• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cal Poly regular season predictions

Griz til I die

DONOR
Was out camping this weekend and didn't have service, so I'll post it now. There seems to be some mixed feelings on here about how good Cal Poly will be this fall under Beau Baldwin. I would say if the Spring is any indication of how the fall will go, they are in for a long season.

September 4 @ San Diego-L. I'm not kidding. I don't have very high hopes that they will win this game, and shame on them for going to a Pioneer League school. That should never happen. San Diego did nearly knock off UC Davis in 2019 and this Cal Poly team will be nowhere near as good. Toreros take it.

September 11 @ Fresno State-L. Fresno State has never really had that great of teams, but historically the Big Sky has really struggled against them, even in years where they should be able to beat them. Poly will drop this game.

September 18 vs. South Dakota-W. I'm being a little generous with this one. Both teams will be trash this year, but I'll give Poly the win at home.

September 25 @ Montana-L. Three out of four on the road to start the season with all three road games being losses. Beau Baldwin makes his triumphant return to Wa-Griz on homecoming. They are in for a rude awakening on this road trip.

October 2 vs. Weber State-L. Boy I would give anything to watch Poly win this game. Not happening though.

October 9 @ Montana State-L. Talk about a brutal three games to open the conference slate with. The Big Sky schedule makers did not do Poly any favors this year. That's about as brutal of a first three games as you will ever see.

October 16 BYE- They're gonna need it badly after how the start of the season will go for them.

October 23 vs. UC Davis-L. Rivalry week after a bye week. I think Davis will be average this year but I still don't like Cal Poly's chances in this one.

October 30 @ Portland State-L. Close game that could go either way, but I think Davis Alexander does enough to will the viks to victory.

November 6 @ Sacramento State-L. No faith for them in this one either.

November 13 vs. Idaho State-W. I'll give them the win at home. This will be another tough game though.

November 20 vs. Northern Arizona-L. NAU I believe has the potential to sneak into the playoffs this year, but they won't get in if they drop this game. I expect the Jacks to be locked in.

So I have them going 2-9. I think the ceiling is 3-8 if they can pull out the PSU game, and the floor will be the big old goose egg at 0-11 which I hate to say it (because I like Poly), but could very well happen to them. Baldwin's in for a big rebuild in San Luis Obispo.

I have a hard time voting against a Beau Baldwin coached team…..I’m guessing they outperform your prediction. Let’s just hope they haven’t found their stride by 9/25.

AZGrizFan said:
I have a hard time voting against a Beau Baldwin coached team…..I’m guessing they outperform your prediction. Let’s just hope they haven’t found their stride by 9/25.
I won't lie, he's a hell of a coach but Jesus they were horrible this spring. They lost to Eastern by 52 points and to UC Davis by 49 points. They'll be improved this fall but still won't be good.

That's a brutal early Big Sky schedule. I totally agree with your San Diego pick, I didn't say this in the Bobcat thread but I think San Diego might sneak one out of Bozeman as well, they are always solid to good and I do not have any faith in the new coach at MSU. That said I think if Beau hasn't completely lost the locker room by the bye week Cal Poly has a chance to start getting better after that. It's only a matter of time before Beau turns that program around, so I am glad the Griz get them early.

zootownrox said:
That's a brutal early Big Sky schedule. I totally agree with your San Diego pick, I didn't say this in the Bobcat thread but I think San Diego might sneak one out of Bozeman as well, they are always solid to good and I do not have any faith in the new coach at MSU. That said I think if Beau hasn't completely lost the locker room by the bye week Cal Poly has a chance to start getting better after that. It's only a matter of time before Beau turns that program around, so I am glad the Griz get them early.
Baldwin will indeed eventually work miracles at CPSLO, although the distance from the previous offense to his is immense. I am surprised, however, that EWU hardly missed a beat after he left.

kemajic said:
zootownrox said:
Baldwin will indeed eventually work miracles at CPSLO, although the distance from the previous offense to his is immense. I am surprised, however, that EWU hardly missed a beat after he left.
Because they have Eric Barriere who Baldwin recruited to Eastern. Eastern would be a train wreck without him. Best is not that good of a coach.

Back