• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JMU Softball / Exposure

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Was wondering if any of you have heard or seen or followed the JMU softball team make a run at the women’s College World Series finals. It’s been absolutely amazing what they have accomplished as a mid major. They have gained so much positive momentum and exposure from this week of free advertising.

They were completely unseeded, yet found a way to win their regional. Then they knocked off number one Oklahoma, then took out number five Oklahoma State, and then unfortunately ended up losing back to back to Oklahoma to bow out in the semi finals. But social media is going bonkers over JMU softball right now. I bet it will help that school with their applications and their enrollment as we have seen happen many times.

I truly feel that UM football needs a run like this or a title match up, and I bet we would see some amazing positives in terms of enrollment from it.

HookedonGriz said:
I truly feel that UM football needs a run like this or a title match up, and I bet we would see some amazing positives in terms of enrollment from it.

It'd be nice to get press for something positive for a change. Although I wouldn't expect positive press from the local media...ever. :roll: :roll:

I've been saying it all along. UM's enrollment was it's highest when we were making runs at the title. It changes the perspective of in-state kids so much. Not to mention this $100 million worth of new building projects on campus will really help as well. A deep run in the fall could finally start swinging things back in UM's direction.

Agree with the sentiment that the Griz need a title run. Would also love to see the Griz softball team get more support. Never have been interested in baseball at all but I watched a lot of the softball world series this year. Love the energy.

griznative24 said:
Agree with the sentiment that the Griz need a title run. Would also love to see the Griz softball team get more support. Never have been interested in baseball at all but I watched a lot of the softball world series this year. Love the energy.

I looove baseball, but there is something way more exciting about watching high level softball. The game is faster, the speed, the strategy, all of it. Seems more electric!

HookedonGriz said:
... I looove baseball, but there is something way more exciting about watching high level softball. The game is faster, the speed, the strategy, all of it. Seems more electric!
Even long ago (over a half-century, roughly) when I played softball, the fast pace was scary. (We'd never heard of "slow-pitch" softball, BTW.) To this day, I recall facing a tall, lanky girl -- our league of tiny mountain schools was fully co-ed -- who had a rocket arm. First pitch I saw was not much more than a blur and scared the crap out of me. I did a reset and got some hits off her, but we won our two games against them only because their defense sucked.

What I remember most, however, was how we went through bats. This was well before aluminum bats, and a mis-hit was likely to cost you a bat. How many out there remember playing with a cracked bat held together with friction tape?

IdaGriz01 said:
Even long ago (over a half-century, roughly) when I played software, the fast pace was scary.
Over a half-century ago, the pace of software was indeed scary.

kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Even long ago (over a half-century, roughly) when I played software, the fast pace was scary.

Apparently in most places in Montana it still is according to you because they don’t have fast enough internet tubes to stream stuff. Still on dial up or playing sun dial with a gigantic metal dish I spose. :thumb: :mrgreen:

Debated with myself about fixing the typo right away. :oops:

But then I left it for a while since it seemed to breed a bit of humor. Fixed now.

HookedonGriz said:
Was wondering if any of you have heard or seen or followed the JMU softball...

Why start a post about women's softball and compare it with men's football needing to do the same type of run? Why not stick to the subject matter and say Montana's softball program could use a similar run? That's the first thought that came to my mind when finding out about James Madison. Sure, all sports programs could benefit from a run at a national championship. Who wouldn't?

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
kemajic said:

Apparently in most places in Montana it still is according to you because they don’t have fast enough internet tubes to stream stuff. Still on dial up or playing sun dial with a gigantic metal dish I spose. :thumb: :mrgreen:
Mariner fans are of course justified in being grouchy, but not condescending. It is a challenge to realize that not every Montanan nor Griz fan lives in its cities where fiber is available.

WyomingGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
Was wondering if any of you have heard or seen or followed the JMU softball...

Why start a post about women's softball and compare it with men's football needing to do the same type of run? Why not stick to the subject matter and say Montana's softball program could use a similar run? That's the first thought that came to my mind when finding out about James Madison. Sure, all sports programs could benefit from a run at a national championship. Who wouldn't?

Well mainly because I posted it in the football forum as no one would see it on the non-existent softball forum. I’d be thrilled to see Griz softball make a run like that. The odds of that happening, in my opinion, are 1,000,000 to 1 (especially with their coach who refuses to play small ball which is what every other good program does) where as the odds of our football team making that run are more like say 20-1.

kemajic said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Mariner fans are of course justified in being grouchy, but not condescending. It is a challenge to realize that not every Montanan nor Griz fan lives in its cities where fiber is available.
Apologies, I can see how that came across as condescending, though it certainly was not my intention. If we were in a bar, the next round would be on me (though it may not come until I’m back awake from being punched 😎).

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
kemajic said:
Apologies, I can see how that came across as condescending, though it certainly was not my intention. If we were in a bar, the next round would be on me (though it may not come until I’m back awake from being punched 😎).

Come as a Griz fan and not a Mariners fan and you'll be safe! :lol:

MikeyGriz said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

If folks are getting free drinks, it shouldn’t matter what team I’m a fan of! :lol:

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
MikeyGriz said:

If folks are getting free drinks, it shouldn’t matter what team I’m a fan of! :lol:

After the past 25 years, Mariner fan deserve a 2-1 free drinks ratio.

Ursa Major said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

They were pretty good in 2001, just not NYY good.

kemajic said:
Ursa Major said:

Good catch, Kem. I conflated ‘95, the first year they made the playoffs with 2001, the last time they made the playoffs. It sure feels like 25 years.

Ursa Major said:
kemajic said:

Good catch, Kem. I conflated ‘95, the first year they made the playoffs with 2001, the last time they made the playoffs. It sure feels like 25 years.

Still waiting for you to provide your name to the board. You know, there are pills you can take to boost your testosterone, but none to boost your bravado.

Back