• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kris Brown

mtgrizrule

I figured it would be great to have a thread for and about Kris Brown. After all, many comments are going to get lost in so many other various threads. I have a feeling, he is going to play a huge role over the next 4 years. Not sure yet, how soon that role will begin though.

With that said, the main reason I attended the GRIZ/CWU game was the hope to see Kris Brown play. Granted, just being back in WAGRIZ was terrific and much needed for me. Seeing Kris Brown, made the cold weather and lack of competition well worth freezing my ass off.

I know, it's too early in his career and 2021 to have a true hold of his potential. However, I LOVED what I saw, just not sure how much of the results were due to playing a lower division team. My initial impression, he's a player with a very high ceiling. How high, what kind of potential? I will go out on a long limb, he is capable of being an all time great GRIZ QB, in the TOP 5 discussion. With his arm strength and size, there could be next level interest.

What can we take from the CWU game, regarding Brown?
(1) He has a strong arm. Despite the wind, he made throwing the ball look effortless and easy.
(2) He knows what kind of pass to make when. He wasn't rifling every pass. Many of his passes were with terrific touch. Take note of his TD pass to White. He floated that pass perfectly, and made it easy for White to make that TD grab. Yet at other times, he didn't hesitate to put more mustard into tight windows. I can't recall 1 pass where he made the wrong type of throw to his intended targets.
(3) Did you notice, most his passes were made to what seemed like pretty open WR's, compared to Humphrey, why is that? He knew his progressions, focused on all options, and consistently made the right decisions.
(4) He has terrific footwork and more speed than we expected. Meaning, he keeps plays alive in the pocket with subtle foot movements in the pocket. He can also scramble, just enough to extend plays, while keeping his head up. His TD run was rather surprising.
(5) Defenses won't be able to focus on attacking or over loading one side of the field. His 1st pass was a roll out to his left, throwing against his body, and delivering a perfect pass. Not many qb's can make that kind of pass, let alone a RS Freshman QB. The QB's that can make that throw at that age are usually playing in a Power 5 program.
(6) He is tough, like Humphrey, he didn't shy away from contact and fought for extra yards.
(7) He protected the ball when he ran it, and didn't force his passes into coverage. I actually had peace of mind, watching him control the offense.
(8) He makes his teammates better. He accumulated most of his stats and results without the luxury of 1st teamers. I feel he earned the opportunity to see how well he does with a full 1st team.

With all that said, getting Brown key reps with 1st teamers, against better competition, will be key moving forward for the coaches, Brown, and the team. I won't be surprised to see Brown much earlier against PSU, regardless of how well Humphrey is playing. As a coach, there is no way, I could fight my curiosity of how much potential Brown has. His performance against CWU turned my head. I would absolutely commit a few series to Brown, in the 1st half, against PSU, then go from there.

I'm not slighting Humphrey at all. I like his experience, leadership, and toughness. The GRIZ are a conference contender with either at QB. However, I don't see Humphrey having the big "IT" factor. I see Brown as having the difficult to find "IT" factor. Some of you know exactly what I'm referring to. Others of you, will question that. Please don't ask to define it, I just can't. I just know "it" when I see "it". Let's see how often Brown can give the team the "it" factor?

I don't post much these days, for my own reasons. However, I am excited for the return of GRIZ football. Kris Brown has taken that excitement to a whole new level though. Here is to hoping and praying, Brown and the team will continue progress and impress.

You broke the #1 rule of fight club.....err....Egriz. Don’t EVER just post a players name with no other explanation in the title. I automatically peed a little assuming he hit the transfer portal. I think you may have done this on purpose! ;)

HookedonGriz said:
You broke the #1 rule of fight club.....err....Egriz. Don’t EVER just post a players name with no other explanation in the title. I automatically peed a little assuming he hit the transfer portal. I think you may have done this on purpose! ;)

:lol: :clap:

HookedonGriz said:

You're right.
(1) It gets more clicks out of curiosity. Chris appreciates that.
(2) I'm stubborn. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
granitegriz said:
Agree with everything mtgrizrule, thanks for posting!

Thank you. I actually miss, some egrizzers. :thumb:
Humphrey has plenty of "it" factor and demonstrated it in two complete games last year. When he demonstrates it again Saturday will you be man enough to acknowledge?

kemajic said:
mtgrizrule said:
Thank you. I actually miss, some egrizzers. :thumb:
Humphrey has plenty of "it" factor and demonstrated it in two complete games last year. When he demonstrates it again Saturday will you be man enough to acknowledge?

I'd welcome that. However, "It" can be different for everyone.
Maybe, the difference really was, Brown made better decisions. Meanwhile, Humphrey's confidence and competitiveness is what makes him force a few too many passes Who knows when, I'm sure, in time we will see that from Brown from time to time. I just feel, Humphrey forces things a little too often.

To me, and a few others, Humphrey isn't consistent at read progressions. He misses some great offensive opportunities because of that too. Hope that makes better sense.

mtgrizrule said:
kemajic said:

Maybe, the difference really was, Brown made better decisions. Meanwhile, Humphrey's confidence and competitiveness is what makes him force a few too many passes Who knows when, I'm sure, in time we will see that from Brown from time to time. I just feel, Humphrey forces things a little too often.

To me, and a few others, Humphrey isn't consistent at read progressions. He misses some great offensive opportunities because of that too. Hope that makes better sense.
That is a lot to conclude from an April 10 game and such a small sample size.

Great post grizrule! The difference in arm talent and athleticism between Brown and Humphrey is glaring to say the least. Keep in mind that's not a knock on Humphrey. People will see soon enough but I don't think Hauck wants to advertise what he has in Brown during the spring. Brown will get some reps again this weekend and then be poised to start come fall.

kemajic said:
mtgrizrule said:

Hence this in the original post. "Let's see how often Brown can give the team the "it" factor?"
As for sample size, on the opposite end of this. To me, "sample size" with Humphrey, shows he can force a few too many passes, and doesn't go through his progressions very well. It's safe to say, he needs to improve in those areas, based on his sample size. Just my opinion.

StumptownGriz said:
Great post grizrule! The difference in arm talent and athleticism between Brown and Humphrey is glaring to say the least. Keep in mind that's not a knock on Humphrey. People will see soon enough but I don't think Hauck wants to advertise what he has in Brown during the spring. Brown will get some reps again this weekend and then be poised to start come fall.
We need to see a lot more of Brown before the conclusions many are jumping to are born out. What is not athletic about Humphrey; did you miss his impressive runs for first downs when he saw the openings?

StumptownGriz said:

I agree with you. That isn't taking away from Humphrey, but crediting how good Brown can be. For the record, I'd take either QB and be confident in either, leading the team. To me, Brown screams talent at me. If he can reach his physical and mental potential, he's going to be "special". I don't see as high of a ceiling with Humphrey. Fact is, Brown is turning heads when he plays.

kemajic said:
StumptownGriz said:
We need to see a lot more of Brown before the conclusions many are jumping to are born out. What is not athletic about Humphrey; did you miss his impressive runs for first downs when he saw the openings?

You are right and I did state in my original post, it is early for Brown and the 2021 season. If you didn't read that, read it again. Yes, Humphrey is athletic, tough, has leadership qualities, etc. However, his athleticism doesn't jump off the charts like Sneed did often, or like Brown's combination of arm strength, knowledge of what passes to make when, and field progression does.

To me, Humphrey's time in the offense, experience, and leadership, he should be a runaway #1. Why isn't he? It's not because of himself. It's because Brown is so young and has made so much positive progress in a short time. Humphrey aside, Brown is well ahead of where most expected him to be at. I honestly didn't expect him to be in the running until his 3rd year. I think, that was a fair and consistent consensus. After all, he was recruited mostly for raw upside potential. It takes time to build a player on raw potential. He's exceeding the time frame to see significant playing time. We're seeing glimpses of what he is capable of. He just needs to prove, he can do things consistently well. In that regard, you are right, the sample size is small. There is a chance, we very well could see him struggle too. However, I've seen enough to give him an opportunity to share 1st team snaps, and have the best man win, come fall.

mtgrizrule said:
kemajic said:

You are right and I did state in my original post, it is early for Brown and the 2021 season. If you didn't read that, read it again. Yes, Humphrey is athletic, tough, has leadership qualities, etc. However, his athleticism doesn't jump off the charts like Sneed did often, or like Brown's combination of arm strength, knowledge of what passes to make when, and field progression does.

To me, Humphrey's time in the offense, experience, and leadership, he should be a runaway #1. Why isn't he? It's not because of himself. It's because Brown is so young and has made so much positive progress in a short time. Humphrey aside, Brown is well ahead of where most expected him to be at. I honestly didn't expect him to be in the running until his 3rd year. I think, that was a fair and consistent consensus. After all, he was recruited mostly for raw upside potential. It takes time to build a player on raw potential. He's exceeding the time frame to see significant playing time. We're seeing glimpses of what he is capable of. He just needs to prove, he can do things consistently well. In that regard, you are right, the sample size is small. There is a chance, we very well could see him struggle too. However, I've seen enough to give him an opportunity to share 1st team snaps, and have the best man win, come fall.
I suspect that is a better comparison to what the coaches are thinking. A QB rarely gets through a season undinged, so Brown will get his shots in real game situations, I'm sure. We all have to be very pleased with our QB situation after losing Sneed. I'd bet neither of these guys throw 5 picks in a game. I have yet to see a QB incapable of a bad game.

kemajic said:
mtgrizrule said:

I suspect that is a better comparison to what the coaches are thinking. A QB rarely gets through a season undinged, so Brown will get his shots in real game situations, I'm sure. We all have to be very pleased with our QB situation after losing Sneed. I'd bet neither of these guys throw 5 picks in a game. I have yet to see a QB incapable of a bad game.

Agree 👍

StumptownGriz said:

I agree that Brown looked decent, however, I think it is those on Egriz that have made this into a QB controversy. Hauck said coming out of fall that Cam is the starter and until he says otherwise, by the way Cam starting this spring continues that narrative, Cam is the guy. The best QB will start, and right now that is Cam. Watching practice, Brown is by far inferior with just his ability to lead the offense, just not enough polish or time with the offense and not enough leadership ability as a youngster. Hopefully this will continue to progress and he can be a three year starter. I just don't see that happening this year.

Not to be a buzzkill, but while Brown looked good, the sample size is too small. I have heard people make similar comments about QBs who could not sustain success, dating back to Alan Powell (another good guy and Montana native), but it is too early to get very enthusiastic. I am certainly glad Brown is here, just not ready to anoint him.

mtgrizrule said:
kemajic said:

Hey guys, here is what the "IT" factor looks like. Remember, Montana struggled to barely a winning record the previous year with Freshman Dickensen riding the pine. I doubt Bobby will make the same mistake Don Read made by sticking with an under performing upperclassman at QB. Cam and Wilberger seem very much alike to me. And just as Tom Brady was overlooked in the NFL draft, Dickensen was a walk on at UM.

"The legend of former Montana quarterback Dave Dickenson can be traced back to when he led the Griz to a come-from-behind win over South Dakota State in the 1993 opener.

Dickenson helped the Griz erase a 38-7 deficit early in the third quarter on their way to a 52-48 win over the NCAA Division II team. They scored 45 points in the final 19 minutes and an NCAA-record 39 points in the fourth quarter."

Anybody who saw Dave's HS play or knew his win-loss record (23-0) knew he had the "IT" factor well before he entered his first Griz game. Like MTGR, I see it in Kris Brown. Like Dickensen, this kid appears to know what is going on with the defense just about every play, and where the ball needs to go.

mtgrizrule said:
kemajic said:

Hence this in the original post. "Let's see how often Brown can give the team the "it" factor?"
As for sample size, on the opposite end of this. To me, "sample size" with Humphrey, shows he can force a few too many passes, and doesn't go through his progressions very well. It's safe to say, he needs to improve in those areas, based on his sample size. Just my opinion.

New EGriz rules: When posting in Brown thread or threads the terms "**it" factor and "Sample size" should not be used. Much appreciated...the "**it" stops here!!!

Back