• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU Football: BoT Votes To Keep Football D1 And In BSC

They have made a believer out of me. Not too many years ago, I was of the opinion that they should be Division2. If they can cut the mustard from a financial point of view, Eastern Washington should be Division1.

Simply a battle of self-entitled faculty vs. common sense. Not so common anymore, but occasionally common sense still wins out.

kemajic said:
Simply a battle of self-entitled faculty vs. common sense. Not so common anymore, but occasionally common sense still wins out.

College faculties have never understood the relationship of having strong athletic teams to the overall health of the university. Just like most of them live in an alternative universe of ideology, rather than the universe of reality.

I know the faculty at any college really doesn’t want to believe or think that an athletic program is the face of the university. But the better the athletic programs perform, football, men’s Bball and Women’s Bball, the better the university does. One might exclude some of the Ivy League from this.
Is it right, maybe not, but it’s reality! People can except it or try and keep the blinders on.

If their financial position doesn't improve, to whatever level expected, the BOT next decision will be already determined.

OrgonGriz said:
I know the faculty at any college really doesn’t want to believe or think that an athletic program is the face of the university. But the better the athletic programs perform, football, men’s Bball and Women’s Bball, the better the university does. One might exclude some of the Ivy League from this.
Is it right, maybe not, but it’s reality! People can except it or try and keep the blinders on.

Wait…so you are saying the junior faculty in the Gender Studies department is NOT the face of the university???

I don't think there was any serious threat of the board voting to cut football, drop down, etc. More than anything, this was just a bunch of noise that unfortunately did have impacts to morale, etc. I get the feeling the professor who crusaded this effort is looking for a new job and wouldn't be missed.

That said, even if this was squashed before March madness, I doubt things would have played out any differently with the men's bb exodus or some transfers from the football program.

People here joke about EWU's football attendance, but the reality is over the last decade they've been selling out pretty much every game. Even ho-hum games against NAU, ISU, etc. draw similar crowds as UM and MSU.

The problem is that EWU is terrible at turning fans into donors.

footballdood said:
I don't think there was any serious threat of the board voting to cut football, drop down, etc. More than anything, this was just a bunch of noise that unfortunately did have impacts to morale, etc. I get the feeling the professor who crusaded this effort is looking for a new job and wouldn't be missed.

That said, even if this was squashed before March madness, I doubt things would have played out any differently with the men's bb exodus or some transfers from the football program.

People here joke about EWU's football attendance, but the reality is over the last decade they've been selling out pretty much every game. Even ho-hum games against NAU, ISU, etc. draw similar crowds as UM and MSU.

And a sellout is but about 8500.

Friday's Spokesman Review had an article about the EWU decision. Donors gave $300,000 last year, "a drop in the bucket compared to what we need," according to one Trustee. Another said donors need to give more, and those who haven't donated 'need to step up.' Another 'pollster' said the school has two basic camps, the cut athletics camp and the 'I won't attend EWU if athletics is cut' camp.
Sounds like a solid foundation. :roll: I'll just watch this EWU season as if it were their last year, as that may be the case.

3-7-77 said:
Friday's Spokesman Review had an article about the EWU decision. Donors gave $300,000 last year, "a drop in the bucket compared to what we need," according to one Trustee. Another said donors need to give more, and those who haven't donated 'need to step up.' Another 'pollster' said the school has two basic camps, the cut athletics camp and the 'I won't attend EWU if athletics is cut' camp.
Sounds like a solid foundation. :roll: I'll just watch this EWU season as if it were their last year, as that may be the case.

$300,000 total??

Kodiak said:
3-7-77 said:

$300,000 total??

Eastern has raised $5.5 million since September 2019 for their new stadium...

Here's the link:

www.spokesman.com/search/?q=EWU&l

'Eastern Washington University
Will Keep Football Team, Remain Big Sky and NCAA Division I'

3-7-77 said:
Here's the link:

Ya...one professor caused a massive PR nightmare. EWU did a terrible job of minimizing this where most universities never would have let it get to this level.

His $300k donor comment fails to look at the funds raised for the new stadium...

marceagfan5 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Is that one the Gateway Project?

Unfortunately...

Marc,

As a fan, what are your views on a stadium location? I can understand the impulse to want a stadium on campus but having one in Spokane would likely increase attendance, your fan base and potential financial support.

kemajic said:
footballdood said:

And a sellout is but about 8500.

Which, sadly, about 10 out of the 13 teams in the league would KILL for.

marceagfan5 said:
3-7-77 said:
Here's the link:

Ya...one professor caused a massive PR nightmare. EWU did a terrible job of minimizing this where most universities never would have let it get to this level.

His $300k donor comment fails to look at the funds raised for the new stadium...

Raised, or committed? A MASSIVE difference in the world of fund-raising. Commitments to a capital campaign are often dependent upon major hurdles being crossed first (e.g. a major donor steps up with a $15,000,000 gift, or 50% of the total funds required are raised during the quiet -- non public-- phase of the campaign as examples).

That's vastly different than cash in hand.

Back