• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

1982 UPS @ Montana Football

ordigger

DONOR
For those that have not seen the Griz of old .....almost 39 years ago. Complete game.

Pudget Sound is now Div III

[media]https://youtu.be/Jzlnp7I4vuw[/media]

This was back in the old Dornblaiser stadium. We ended up as conference co-champions this year. Heady finish for us in that era.

MikeyGriz said:
This was back in the old Dornblaiser stadium. We ended up as conference co-champions this year. Heady finish for us in that era.
Wrong. "Old Dornblaser" was where the University Center now sits, just east of Main Hall. That they transferred the name to that mess to the south was a travesty. It illustrated that in the late 60's; there was no priority for space on campus for football. The program was handicapped until it returned to campus in '86.

kemajic said:
MikeyGriz said:
Wrong. "Old Dornblaser" was where the University Center now sits, just east of Main Hall. That they transferred the name to that mess to the south was a travesty. It illustrated that in the late 60's; there was no priority for space on campus for football. The program was handicapped until it returned to campus in '86.

You are right. I should have just said Dornblaser!

Is that “Grizzly Bill” (Bill Schwanke) on the air? Sounds like it. Back in the 70’s we used to buzz that south avenue location in our hang gliders. Crazy days, those 70’s!

For UM, the OL blocking was good, the backs ran hard, and the defense looked sound, for the most part.

On the other hand, the UM QBs (on both teams really, and especially on Puget Sound--Puget Sound's QB threw more passes that looked like punts than Puget Sound actually made punts, and that's going some with the number of times they had to punt) looked mediocre to bad (especially for a semi-legend like Mornhingweg), and the overall athleticism was at least an order of magnitude lower for UM than what UM enjoys now.

And I know it's just a sign of the times (I was at grad school at UM then), but were the players in control of their bodies, or were those shoulder pads? ;)

CrunchGriz said:
For UM, the OL blocking was good, the backs ran hard, and the defense looked sound, for the most part.

On the other hand, the UM QBs (on both teams really, and especially on Puget Sound--Puget Sound's QB threw more passes that looked like punts than Puget Sound actually made punts, and that's going some with the number of times they had to punt) looked mediocre to bad (especially for a semi-legend like Mornhingweg), and the overall athleticism was at least an order of magnitude lower for UM than what UM enjoys now.

And I know it's just a sign of the times (I was at grad school at UM then), but were the players in control of their bodies, or were those shoulder pads? ;)
And the year out of high school at the Y you figured you could "school" all those starters? Easy big fella.

SaskGriz said:
CrunchGriz said:

And the year out of high school at the Y you figured you could "school" all those starters? Easy big fella.

I never said I was better than anybody in that game, or that I played QB...just that UM has much better talent now. And the QBs didn't look good, sorry, especially compared to what we've come to expect from Griz QBs. Doesn't take a QB to see that, especially on the Puget Sound side.

Not sure what 'the year out of high school at the Y' is supposed to mean, but okay. I freely admit that I didn't play college football, and played only a little in high school. I don't think that disqualifies any observations I might make--if so, about half or more of the membership of this board is also DQd with me.

CrunchGriz said:
SaskGriz said:

I never said I was better than anybody in that game, or that I played QB...just that UM has much better talent now. And the QBs didn't look good, sorry, especially compared to what we've come to expect from Griz QBs. Doesn't take a QB to see that, especially on the Puget Sound side.

Not sure what 'the year out of high school at the Y' is supposed to mean, but okay. I freely admit that I didn't play college football, and played only a little in high school. I don't think that disqualifies any observations I might make--if so, about half or more of the membership of this board is also DQd with me.

Sask has been feeling his oats lately.

The UM QB might be Kelly Richardson. Greg Iseman had a good year. and of-course RIP Dean Rominger.

CrunchGriz said:

Proud Griz Man said:
The UM QB might be Kelly Richardson. Greg Iseman had a good year. and of-course RIP Dean Rominger.

CrunchGriz said:

Game started with Richardson at QB. Morningwhig was in later in the game.

The white hat (official) was Floyd Dawson from Belt. He officiated many years in the BSC. He passed away a short time ago.

Back