• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Northern Arizona regular season predictions

Griz til I die

DONOR
There seem to be plenty of mixed feelings about how good NAU will be this year. I tend to think they'll be much improved from past seasons, but we'll see. The Jacks were 3-2 this spring and were an unsportsmanlike penalty away from being 4-1. They got a difficult non-conference schedule but avoid Weber, Eastern and the cats in conference play, so that will bode well for them. What will make or break their season is non-conference. They cannot go 0-3 in non-conference if they want to sneak into the playoffs. Let's dive in!

September 2 vs. Sam Houston - L. Tough way to open the season by hosting the defending champs. SHSU returns nearly everyone from their title team. This will be a good measuring stick game for the Jacks at home. If they keep it competitive, I'll be a believer.

September 11 @ South Dakota- W. Can't drop this game if they wanna make a playoff push. This is a must win for the Jacks as South Dakota is not what they once were 3-5 years ago. I'm expecting a tight game as NAU is not a great road team but I think they squeak it out.

September 18- @ Arizona - L. This game is pretty much becoming an annual occurrence for the Jacks in both football and basketball every year. I don't know why they enjoy playing Arizona so much but more power to them. As bad as Arizona has been and should be, I don't see NAU winning this game.

September 25 @ Northern Colorado - W. Three straight road games to close out September, that'll be fun. Jacks win this one no problem.

October 2 vs. Idaho State - W. A trash ISU team that we discussed last week. Should have no problem with them at home.

October 9 BYE- Well positioned bye week. About the best date you can have for a bye week.

October 16 vs. Southern Utah - W. The Grand Canyon game. Coming off a bye week and getting them at home. This typically is always a great game and I like the Jacks at home.

October 23 @ Sacramento State - L. This will be where we find out if NAU is for real or not. This is their toughest conference road game. They win this, and I'm all in on what Chris Ball is building in Flagstaff. That said, I'm expecting a tight game that I think Sac State pulls out at home.

October 30 @ Idaho - W. The Vandy's are tough at home and this really feels like a 50/50 game but I think NAU pulls it out in a great game.

November 6 vs. UC Davis - L. If NAU can stop Ulonzo Gilliam then they will win this game, but as we remember from 2019 the staple of this team was as Brint put it, a garbage defense. They've been very active in the portal and their defense was much improved this Spring but I just have a feeling that UC Davis will find a way.

November 13 vs. Montana - L. Our first trip to the sky dome since 2016. Historically, we have not played very well in the dome and this does feel like a trap game with cat-Griz the following week, but I believe in this team and believe we will win this game and eliminate NAU from playoff contention.

November 20 @ Cal Poly - W. By this time, Beau Baldwin might finally have his team headed in a positive direction, but I still don't think they will be ready to win a game like this. I'll take NAU on the road.

I have NAU going going 6-5. I think the ceiling is 8-3 and the floor is 4-7. NAU just felt different in the spring. They proved they could win close games and compete with Weber on the road. Tough home games but they got to be able to defend their home turf. Ultimately I have NAU just on the outside looking in on the playoffs but watch out for the Jacks in 2022. They are definitely trending in the right direction. Thoughts?

No way NAU wins all three road games of Idaho, S. Dakota and CPSLO. One probably for sure, 2 maybe, 3 I don't think so.

Griz til I die said:
There seem to be plenty of mixed feelings about how good NAU will be this year. I tend to think they'll be much improved from past seasons, but we'll see. The Jacks were 3-2 this spring and were an unsportsmanlike penalty away from being 4-1. They got a difficult non-conference schedule but avoid Weber, Eastern and the cats in conference play, so that will bode well for them. What will make or break their season is non-conference. They cannot go 0-3 in non-conference if they want to sneak into the playoffs. Let's dive in!

September 2 vs. Sam Houston - L. Tough way to open the season by hosting the defending champs. SHSU returns nearly everyone from their title team. This will be a good measuring stick game for the Jacks at home. If they keep it competitive, I'll be a believer.

September 11 @ South Dakota- W. Can't drop this game if they wanna make a playoff push. This is a must win for the Jacks as South Dakota is not what they once were 3-5 years ago. I'm expecting a tight game as NAU is not a great road team but I think they squeak it out.

September 18- @ Arizona - L. This game is pretty much becoming an annual occurrence for the Jacks in both football and basketball every year. I don't know why they enjoy playing Arizona so much but more power to them. As bad as Arizona has been and should be, I don't see NAU winning this game.

September 25 @ Northern Colorado - W. Three straight road games to close out September, that'll be fun. Jacks win this one no problem.

October 2 vs. Idaho State - W. A trash ISU team that we discussed last week. Should have no problem with them at home.

October 9 BYE- Well positioned bye week. About the best date you can have for a bye week.

October 16 vs. Southern Utah - W. The Grand Canyon game. Coming off a bye week and getting them at home. This typically is always a great game and I like the Jacks at home.

October 23 @ Sacramento State - L. This will be where we find out if NAU is for real or not. This is their toughest conference road game. They win this, and I'm all in on what Chris Ball is building in Flagstaff. That said, I'm expecting a tight game that I think Sac State pulls out at home.

October 30 @ Idaho - W. The Vandy's are tough at home and this really feels like a 50/50 game but I think NAU pulls it out in a great game.

November 6 vs. UC Davis - L. If NAU can stop Ulonzo Gilliam then they will win this game, but as we remember from 2019 the staple of this team was as Brint put it, a garbage defense. They've been very active in the portal and their defense was much improved this Spring but I just have a feeling that UC Davis will find a way.

November 13 vs. Montana - L. Our first trip to the sky dome since 2016. Historically, we have not played very well in the dome and this does feel like a trap game with cat-Griz the following week, but I believe in this team and believe we will win this game and eliminate NAU from playoff contention.

November 20 @ Cal Poly - W. By this time, Beau Baldwin might finally have his team headed in a positive direction, but I still don't think they will be ready to win a game like this. I'll take NAU on the road.

I have NAU going going 6-5. I think the ceiling is 8-3 and the floor is 4-7. NAU just felt different in the spring. They proved they could win close games and compete with Weber on the road. Tough home games but they got to be able to defend their home turf. Ultimately I have NAU just on the outside looking in on the playoffs but watch out for the Jacks in 2022. They are definitely trending in the right direction. Thoughts?

NAU does not play well in Greeley, I predict they continue the losing streak. UNC wins on September 25th.

BigSkyBears said:
Griz til I die said:

NAU does not play well in Greeley, I predict they continue the losing streak. UNC wins on September 25th.
Ooh boy aren't you in luck, UNC is next week. With how much you've been hyping them up I'm very much looking forward to next week. :D

BigSkyBears said:
Griz til I die said:

Well UNC doesn't play well in Greeley so I don't know why other teams would be expected to? ;)

ilovethecats said:
BigSkyBears said:
Well UNC doesn't play well in Greeley so I don't know why other teams would be expected to? ;)

:lol:

One would figure the chronic smoke from the tire fire that’s been burning in Greeley since 2003 would give NCU a decisive advantage.

It doesn’t.

Griz til I die said:
BigSkyBears said:
Ooh boy aren't you in luck, UNC is next week. With how much you've been hyping them up I'm very much looking forward to next week. :D

Do you want me to be pessimistic? Every team’s fans should feel good about their schools chances this time of year. Everyone is 0-0.

The Bears have a new coach, tons of new players, including a 4 star QB from Michigan, and new facilities. I like what I see on paper, but we shall see how the season plays out!

BigSkyBears said:
Griz til I die said:

Do you want me to be pessimistic? Every team’s fans should feel good about their schools chances this time of year. Everyone is 0-0.

The Bears have a new coach, tons of new players, including a 4 star QB from Michigan, and new facilities. I like what I see on paper, but we shall see how the season plays out!
And by new facilities you mean the turf field you guys are finally putting in to join the 21st century 20 years too late :lol:. I think you're focusing on that kids star rating a little too much. I wanna know what he did at Michigan which is not much. Maybe UNC will finally improve from a 2-9 team to a 4-7 team lol.

Griz til I die said:
BigSkyBears said:

And by new facilities you mean the turf field you guys are finally putting in to join the 21st century 20 years too late :lol:. I think you're focusing on that kids star rating a little too much. I wanna know what he did at Michigan which is not much. Maybe UNC will finally improve from a 2-9 team to a 4-7 team lol.

Nah, guy (or girl). I mean the new multi-million dollar sports performance center (new weight room, etc). It will be finished by fall semester. I actually wish we kept the natural grass field. The new QB, said to be faster than his older brother (not Max) will be all-conference by the end of the year.

BigSkyBears said:
Griz til I die said:

Nah, guy (or girl). I mean the new multi-million dollar sports performance center (new weight room, etc). It will be finished by fall semester. I actually wish we kept the natural grass field. The new QB, said to be faster than his older brother (not Max) will be all-conference by the end of the year.
Just like Jacob Knipp, and how far did that get you guys? :lol: Honestly though, congrats on the sports performance center. I had no idea that was happening at UNC!

BigSkyBears said:
Griz til I die said:

So just so I'm up to speed.

UNC is going to win 6 or more games. They're going to be top 25 by seasons end. And they'll have an all-conference qb?

You are going to be ecstatic this fall!

Griz til I die said:
BigSkyBears said:
Just like Jacob Knipp, and how far did that get you guys? :lol: Honestly though, congrats on the sports performance center. I had no idea that was happening at UNC!
Knipp was a talented QB; he just had the injury bug, bad offensive lines.

BigSkyBears said:
Griz til I die said:
Oh, of course, and it sure was nice of McCaffrey to bring the Michigan O-Line with him, so you won't have that problem this season. :thumb:

Question, are NCU’s “good seasons” timed to be synchronized with the emergence of cicadas? Or is that just a happy accident?

Ursa Major said:
Question, are NCU’s “good seasons” timed to be synchronized with the emergence of cicadas? Or is that just a happy accident?

Follow up: What is NCU’s record for BSC wins in a season? Is it 2 or 3?

uofmman1122 said:
BigSkyBears said:
Oh, of course, and it sure was nice of McCaffrey to bring the Michigan O-Line with him, so you won't have that problem this season. :thumb:

No offensive linemen, but a running back from the Wolverines.

NAU historically has had good db’s and special teams. Other than that it’s hard to get any takeaways from the spring games. Any major injuries, like what happened to SDSU?

BigSkyBears said:
uofmman1122 said:

NAU historically has had good db’s and special teams. Other than that it’s hard to get any takeaways from the spring games. Any major injuries, like what happened to SDSU?
Oh, so the Wolverine RB is gonna play OL now?

I'm just trying to follow the "our QB struggled because our OL was bad" -> "we got a RB and QB from Michigan" -> "This new QB won't struggle" logic.

Thanks

uofmman1122 said:
BigSkyBears said:

Oh, so the Wolverine RB is gonna play OL now?

I'm just trying to follow the "our QB struggled because our OL was bad" -> "we got a RB and QB from Michigan" -> "This new QB won't struggle" logic.

Thanks

New talent brought in on the line - drop downs, etc., also I think our new line coach will be an upgrade.

Griz til I die said:

Just out of curiosity I did a search for who the Sports Information Director is at UNC. Found nothing, no current Director, nothing in their want ads. Maybe they lump it under some all encompassing title. They have administrators for everything under the sun, but SID, no. Maybe THAT's why the performance center was such a surprise.

BigSkyBears said:
Griz til I die said:

Were the two related?

Back