• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

ESPN for Football

PlayerRep

Montana’s Big Sky contests move to ESPN

Griz fans around the nation will now have a new and convenient way to watch Montana's Big Sky Conference football, men's and women's basketball games and more starting in 2021.

ESPN, the "worldwide leader in sports," and the Big Sky announced a new multi-year, multi-platform media rights agreement Wednesday that will bring UM's conference events to the industry-leading ESPN+ streaming service and the ESPN family of networks.

The new agreement replaces the league's previous deal with PlutoTV and moves Big Sky contests to ESPN+, which currently boasts more than 13.8 million subscribers. The deal also expands the conference's exposure on ESPNU and other ESPN linear networks.

Under the new agreement, more than 600 Big Sky events in both men's and women's sports will stream on ESPN+ and the ESPN App, which is available on nearly all streaming devices and platforms.

ESPNU will televise two football games each year, in addition to one regular-season men's basketball game. The championship games for the Big Sky men's and women's basketball tournaments will also be shown on ESPN networks, marking the first time the Big Sky women's basketball championship game will be broadcast on ESPN linear TV.

"This landmark agreement for the Big Sky and our membership rightfully aligns the nation's preeminent FCS conference with the strongest media brand in sports," Big Sky Commissioner Tom Wistrcill said in a release. "We are absolutely thrilled to join the ESPN family and deliver an elevated viewing experience with hundreds of Big Sky contests on ESPN+ each year. In addition, the numerous linear opportunities on ESPN networks now available to us is unprecedented among our peers, and yet another way that we will enhance the brand of the Big Sky."

Big Sky media rights partner ROOT Sports will also continue to broadcast conference football games, putting the league's contests inside millions of homes nationwide.

The first Big Sky event on ESPN networks as part of the new deal is the conference's annual Football Kickoff, which will stream live on ESPN+ on Monday, July 26.

Specific UM football and basketball start times and broadcast details will be announced in the near future.

About ESPN+

ESPN+ is the industry-leading sports streaming service that offers fans in the U.S. thousands of live sports events, original programming not available on ESPN's linear TV or digital networks and exclusive editorial content from dozens of ESPN writers and reporters. Launched in April 2018, ESPN+ has grown to more than 13.8 million subscribers.

Fans sign up to ESPN+ for just $5.99 a month (or $59.99 per year) at ESPN.com, ESPNplus.com or on the ESPN App (mobile and connected devices). It is also available as part of The Disney Bundle that gives subscribers access to Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu for $13.99/month (Hulu w/ads) or $19.99/month (Hulu w/o ads).

Definition of preeminent
: having paramount rank, dignity, or importance : LOL.

On a side note what’s the money going to be…

I can't remember, but if a game is on ROOT, was it available on GOGRIZ also?

reinell30 said:
Does this agreement take away Griz away games from ABC/Fox or SWX?

Good question, please keep them coming.

I fear the move to ESPN will end a long eGriz tradition of frantic gameday posters asking the board which channel they can tune their television or toaster to so they can watch the game.

Be careful what you wish for.

reinell30 said:
No it shouldn't. As I mentioned in the other thread, ESPN usually doesn't produce any of the games streamed on ESPN+, they usually pick up the streams of the local channels. The only exception to this would be the 2 games chosen to be on ESPNU. SWX will still be able to televise whatever games Root and ESPNU do not pickup and they will still take the vast majority of Griz basketball games.

Ursa Major said:
reinell30 said:

I fear the move to ESPN will end a long eGriz tradition of frantic gameday posters asking the board which channel they can tune their television or toaster to so they can watch the game.

:lol:

Ursa Major said:
reinell30 said:

Never fear. There will be plenty who will complain about paying $6/mo. ($0.20/day) to watch something that was "free for 30 got-damned years."
Or, we'll get stuff like:
"I don't have a TV and the internet is a hoax. How am I supposed to watch the game in my living room? This is bullshit."

EverettGriz said:
kemajic said:
Pretty much a big wup for MT folks not blessed with streaming-capable ISP.

Call your Senator and ask them to support the infrastructure bill.

Nope. Only part of bill that actually covers infrastructure. Not child care and green new deal part.

Also, MT and Gianforte have already allocated a huge amount of Covid relief money to expanded broadband in MT. Maybe a few 100 million.

GrizLA said:
kemajic said:
Pretty much a big wup for MT folks not blessed with streaming-capable ISP.

Biden is trying to fix that. He is being opposed by your own senator.

Not true. Daines supports the broadband portion of infrastructure. Just not things like child care and green new deal, which are not infrastructure.

PlayerRep said:
GrizLA said:
Biden is trying to fix that. He is being opposed by your own senator.

Not true. Daines supports the broadband portion of infrastructure. Just not things like child care and green new deal, which are not infrastructure.
If this is what this thread is going to turn into, let's have it moved to the political forum. I think we've discussed politics enough on this board and now that were inside 100 days until football, let's discuss that.

Griz til I die said:
PlayerRep said:
If this is what this thread is going to turn into, let's have it moved to the political forum. I think we've discussed politics enough on this board and now that were inside 100 days until football, let's discuss that.

You required to have 10,000 posts before making suggestions like that.

PlayerRep said:
Griz til I die said:

You required to have 10,000 posts before making suggestions like that.
Yes my bad! Can somebody with 10,000 posts please step in in my place? :lol:

Back