholarship cost increase. They still have the same #, just spread out differently.

Travel expenses and testing expenses are way down from what they would have been for a Fall season. For the Montana schools they need some ticket revenue to make it work so the hope is some fans in stadiums.It can work fiscally but depends on local government allowing it. There is also a health issue with the field conditions for the time of year and the extra games. Plus unnecessary exposure to covid isn’t healthy. Students won’t be vaccinated until March 15 at that earliest and probably more like late spring and early summer.

My guess is the Montana schools will hold out as long as possible maybe push back the start until 2nd week of March then end up only doing an exhibition or two just to keep players somewhat happy and motivated to stay on the team.

grizpack said:

My takeaway is that Covid isolation has forced Grizpack to have to talk to an Eastern Washington fan. That's the real concern here.

d5ae92101a72cc982834cc87b8769edf.jpg

SaskGriz said:
grizpack said:

My takeaway is that Covid isolation has forced Grizpack to have to talk to an Eastern Washington fan. That's the real concern here.

That is a concern. Hadn't thought of that. Good one.

dayday said:
Travel expenses and testing expenses are way down from what they would have been for a Fall season. For the Montana schools they need some ticket revenue to make it work so the hope is some fans in stadiums.It can work fiscally but depends on local government allowing it. There is also a health issue with the field conditions for the time of year and the extra games. Plus unnecessary exposure to covid isn’t healthy. Students won’t be vaccinated until March 15 at that earliest and probably more like late spring and early summer.

My guess is the Montana schools will hold out as long as possible maybe push back the start until 2nd week of March then end up only doing an exhibition or two just to keep players somewhat happy and motivated to stay on the team.

If teams or the conference are waiting for fan ticket revenue to materialize, I didn't see that happening for a spring season.

In MT, group 1C priority is't expected to start until March 15, and that doesn't include younger people or students.

"Phase 1b will begin in mid-January and continue through March. Phase 1b includes an estimated 90,000 Montanans, such as persons aged 75 years old or older, frontline essential workers, those residing in congregate care and correctional facilities, and American Indians and other people of color who may be at elevated risk for COVID-19.

Phase 1c is expected to launch in mid-March and continue through July and includes another 171,000 Montanans. Critical groups in Phase 1c are those aged 65 years and older, person aged 16-64 at high risk due to underlying medical conditions, and essential workers.

The final phase is expected to launch in late spring or early summer for all Montanans ages 16 and older."

PlayerRep said:
dayday said:

If teams or the conference are waiting for fan ticket revenue to materialize, I didn't see that happening for a spring season.

In MT, group 1C priority is't expected to start until March 15, and that doesn't include younger people or students.

"Phase 1b will begin in mid-January and continue through March. Phase 1b includes an estimated 90,000 Montanans, such as persons aged 75 years old or older, frontline essential workers, those residing in congregate care and correctional facilities, and American Indians and other people of color who may be at elevated risk for COVID-19.

Phase 1c is expected to launch in mid-March and continue through July and includes another 171,000 Montanans. Critical groups in Phase 1c are those aged 65 years and older, person aged 16-64 at high risk due to underlying medical conditions, and essential workers.

The final phase is expected to launch in late spring or early summer for all Montanans ages 16 and older."
And that's all only if they get on track correct? Aren't they way behind already of the people they thought they'd have vaccinated by now?

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:

And that's all only if they get on track correct? Aren't they way behind already of the people they thought they'd have vaccinated by now?

MT is one of the leading states for vaccinations so far.

The US is considering offering 1/2 doses of Moderna, to speed things up. Moderna tested half does and they were just as effective. It is possible that Astra Zeneca will get authorized between late January and early March. It's safe. It's being used now in the UK and other places in the world. I think it should be authorized sooner than later. Why stick to formalities and let more people die.

SaskGriz said:
grizpack said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Damn it! I am so happy that you're back, Sask.

SaskGriz said:
grizpack said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It seems like there should be a way to safely allow fans to social distance inside WA-Griz to make a spring season a reality. I mean how does Costco and Home Depot make it work so seamlessly every day?

Couldn't you pay for quick turn around testing if you really want to go in person? Can't you do symptom and temperature check of fans and make everyone where masks who attends in person? What about all the people who have already had the vaccine? Why not let in medical professionals and first responders and anyone else who has had the vaccine?

What I was told by someone that is somewhat in the know that the Big SKy Conference will probably cancel the Spring season just before play starts. This keeps players from entering the portal. It seems UM and MSU are not big fans of the current setup, as from items mentioned above. Most likely UM and MSU would probably play Frosh and Soph and some other inexperienced people during the Spring, keeping the rosters healthy for the Fall.

Brother Bear said:
It seems like there should be a way to safely allow fans to social distance inside WA-Griz to make a spring season a reality. I mean how does Costco and Home Depot make it work so seamlessly every day?

Couldn't you pay for quick turn around testing if you really want to go in person? Can't you do symptom and temperature check of fans and make everyone where masks who attends in person? What about all the people who have already had the vaccine? Why not let in medical professionals and first responders and anyone else who has had the vaccine?

My understanding is that the difference between a big box store and a sporting event is exposure time. In a big box store, exposure to one person is very short, as opposed to sitting with other fans for hours.

grizpack said:

Except for the fact that it won’t be any different six months down the road. We’ll still have all these same fears of the rona. Notice I said fears and not issues. Issues are real, fears are not...unless your old.

grizindabox said:
Brother Bear said:

My understanding is that the difference between a big box store and a sporting event is exposure time. In a big box store, exposure to one person is very short, as opposed to sitting with other fans for hours.

Most BSC schools are cramming 3500 people into 20,000 capacity stadiums anyways....the only place it’s an issue is Missoula and Bozeman. They’ve managed to do it in the NFL and every other level of college, not sure why we can’t limit attendance, spread them out and get on with it.

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

Most BSC schools are cramming 3500 people into 20,000 capacity stadiums anyways....the only place it’s an issue is Missoula and Bozeman. They’ve managed to do it in the NFL and every other level of college, not sure why we can’t limit attendance, spread them out and get on with it.

Not sure that is accurate.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

First off, Travel expenses are not as high as you think, if you bus it and sleep in the bus on the way to and from.

Second, if it was a money issue, why did you sign all of the extra players?

Third, play your guys or don't, but don't blame it on money or anything else.

Latest posts

Back