• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS Selection Show (Sunday)

IdaGriz01

The 16 teams selected to play in the FCS playoffs will be announced tomorrow morning at 9:30 am MT. The "show" will be broadcast on ESPNU (208 for us on DirecTV).

Meanwhile, good old Craig Haley has outdone himself in making his personal picks. Here's the link: https://theanalyst.com/na/2021/04/fcs-football-bracketology-projecting-the-spring-playoff-field/

He lists all the auto-bid winners, then makes his own guesses about the six at-large slots. Not sure what he was smoking, but he projects that the MVFC will get four at-large bids to go with the autobid. I'm not buying that. I just do not see the committee picking five teams from the same conference. (I'll leave it at that.)

Holy Cross and Monmouth being automatic qualifiers after only playing THREE games shows just what a joke this spring playoff is.

IdaGriz01 said:
The 16 teams selected to play in the FCS playoffs will be announced tomorrow morning at 9:30 am MT. The "show" will be broadcast on ESPNU (208 for us on DirecTV).

Meanwhile, good old Craig Haley has outdone himself in making his personal picks. Here's the link: https://theanalyst.com/na/2021/04/fcs-football-bracketology-projecting-the-spring-playoff-field/

He lists all the auto-bid winners, then makes his own guesses about the six at-large slots. Not sure what he was smoking, but he projects that the MVFC will get four at-large bids to go with the autobid. I'm not buying that. I just do not see the committee picking five teams from the same conference. (I'll leave it at that.)

Curious what teams he is leaving out that you think should be in?

grizindabox said:
IdaGriz01 said:

My main point is that I don't see the committee wanting that many teams from one conference. The second round could end up being essentially a conference replay. Don't get me wrong ... the four at-large possibilities he's picked are worthy candidates. But there are others, such as:
Kennesaw State (4-1) [Big South]
Murray State (5-2) [OVC]
Tarleton (5-3) Indie
ETSU (4-2) [SoCon]

No question in my mind that NDSU will get an at-large bid. And perhaps, or even likely, one more. Personally, I'd pick Missouri State ... they had some impressive wins (Southern Illinois and UNI) and their only loss was to NDSU.

IdaGriz01 said:

East Tennessee or Mercer may get an at-large. I personally don't think the Southern, Pioneer ought to be in the conversation. The CAA had one hell of a time even playing games this year. How about Northern Arizona at 3-2? It'll be an argument no matter what the committee does just like any other year.

Kind of nice to even be talking about it and I wish to hell the Griz would have played one more game, but that's all in the past now. That NDSU-SDSU game yesterday was one hell of a game and I like to think this fall the Griz linemen are going to more than match up with any MVFC roster.

IdaGriz01 said:
grizindabox said:
My main point is that I don't see the committee wanting that many teams from one conference. The second round could end up being essentially a conference replay. Don't get me wrong ... the four at-large possibilities he's picked are worthy candidates. But there are others, such as:
Murray State (5-2) [OVC]
Tarleton (5-3) Indie
ETSU (4-2) [SoCon]

No question in my mind that NDSU will get an at-large bid. And perhaps, or even likely, one more. Personally, I'd pick Missouri State ... they had some impressive wins (Southern Illinois and UNI) and their only loss was to NDSU.

Tarleton isn't even eligible.

Montanabob said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Murray State (5-2) [OVC]
Tarleton (5-3) Indie
ETSU (4-2) [SoCon]

Tarleton isn't even eligible.
Okay. Could have sworn that I read something that said 2020-2021 was their first year of eligibility in D-I/FCS.

Oh well.

Okay, got Delaware, Southern Illinois, Missouri State (think ESPN isn't salivating over Petrino vs. Petrino(s)), SDSU, JMU, NDSU, Jacksonville State...

My favorite part of the selection show was Jay Walker giving the Griz a shoutout saying that we should be in the field but didn’t have enough games to qualify. I didn’t have the heart to tell him 😂

cclarkblues said:
get'em_griz said:
What was the compliment?

Said the Griz from Montana were really good but just didn't have enough games to qualify.

I was curious so I looked up the spring playoff "rules" which said that in order to be considered for the at large field, teams must have played at least four games. I couldn't find any mention of all four games having to be fcs, although I'm sure quality of opponent would be a point of consideration. It makes me wonder if the Griz should have tried to find a couple more opponents, although that may have been nigh on impossible. This whole spring playoff is just insane.

grizindabox said:
IdaGriz01 said:
I'm not buying that. I just do not see the committee picking five teams from the same conference. (I'll leave it at that.)
Buy it.
Yep. Didn't think it would happen ... no problem that it did. As I said, those other MVFC teams are all worthy contenders.

Got a huge kick out of the JMU coach thanking the committee for making his job easier ... just giving them a bigger chip on the shoulder. :)

Back