• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz corners

garizzalies

Holy-moly! The Griz are stacked at the CB position. Hicks-Onu, Walker, Soe, and Ford all looked substantially better than any set The Griz have had for possibly over a decade. And Cotton and others still waiting in the wings. 4 transfers from FBS for these 2 spots, is that right?

I don’t think The Griz have had this kind of talent and depth at CB since Hauck’s prior runs to the chipper. Like Tru, Swink, Thompson, and I believe I am forgetting someone from that era.

Seems like Delaney and Stitt did not recruit the CB position very well (or at all) and simply used converted WRs.

The overall talent at CB gives Baer and the D incredible flexibility and unpredictability. Takes the D to another level. The confidence to leave them on an island allows the D to be more aggressive elsewhere, like stopping the run

It's absolutely necessary with the D that Baer runs. Seems like an embarrassment of riches, but with 5 DB's in the system, depth is key to keeping guys healthy & rested and able to bring it for a full 60 minutes.

Forgot to mention their size, too.
Talent aside, I don’t think The Griz have ever had this average height for the 2-deep at CB.

AZGrizFan said:
It's absolutely necessary with the D that Baer runs. Seems like an embarrassment of riches, but with 5 DB's in the system, depth is key to keeping guys healthy & rested and able to bring it for a full 60 minutes.

Correct. This defense requires CBs who can cover, but also are able to offer run support, especially on the edges. Tackling skills for our CBs are a necessity.

I don’t know if it will happen but it would be awesome if we could add Bradfords son into CB room he signed with Troy State out of high school .

grizfan1984 said:
I don’t know if it will happen but it would be awesome if we could add Bradfords son into CB room he signed with Troy State out of high school .

Is he leaving Troy State?

hunt-ducks said:
grizfan1984 said:

Is he leaving Troy State?

Not sure, he signed with them on signing day so he’d have to get out of his LOI first but he would be a great get.

AZGrizFan said:
The simultaneous hit put on by Joe and Robby was a thing of beauty.

Where did you come from, where did you go, where did you come from Autjoe Soe!

That RB had to be thinking the same thing. Ouch!

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
The simultaneous hit put on by Joe and Robby was a thing of beauty.

Where did you come from, where did you go, where did you come from Autjoe Soe!

That RB had to be thinking the same thing. Ouch!

Put them together at corner and you have the "Cotton Eye Soe" defense?

BWahlberg said:
Don't forget TraJon Cotton too who should be full strength this fall
He may be good enough to start, as well, which just speaks to how good this group of guys is.

7 CBs on the roster.
3 FBS transfers, and one with “interest from Utah State”.

Big and young.

#3 TRAJON COTTON 6'1" 196 lbs R-SO

#7 OMAR HICKS ONU 6'1" 194 lbs R-SR

#8 CORBIN WALKER 5'11" 177 lbs SO

#21 JUSTIN FORD 6'2" 186 lbs R-JR

#23 AUTJOE SOE 6'1" 173 lbs FR

#27 TREVIN GRADNEY 6'0" 180 lbs R-FR

#29 RYAN RESSLER 5'10" 176 lbs R-FR

garizzalies said:
7 CBs on the roster.

Big and young.

Ford probably isn't quite 6'2". I know that's what he's listed at.

garizzalies said:
7 CBs on the roster.

Big and young.

F = MVV, and these kids bring a lot of V into their tackles.

kemajic said:
garizzalies said:
7 CBs on the roster.

Big and young.

F = MVV, and these kids bring a lot of V into their tackles.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nothing like a physics lesson to lighten the day.

I paid close attention to Justin Ford (21) in these two spring games. He challenges the QB to throw his way. He has great recovery. On multiple run plays, he called the run before the ball was snapped. His tackling was picture perfect! I didn't think he was over 6 foot tall though?

reinell30 said:
I paid close attention to Justin Ford (21) in these two spring games. He challenges the QB to throw his way. He has great recovery. On multiple run plays, he called the run before the ball was snapped. His tackling was picture perfect! I didn't think he was over 6 foot tall though?

He's over 6. Just not quite 6'2". He's a nice tackler and hitter for his size/weight.

reinell30 said:

His recovery speed is incredible. He will absolutely be a starter in the fall.

Had a quick IG convo with Trajon Cotton...he posted a bunch of clips on IG of him shutting down Griz receivers in practice...said the foot feels phenomenal and he’s BACK! Man, he looks GREAT on film....we are absolutely loaded in the defensive backfield....

Back