• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Starting Griz QB

hunt-ducks

Can anyone close to the football program give us a prediction of who the starting QB will be this season? I have heard some great things about Brown, from Bozeman. Will Humphrey be the starter to begin the spring games? What about the transfers..... anyone know how they might fit-in, just as depth, or will they be given an opportunity to win the starting job? Then there is Rostad. Will he stay at the QB position?

IMO barring an injury to Humphrey he will be the starter. After that I think the field is wide open with Brown the leader at this point of time based on his time spent in the system which should make him more familiar with it. I have heard good reports about him also and have heard very little about the other 3 prospects so have no opinion on them.

Thanks for the responses. I must say from watching Humphrey last season, that I am not sold on him. He seems very inconsistent from quarter-to-quarter, and doesn't seem to have the leadership ability of Sneed. I know that Bobby is not afraid to go against the popular opinion of who should start, and I hope that Brown is the man. The guys who have expressed positive opinions of Brown's ability are individuals who know football, and have coached football. Again, based on last season, I think Humphrey should be the heir-apparent, but I am hoping that Brown will be the better option, because I am not convinced that Cam has what it takes to take the Griz to where we are accustomed to in Grizland.

hunt-ducks said:
Thanks for the responses. I must say from watching Humphrey last season, that I am not sold on him. He seems very inconsistent from quarter-to-quarter, and doesn't seem to have the leadership ability of Sneed. I know that Bobby is not afraid to go against the popular opinion of who should start, and I hope that Brown is the man. The guys who have expressed positive opinions of Brown's ability are individuals who know football, and have coached football. Again, based on last season, I think Humphrey should be the heir-apparent, but I am hoping that Brown will be the better option, because I am not convinced that Cam has what it takes to take the Griz to where we are accustomed to in Grizland.

I wasn't high on Humphrey, he was definitely a solid #2 though. However, it's been a year and plenty of people have came out of nowhere and played lights out. I think this could be Cam.

hunt-ducks said:
I think you're selling Humphrey short and he will lead the Griz offense to a great season. If Brown is that good, he'll keep the pressure on Cam and be the man if he gets hurt as Sneed did in 2019. I think our bigger questions are on D.

It's gonna be Humphrey. I'd be utterly shocked if it was anyone else. Humphrey's a good QB. He threw 4 TD passes against Portland State, and I thought he had a pretty good game against Eastern as well. He'll start next year and then after that, it may very well be Daniel Britt for 4 years! Lookout!

kemajic said:
hunt-ducks said:
I think you're selling Humphrey short and he will lead the Griz offense to a great season. If Brown is that good, he'll keep the pressure on Cam and be the man if he gets hurt as Sneed did in 2019. I think our bigger questions are on D.

I hope you're right about Humphrey. He has the arm, but I question his ability to take something off the pass when he needs to. Sneed was very good at having the proper touch on his passes, making them very catch-able. Cam seems to throw every pass on a rope. And on the leadership quality that great QBs must have (Sneed definitely had it), I am not certain that Can demands that same respect in the huddle. I guess we will see.

hunt-ducks said:
kemajic said:

I hope you're right about Humphrey. He has the arm, but I question his ability to take something off the pass when he needs to. Sneed was very good at having the proper touch on his passes, making them very catch-able. Cam seems to throw every pass on a rope. And on the leadership quality that great QBs must have (Sneed definitely had it), I am not certain that Can demands that same respect in the huddle. I guess we will see.

Cam has his teammates respect and they all like him. That is definitely a hot take. Cam will be the starter for these Spring games. You obviously haven’t watched him throw his deep passes they always have nice touch on them. If he plays well then we will lock down that battle so great opportunity. Backup QB will be the battle to watch. Brown is the leader out of Fall I hear.

dayday said:
hunt-ducks said:

Cam has his teammates respect and they all like him. That is definitely a hot take. Cam will be the starter for these Spring games. You obviously haven’t watched him throw his deep passes they always have nice touch on them. If he plays well then we will lock down that battle so great opportunity. Backup QB will be the battle to watch. Brown is the leader out of Fall I hear.

I watched every Griz game that Cam played in. We will just have to disagree on his touch on passes. I have seen him throw ropes on swing passes which were too hot for a completion. Touch applies to short passes as well as long ones.

hunt-ducks said:
dayday said:

I watched every Griz game that Cam played in. We will just have to disagree on his touch on passes. I have seen him throw ropes on swing passes which were too hot for a completion. Touch applies to short passes as well as long ones.

He has thrown some bullets when a little finesse would have been the better choice. I think that is something easily rectified. He deserves some slack and age/experience with the system will hopefully do wonders for his progression. Regardless, I don’t worry about QB. This year or into the future. Especially with the O line weights and depth. Griz offense will be very potent.

I touted how talented Kris Brown was (more than anyone) since his HS senior season. It's funny how no one talked about him especially because of Rostad. But now that more people have seen Brown and writers are touting him that the casual fan is catching on.

Todays 406mtsports:

Who takes over at quarterback?
Replacing Dalton Sneed is a big task, and the Griz have plenty of options in their QB room.

Senior Cam Humphrey is the most experienced of the group. He started in place of an injured Sneed for three games in 2019 and has been the backup for two seasons.

Humphrey may have been the favorite to win the job last spring, but now other quarterbacks have had more time to learn the offense and become more mature to handle the physical rigors.

Kris Brown is the next-most-experienced QB in the system despite being a redshirt freshman. The Bozeman native is the tallest at 6-foot-4 and has shown he can throw a pretty ball after coming in as a (AA) first-team all-stater.

Sophomore Robbie Patterson transferred from junior college ahead of last year’s spring camp, and junior Kirk Rygol came to the program from South Florida in May. True freshman Carson Rostad has been in the program since the fall, and Daniel Britt signed in December.

In making a decision, the Griz will either be going with a one-year option in Humphrey and then find a new starter in 2022, or they could go all-in for a multi-year starter. Naming a backup would be important in case of injury, but players across college football, especially quarterbacks, have entered the transfer portal if they aren’t named a starter, and there's only one QB position.

Two spring games should give Hauck and Co. a much better look after fall practices and spring camp.

“There’s a lot (of people) in coaching that think playing an actual game at the end of spring ball would be a good deal and have thought that for a long time,” Hauck said. “The NCAA’s never gone that direction. But I think it’s a great deal. It’ll be productive.”

Didn’t we get like a seven-time Boost Mobile Montana POY to play QB? Did he not end up coming to UM?

IntuitiveGriz said:
I touted how talented Kris Brown was (more than anyone) since his HS senior season. It's funny how no one talked about him especially because of Rostad. But now that more people have seen Brown and writers are touting him that the casual fan is catching on.

Todays 406mtsports:

Who takes over at quarterback?
Replacing Dalton Sneed is a big task, and the Griz have plenty of options in their QB room.

Senior Cam Humphrey is the most experienced of the group. He started in place of an injured Sneed for three games in 2019 and has been the backup for two seasons.

Humphrey may have been the favorite to win the job last spring, but now other quarterbacks have had more time to learn the offense and become more mature to handle the physical rigors.

Kris Brown is the next-most-experienced QB in the system despite being a redshirt freshman. The Bozeman native is the tallest at 6-foot-4 and has shown he can throw a pretty ball after coming in as a (AA) first-team all-stater.

Sophomore Robbie Patterson transferred from junior college ahead of last year’s spring camp, and junior Kirk Rygol came to the program from South Florida in May. True freshman Carson Rostad has been in the program since the fall, and Daniel Britt signed in December.

In making a decision, the Griz will either be going with a one-year option in Humphrey and then find a new starter in 2022, or they could go all-in for a multi-year starter. Naming a backup would be important in case of injury, but players across college football, especially quarterbacks, have entered the transfer portal if they aren’t named a starter, and there's only one QB position.

Two spring games should give Hauck and Co. a much better look after fall practices and spring camp.

“There’s a lot (of people) in coaching that think playing an actual game at the end of spring ball would be a good deal and have thought that for a long time,” Hauck said. “The NCAA’s never gone that direction. But I think it’s a great deal. It’ll be productive.”

I think that this article brings up a very good point that I had not considered, and that is the prospect of having Brown enter the transfer portal if he can't win the starting QB job. If the QB competition is close between Humphrey and Brown, I go with Brown if I am Hauck. Cam will leave after this season, and Brown could start for three years. Cam might have paid his dues as a back-up, but Bobby should (and will, I assume) make the move which is best for the long-term health of the program. I know everyone is thinking that the new signee from Vegas will be the starter next season, but I think that will be a real stretch.

Back