• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

ROOT Sports Pursuing Streaming Options

get'em_griz

DONOR
With the ESPN+ agreement just announced by the Big Sky Conference, ROOT Sports is also looking to get into the streaming era as well.

ROOT Sports is looking to get deals with Hulu, Fubo TV, and YouTube TV. The goal is to potentially have this ready by the start of the 2021-2022 NBA season (October 16).

If this happens, this will be huge for cord cutters. Hope it pans out and we'll all be able to watch the Griz when ROOT Sports broadcasts the games.

https://theathletic.com/news/root-sports-pursuing-streaming-service-deals-as-alternatives-to-cable-satellite/DevJqKwI20m5

get'em_griz said:
With the ESPN+ agreement just announced by the Big Sky Conference, ROOT Sports is also looking to get into the streaming era as well.

ROOT Sports is looking to get deals with Hulu, Fubo TV, and YouTube TV. The goal is to potentially have this ready by the start of the 2021-2022 NBA season (October 16).

If this happens, this will be huge for cord cutters. Hope it pans out and we'll all be able to watch the Griz when ROOT Sports broadcasts the games.

https://theathletic.com/news/root-sports-pursuing-streaming-service-deals-as-alternatives-to-cable-satellite/DevJqKwI20m5
While NBA viewership continues its deserved decline.

kemajic said:
get'em_griz said:

That's the truth. The NBA is a horrible product (I am a child of the 80's and 90s, so I witnessed the greatest age of the game, so I am spoiled), but the politicization of the sport has ruined it.

kemajic said:
get'em_griz said:

The Northwest is pretty loyal when it comes to viewership. The Blazers are the team of the Northwest right now, so it makes sense... They are banking on 2 things happening

1) That Seattle will get an NBA team
2) That Lillard will stay with the Blazers

They also can stream the new Hockey team in Seattle. Other than NFL games, Root is the go to for all Northwest Sports, including PAC 12.

3-7-77 said:
What is this 'NBA' ?

It is a professional Basketball league here in the US. Most of the top College players, and top foreign basketball players really, play in it...

BigSkyBears said:
kemajic said:

That's the truth. The NBA is a horrible product (I am a child of the 80's and 90s, so I witnessed the greatest age of the game, so I am spoiled), but the politicization of the sport has ruined it.

But I'm sure you'd argue that NASCAR and the PGA have never been politicized. :roll:

Pssh, this is dumb because 26 people in Montana have shitty internet service and I will find any reason to hate everything anybody else may like because I think it makes me look smarter.

I hope they look into Sling. That’s what I have and they have everything except Root. If they get Root I will officially drop cable.

And I agree the NBA is awful. The players are all drama queens, they don’t play defense, they let you take like 12 steps, and more and more it’s turning into a glorified half court shooting contest. The whole game plan now for teams is cross half court, pull up and shoot. It’s terrible.

I emailed Kent about ROOT streaming on ESPN+ and this is his response:

"This upcoming season those games will not be streamed. ROOT Sports has one more football season on their contract with the Big Sky Conference. After 2021 it will depend on what the conference is able to negotiate. I’m assuming ROOT Sports will want to continue broadcasting conference games, but what streaming will look like I do not know. "

kemajic said:
get'em_griz said:

:thumb:

ROOT really needs to get their act together on streaming, they are just leaving money on the table right now. I ain't buying a cable package just to watch ROOT, but I definitely would pay a few bucks a month to watch it - even better if it is on an existing streaming platform. And I am sure there are more of me then there are people paying for cable just for ROOT.

EverettGriz said:
BigSkyBears said:

But I'm sure you'd argue that NASCAR and the PGA have never been politicized. :roll:
There are no LaBrons in NASCAR or the PGA.

zootownrox said:
ROOT really needs to get their act together on streaming, they are just leaving money on the table right now. I ain't buying a cable package just to watch ROOT, but I definitely would pay a few bucks a month to watch it - even better if it is on an existing streaming platform. And I am sure there are more of me then there are people paying for cable just for ROOT.
Oddly enough, we went back to cable not too long ago. Not for TV, however. We wanted faster Internet speed, and the local fiber option(s) kept making promises that somehow fell through. Then I noticed that the cable company -- in survival mode, I presume -- had started to emphasize their Internet Service over cable TV. They've even changed their name (from "Cable One" to "Sparklight").

Since the cable hardware was still in place, I bought a cable modem and TA-DA! ... high speed Internet. My wife and I don't actually do a lot of streaming, but we both do lots of Internet research. So the extra cost of the cable approach is well worth it in terms of productivity, since we now have 40-50 times better speed. (We don't even know what the "cable" company offers in the way of TV programming, and don't care.)

kemajic said:
EverettGriz said:
There are no LaBrons in NASCAR or the PGA.
I, for one, am shocked! Shocked, I say, that a bunch of "good ole boys" and "country club members" are not leading the fight for racial and social equality. :lol:

zootownrox said:

For Root, it's never been about getting a few dollars here and there from streamed content. It's ALWAYS been about ensuring that small cable companies in Idaho, MT and AK carry their station. That way they can sell far more "eyes" to advertisers on Mariner and Sounder games. I just can't see them offering a streaming package for people without a cable subscription. It defeats the entire purpose of broadcasting bsc football.

EverettGriz said:
zootownrox said:

For Root, it's never been about getting a few dollars here and there from streamed content. It's ALWAYS been about ensuring that small cable companies in Idaho, MT and AK carry their station. That way they can sell far more "eyes" to advertisers on Mariner and Sounder games. I just can't see them offering a streaming package for people without a cable subscription. It defeats the entire purpose of broadcasting bsc football.

Yep

EverettGriz said:
zootownrox said:

I get that that is the thinking - but do they not know that you can sell advertisements on streaming? Do they think people who stream don't have eyes?

Back