• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Messy new rules

Buttegrizzle said:
https://apple.news/AZV57kRHSSsqrW31m-ZFNSA

Sounds like a move up or die?
Or: Move up AND die. I have no idea how that will all work out in the end, or even if it will. But I can easily envision a case where being in the the middle is the worst possible position: Your best players get poached by the rich-bitches. Second-best players get to start. Third-best players (your back-ups) drop down in search of more PT.

I sense another un-intended consequence with a higher likelihood: The overall quality of play could decline.

Suppose you're lower in the pecking order. Why recruit and develop a player who has promise but needs to polish some part(s)of his/her game? Just when you might get a chance to benefit from all that time and effort, he/she gets poached by a program higher on the ladder. Great for the player, you say? Sure, but after a few of those, the coaches -- in their own self-interest -- will look to the transfer portal for some players "good enough" to make a team. That goes all the way down ... with lesser programs losing their "projects" just when they might pay off. This, of course, has already happened ... and it's likely to become more prevalent.

Suppose you're in that top echelon. You really need to have backups to your key starters. But your backups all want more PT. If you spend time "developing" them -- fixing their weaknesses -- they either leave, or take over from the starter ... who then hits the transfer portal. This too has already happened.

The scene is not totally bleak. Most of the coaches I've known enjoyed helping their players get better, and I don't think that will change. But, in the end, their teams have to win games. In what looks to be the new environment, they may simply not have the hours in the day to take on a lot of projects. Nope ... grab someone who's good enough from the portal, fix a few weaknesses, and plug him/her in.

In either scenario, you end up with less time spent on player development and more time spent trolling the transfer portal.

Sounds like the movie "Blue Chips" is coming to us live. For example, you could have marquee basketball players get together and decide what school to go to for a couple years and win a few championships. The same could happen to any sport.

I like it. And why not make it UM, an out of the way mid major that rarely makes much noise in the NCAA tourney, but such a cool school and town... we just need 4-5 blue chips to converge on TDC to turn us into a Cinderella story even Mark Few would be jealous of...

Hey I can dream.

IdaGriz01 said:
Buttegrizzle said:
https://apple.news/AZV57kRHSSsqrW31m-ZFNSA

Sounds like a move up or die?
Or: Move up AND die. I have no idea how that will all work out in the end, or even if it will. But I can easily envision a case where being in the the middle is the worst possible position: Your best players get poached by the rich-bitches. Second-best players get to start. Third-best players (your back-ups) drop down in search of more PT.

I sense another un-intended consequence with a higher likelihood: The overall quality of play could decline.

Suppose you're lower in the pecking order. Why recruit and develop a player who has promise but needs to polish some part(s)of his/her game? Just when you might get a chance to benefit from all that time and effort, he/she gets poached by a program higher on the ladder. Great for the player, you say? Sure, but after a few of those, the coaches -- in their own self-interest -- will look to the transfer portal for some players "good enough" to make a team. That goes all the way down ... with lesser programs losing their "projects" just when they might pay off. This, of course, has already happened ... and it's likely to become more prevalent.

Suppose you're in that top echelon. You really need to have backups to your key starters. But your backups all want more PT. If you spend time "developing" them -- fixing their weaknesses -- they either leave, or take over from the starter ... who then hits the transfer portal. This too has already happened.

The scene is not totally bleak. Most of the coaches I've known enjoyed helping their players get better, and I don't think that will change. But, in the end, their teams have to win games. In what looks to be the new environment, they may simply not have the hours in the day to take on a lot of projects. Nope ... grab someone who's good enough from the portal, fix a few weaknesses, and plug him/her in.

In either scenario, you end up with less time spent on player development and more time spent trolling the transfer portal.

Great post!

I have what is very likely a stupid question:

Given that CFB programs (and thus players) are finite, where will there be room? That article said something like “the top division will take the best from the lower division, then the lower division will take from the division even lower, etc.”. But where do the displaced upper division players go?

Say an elite FCS WR bumps up to FBS because he doesn’t have to sit out. Where does the player he replaces go? Another FBS team? Then, where does the player he replaces go? And so on. At some point, won’t someone have to transfer down to get PT? I honestly don’t know.

I totally agree with Ida that player development under a consistent staff could and likely would take a hit. But, these displaced players have to find homes somewhere, right?

CDAGRIZ said:
I have what is very likely a stupid question:

Given that CFB programs (and thus players) are finite, where will there be room? That article said something like “the top division will take the best from the lower division, then the lower division will take from the division even lower, etc.”. But where do the displaced upper division players go?

Say an elite FCS WR bumps up to FBS because he doesn’t have to sit out. Where does the player he replaces go? Another FBS team? Then, where does the player he replaces go? And so on. At some point, won’t someone have to transfer down to get PT? I honestly don’t know.

I totally agree with Ida that player development under a consistent staff could and likely would take a hit. But, these displaced players have to find homes somewhere, right?

Guys will learn how to game the system like they learn to do with any system, players and programs. Those displaced guys from top programs should be able to catch on with lower level programs, they have to have talent to get recruited by a Michigan. An FCS program would be wise to have a guy solely focused on keeping track of that group. As we all know, s**t rolls downhill and the marginal HS prospect will be forced to wait tii the musical chairs stop or go D2 or D3 earlier. I'd agree that some of your displaced group will lose out until all the playas (teams and individuals) figure the new game out. Also agree with you and Ida about player development and think that will be the worst thing about the scenario.

AZGrizFan said:
it certainly doesn't bode well for the best of the best players of lower divisions.

Also buries any notion about "student athletes", you can't argue changing academic paths like changing boxers furthers the educational aspirations.

Let’s just say with the velocity of the revolving door we’re gonna be needing those player names back on the jerseys...

It sounds like it will be like MLB single A baseball, Every year could be a crap shoot. Never know who will suit up.

Yukon said:
It sounds like it will be like MLB single A baseball, Every year could be a crap shoot. Never know who will suit up.
And most of single A baseball has been canceled.

Hoops watcher said:
CDAGRIZ said:
... Given that CFB programs (and thus players) are finite, where will there be room? That article said something like “the top division will take the best from the lower division, then the lower division will take from the division even lower, etc.”. But where do the displaced upper division players go?

Guys will learn how to game the system like they learn to do with any system, players and programs. Those displaced guys from top programs should be able to catch on with lower level programs, they have to have talent to get recruited by a Michigan. An FCS program would be wise to have a guy solely focused on keeping track of that group. As we all know, s**t rolls downhill and the marginal HS prospect will be forced to wait till the musical chairs stop or go D2 or D3 earlier. I'd agree that some of your displaced group will lose out until all the playas (teams and individuals) figure the new game out. Also agree with you and Ida about player development and think that will be the worst thing about the scenario.
As we all expected, and has already been on many news outlets, the NCAA made the one-free-transfer rule official. Here's a link to a good article about some of the possible impacts: https://www.espn.com/college-sports...il-panel-formally-approves-new-transfer-rules

The article addresses many of the point kicked around on eGriz, including players who can't find a "home." But here's one of my favorite quotes:
Michigan State coach Mel Tucker is one of many coaches who has already designed his program's recruiting operation similar to the way pro teams have college scouting for the draft and pro scouting for free agency.

"We have someone that monitors the portal, sits there and presses refresh every 30 minutes," Tucker said. The Spartans have had more than a dozen players transfer out this offseason and more than a dozen transfer in.
I love the notion that the overseer has to hit Refresh so often because the landscape can change that fast. :lol:

Hoops watcher said:
AZGrizFan said:
it certainly doesn't bode well for the best of the best players of lower divisions.

Also buries any notion about "student athletes", you can't argue changing academic paths like changing boxers furthers the educational aspirations.

I disagree. About 80% of degrees are offered at almost every school.

Hoops watcher said:
AZGrizFan said:

Yeah like college students never transfer. 37 percent of all students transfer at least once and 45 percent of that group transfer at least twice. Dumbest comment so far from a dumb old boomer. Congrats

Jesse said:
Hoops watcher said:

Yeah like college students never transfer. 37 percent of all students transfer at least once and 45 percent of that group transfer at least twice. Dumbest comment so far from a dumb old boomer. Congrats

The discussion is football players, not other college students. Jeez, how dumb are you?

PlayerRep said:
Jesse said:

The discussion is football players, not other college students. Jeez, how dumb are you?
So football players aren’t college students huh? Jeez you are a pompous asshole. want to me up at the mo club for a beer and an ass kicking Jackie ? Probably not you would try to sue me lol

Jesse said:
PlayerRep said:
So football players aren’t college students huh? Jeez you are a pompous asshole. want to me up at the mo club for a beer and an ass kicking Jackie ? Probably not you would try to sue me lol

Of course, football players are college students, but their lives and patterns are very different than regular students.

Let's meet tomorrow at 5pm at the Mo Club. Let me know if you are coming.

Back