• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Season! 6 weeks from game time...

Brother Bear

When do players report for football? Basketball is in full swing, volleyball will be soon. When do official practices start?
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-conferences-2021-spring-season-formats-bzbz/

After the College Football Playoff tonight, college football can switch to the FCS in the coming weeks :thumb:

I think this one time spring season has the potential for a lot of publicity, NFL will be over, people will start want to watch football. Griz
can get some great exposure as ROOT can be seen nationally. Would ESPN pick up any FCS games?

Any word from the University on potential tickets, attendance in the spring?

I gotta be honest, initially I wasn't all that excited about a spring football season, but I'm starving for Griz football and I'm pumped now. Let's go!

Griz til I die said:
I gotta be honest, initially I wasn't all that excited about a spring football season, but I'm starving for Griz football and I'm pumped now. Let's go!
I'm pumped for it but still not confident it will happen.

kemajic said:
Griz til I die said:
I'm pumped for it but still not confident it will happen.
Ditto!

My worry is that if it does happen it will have limited exposure and maybe have that arena league feel to it. Especially to those people that don’t follow FCS football. Those of us FCS fans will get it but.... I hope it is a success and maybe gains new viewers!

We shall see.

OrgonGriz said:
My worry is that if it does happen it will have limited exposure and maybe have that arena league feel to it. Especially to those people that don’t follow FCS football. Those of us FCS fans will get it but.... I hope it is a success and maybe gains new viewers!

We shall see.

It won’t have an arena feel to it for the non FCS. That actually might be better. It’s more like a D-2, D-3 feel from their perspective. Therefore, non FCS fans still won’t care.

Speaking of fans, interesting stance from MLB, who plans to allow fans in limited capacity at some parks:
https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-wont-mandate-vaccination-or-covid-19-test-for-fans-attending-games-161930334.html

No proof of negative test or proof of vaccine required. Just need to wear masks when not eating and drinking and maintain social distancing.

Missouri Valley Conference seems set on getting a spring season going minus an opt out...

North Dakota State AD Larsen says the Missouri Valley could possibly shuffle some games around to make sure teams can still play eight FB games following Indiana State’s decision to opt out of the season. “One of the benefits of having 11 schools in the league is there are multiple byes against certain teams, so there might be an opportunity to reshuffle it or not. I think we’re going to look at all those options and see if there’s the ability to maintain the eight league games.” League ADs have been meeting weekly on Wednesdays, and Larsen notes “that’s the one thing that I think we need to reaffirm (Wednesday) is that the remaining institutions committed at this point to move forward. What I would hate to do is, let’s build a schedule and then two weeks later somebody else opts out and we’re trying to build it again. … From all indications that I’ve had...it seems like they are fully committed to moving forward with the spring season. There’s been no indications from any (additional) schools that they are potentially looking to opt out this spring.”

Why wouldn’t the spring season happen? I am not looking for opinions or conclusions; I am looking for reasons. Thx.

I actually think it’s going to happen. I feel like if they were going to cancel, a decision would’ve been made by now.

PlayerRep said:
Why wouldn’t the spring season happen? I am not looking for opinions or conclusions; I am looking for reasons. Thx.
Because if there cannot be substantial ticket revenue, it would be a big money loser that BSC programs can ill-afford. Follow the money. Not a lot different than last fall. If it is cancelled that will be the reason in spite of what talking points are used to justify cancellation. Hopefully a breakthrough occurs that allows sufficient attendance to offset the expenses, inflated by covid protocols.

What’s the magic number of fans needed in Missoula to make it work? How does basketball make it work with no fans... volleyball... softball etc?

Brother Bear said:
What’s the magic number of fans needed in Missoula to make it work? How does basketball make it work with no fans... volleyball... softball etc?
They don't make it work in terms of revenue; they just cost much less to run than football. Bball has about 1/6 the number of players to manage and support, including covid protocol requirements. Easier to make bus arrangements for trips, etc. Unlike the spring football proposal, Bball was able to take on OOC money road games with big schools to help cover their overheads. They had to get the cheapest possible OOC home games.

Only the AD and the BSC know the number you are asking about.

Television. More money than what's going through turnstiles. Better exposure for the small colleges and a better option than the NBA or baseball to many football junkies.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Television. More money than what's going through turnstiles. Better exposure for the small colleges and a better option than the NBA or baseball to many football junkies.
FBS, OK, not FCS. The TV money is a pittance; the viewership is small.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

What? Are you saying BSC teams will bring in good revenue from televised spring season games? I've not kept pace with what TV plans might be for a spring season but I've assumed Root or SWX (regional or local) would carry some and there's got to bits of revenue that gets to the schools. But I wouldn't think it has any meaningful effect and wouldn't even cover travel costs for road teams in the BSC. FBS football a different story and the obvious reason they played this fall.

These BSC games aren't going to be showing up on ESPN or CBS or ABC this spring. Might be a better option for a football junkie to go dig around and find on Root...or get the SWX App(?) but there's can't be much money in it for the schools.

I've been watching most of the Griz bball games on Pluto...fun to watch but not counting on the school getting ANY revenue from Pluto. Maybe enough to cover the cost of the two or three students filming and producing the event.

kemajic said:
Brother Bear said:
They don't make it work in terms of revenue; they just cost much less to run than football. Bball has about 1/6 the number of players to manage and support, including covid protocol requirements. Easier to make bus arrangements for trips, etc. Unlike the spring football proposal, Bball was able to take on OOC money road games with big schools to help cover their overheads. They had to get the cheapest possible OOC home games.

Thanks for the info KEM, makes sense. Is there an outside chance spring season could still happen (meaning enough fans allowed in to justify) or has decisions been made and it just not public yet. Would be a bummer if FCS still has playoffs and championships this spring and the Montana schools don't participate.

kemajic said:
Brother Bear said:

It is my understanding that every single one of our athletic programs runs in the red by the end of the year .... every single one. Football is then the saving grace to basically bail out every single one of these programs as we make some astronomical figure like $24 million each year in football revenue.

Obviously if we cannot have fans in the stadium, or pack that thing at least 3/4 full, then we’re just contributing to more debt. This would be one major reason a spring season would be in jeopardy.

Also I’ve heard the coaches talk from both the Griz and Cats that forcing kids to practice on a frozen turf field in January and February isn’t doing anyone any good. Then to try and play some glorified six game season where you risk some stud getting a knee blown up and ruining their fall isn’t doing anyone good either.

You couple all of that with the fact that you’re losing dollars now because of no fans and the spring season makes zero, zip, zilch sense. I miss football as much as the next guy but there are way more reasons it shouldn’t happen than reasons it should.

Back