• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU article in Spokesman

CatGrad-UMGradStu

Although interesting, it's difficult for me to grasp Dickey's take on this student-athlete friendly rule change.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/apr/20/eastern-washington-navigating-mass-exodus-of-athle/?amp-content=amp

“We’re the victim of our own success”, is one hell of a reframe. A more accurate portrayal might be, we’re a cash-strapped crappy little commuter school in a crappy little conference and located in a crappy little town.

Prior to the transfer portal, EWU was like the Hotel California, Student Athletes could check out anytime they liked but they could never leave.

With this year’s open for all transfer portal, it’s like a full-on jailbreak.

Does anyone else get the sense the EWU's AD is kind of a dullard? It's seems like this came as a surprise to her and everyone in the department. Uh, yeah, the bball coach literally said he left because he didn't know if he'd be able to operate day to day. I mean, if you were forced to go there because of grades or not peaking early enough talent wise, you'd definitely bolt at the first sign of interest from nearly ANY other DI school. How can this shock anyone, let alone their AD?

Her naïve tone kind of reminds me of when people say, "[Insert coach] won't leave, he said he loves it here and wants his kids to grow up here" when the offer is for an 8x pay increase in a better climate with more resources to do his job.

EverettGriz said:
I honestly don't know how they get athletes to commit there in the first place.
It's hard to argue their success with what they've had to work with.

They have really low academic standards, that's how they get the kids they get. Their entire math curriculum was nearly decertified a few years back.

kemajic said:
EverettGriz said:
I honestly don't know how they get athletes to commit there in the first place.

Twelve still active NFL/CFL players since like 2010, several of whom are currently starters I believe? You could put the talent they have enjoyed in a hayfield with BYO camping chairs for the fans, a baked potato for a HC, and a couple medicine balls in a barn for a training facility, and probably they still might've won the BSC a couple times.

We talk about Eastern having low admittance standards, but for NCAA athletes they have to have the same core classes and pass through a clearing house before they are eligible as Freshman. Typical requirement is they have a minimum GPA (typically 2.5) and if they drop below that their minimum ACT/SAT increases. That is true for every one of the 300 plus Division 1 schools. Maybe Eastern requires less of their students when they get into school but players CANNOT participate until they meet those requirements as first time Freshman. Eastern cannot establish standards for admittance for their athletes that are lower than the NCAA requirements. You can go above, but not below.

To be honest, UM is most certainly not boasting of high entrance requirements. And, furthermore, it is among the weakest of public state universities academically.

zootownrox said:
They have really low academic standards, that's how they get the kids they get. Their entire math curriculum was nearly decertified a few years back.

The NCAA sets the standards on who qualifies...but I’m sure you knew that. What kids on EWUs bball team or football team wouldn’t have qualified at UM?

CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:

Twelve still active NFL/CFL players since like 2010, several of whom are currently starters I believe? You could put the talent they have enjoyed in a hayfield with BYO camping chairs for the fans, a baked potato for a HC, and a couple medicine balls in a barn for a training facility, and probably they still might've won the BSC a couple times.

This is pretty funny

GrizLA said:
To be honest, UM is most certainly not boasting of high entrance requirements. And, furthermore, it is among the weakest of public state universities academically.
Sorry, what part of this post is honest?

marceagfan5 said:
zootownrox said:

The NCAA sets the standards on who qualifies...but I’m sure you knew that. What kids on EWUs bball team or football team wouldn’t have qualified at UM?

It's not about getting in it's about staying eligible and that's were the poor academics in EWU come in.

zootownrox said:
marceagfan5 said:

It's not about getting in it's about staying eligible and that's were the poor academics in EWU come in.

lol...I assume you know this because you attended both Universities?

marceagfan5 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

This is pretty funny

Well, I'm not sure how y'all did it considering what you had to work with. Overcoming all odds to be successful in the BSC with NFL talent on the roster for a decade is impressive. ;)

SaskGriz said:
GrizLA said:

All of it. Easily proven. Go for it.

GrizLA said:
SaskGriz said:

All of it. Easily proven. Go for it.

Sad but true and EWU as much as we would like to think otherwise does a number of things very well. Not to mention their major Colleges are in Spokane itself in very nice new "campus" Not to mention in terms of national rankings leaves U of M behind.... (USNWR anyway)

Serious question: Where do the coaches take kids for dinner on recruiting visits? They must drive all the way into Spokane, talking wildly about how good the food is at Zips Drive in, and how they could have gone there instead but couldn't get a reservation this weekend, while praying the entire trip that the recruit doesn't notice the first marginally decent restaurant is at least 17 miles from campus.

EverettGriz said:
Serious question: Where do the coaches take kids for dinner on recruiting visits? They must drive all the way into Spokane, talking wildly about how good the food is at Zips Drive in, and how they could have gone there instead but couldn't get a reservation this weekend, while praying the entire trip that the recruit doesn't notice the first marginally decent restaurant is at least 17 miles from campus.

Whoa, WHOA! EG, a quick google search tells me you’re forgetting about the Panda Express behind the Purolator Dormitories with some of the best authentic Chinese cuisine in the area the locals have dubbed “Little Tokyo”.

Back