• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Let the conference realignment begin!

Griz til I die

DONOR
As we all remember from the last decade of conference realignment, it has the potential for a massive trickle down effect. So here we are one decade later. Texas and Oklahoma are planning to leave the Big 12 for the SEC (because who wouldn't wanna be in the SEC when they have more money than God). So where do we go from here? Will the Big 12 dissolve? (unlikely, but I'd be more than happy to see it) Will the Big 12 try to poach teams from the American or the PAC 12? (Houston would be a great fit, Arizona, ASU, Utah?) and if so, then how does every other conference respond to this? By raiding teams from each other of course!

How many FCS teams will be invited to move up to the FBS? Could James Madison finally get the call they have been waiting for from the American? Will NDSU get a call from possibly the Mountain West or maybe even the Big 12? Could the cats and Griz get offers to join the Mountain West? I've been adamant about my stance on a potential Griz move-up. Until the FBS has a major revamp of the postseason where every conference has a fair shot to be included, I have no interest in moving up. And a big step in the right direction is coming with the expansion of the CFP to 12 teams, but that's still not enough to entice me. Playing for a national championship means way more to me than some ridiculously stupid bowl game, and overall I would think we all share those same feelings.

As if NIL and CFP expansion weren't enough, now we get to go through another potentially massive conference realignment. Who's ready?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-and-oklahoma-to-sec-live-news-updates-as-big-12-powers-kick-start-conference-realignment/live/

Dream scenario: Utah and Colorado to the Big 12, UM and MSU to the PAC 12, NDSU fired straight into the sun.

Griz til I die said:
Playing for a national championship means way more to me than some ridiculously stupid bowl game, and overall I would think we all share those same feelings.
Nope. I used to think exactly like you too but then I realized there is more to UM (and the state of MT) than just CFB, and especially chippers; plus, my selfish, CFB-slanted view probably did not necessarily reflect the best interest for the state as a whole. When you walk around the college campuses of real schools, you get it. A rising tide lifts all boats. Sure we might not get the chance to play in Frisco (😂) but what if a move up opened doors to more research facilities/grants, more classes/degrees, hell a med school, or even a better position for other sports.

garizzalies said:
Griz til I die said:
Playing for a national championship means way more to me than some ridiculously stupid bowl game, and overall I would think we all share those same feelings.
Nope. I used to think exactly like you too but then I realized there is more to UM (and the state of MT) than just CFB, and especially chippers; plus, my selfish, CFB-slanted view probably did not necessarily reflect the best interest for the state as a whole. When you walk around the college campuses of real schools, you get it. A rising tide lifts all boats. Sure we might not get the chance to play in Frisco (😂) but what if a move up opened doors to more research facilities/grants, more classes/degrees, hell a med school, or even a better position for other sports.
I hear what you're saying garizzlies, and a move-up might be what's best for the university as a whole as it very well could open up lots of other doors. However, your last sentence of a better position for other sports I disagree with. You tell me what other league men's and women's basketball will earn an auto bid to the tournament. Sure, maybe in the mountain west we could get an at-large, but even that is difficult for Mountain West teams. I don't know about you, but I absolutely hate bowl games. They don't wet my appetite, they're not enjoyable to watch and I really do like the FCS playoffs. I think they're way more exciting, especially when you know you have a chance to win it all. I like seeing us win, and at this particular moment, I couldn't see us doing that in FBS. Maybe if Bobby continues to keep this thing rolling, ad a revamped playoff system in FBS, then absolutely let's do it. But I don't think right now is the time.

Griz til I die said:
garizzalies said:
I hear what you're saying garizzlies, and a move-up might be what's best for the university as a whole as it very well could open up lots of other doors. However, your last sentence of a better position for other sports I disagree with. You tell me what other league men's and women's basketball will earn an auto bid to the tournament. Sure, maybe in the mountain west we could get an at-large, but even that is difficult for Mountain West teams. I don't know about you, but I absolutely hate bowl games. They don't wet my appetite, they're not enjoyable to watch and I really do like the FCS playoffs. I think they're way more exciting, especially when you know you have a chance to win it all. I like seeing us win, and at this particular moment, I couldn't see us doing that in FBS. Maybe if Bobby continues to keep this thing rolling, ad a revamped playoff system in FBS, then absolutely let's do it. But I don't think right now is the time.

I'm not saying you're wrong at all, because I don't think you are. I'm just pointing out that we are celebrating the 20th anniversary of this statement.

Research, facilities, grants, more classes/degrees, med school. Go ahead and start the discussion with just the topic, here on the football forum. IMHO, the topic wouldn't last one page, let alone the vaunted 17 page threshold.

Have to admit, it wouldn't be a good day to be a Big 12 AD at one of the other Big 12 schools. UT and OU wanting to leave is like if UM and MSU said they're leaving the BSC. "Don't go you guys! Please!"

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz til I die said:

I'm not saying you're wrong at all, because I don't think you are. I'm just pointing out that we are celebrating the 20th anniversary of this statement.

And during these 20 some odd years, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Troy, College of Charleston, South Florida, etc. Some of those schools are like what Kennesaw State's football program was ten years ago. Best to just wait and see what everybody else does. Don't make any rash, hasty moves. Send it to committee and then that concentration of academic excellence, the Bored Regents with nothing better to do...

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz til I die said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

Griz til I die said:
As we all remember from the last decade of conference realignment, it has the potential for a massive trickle down effect. So here we are one decade later. Texas and Oklahoma are planning to leave the Big 12 for the SEC (because who wouldn't wanna be in the SEC when they have more money than God). So where do we go from here? Will the Big 12 dissolve? (unlikely, but I'd be more than happy to see it) Will the Big 12 try to poach teams from the American or the PAC 12? (Houston would be a great fit, Arizona, ASU, Utah?) and if so, then how does every other conference respond to this? By raiding teams from each other of course!

why the hate for the B12? Your current NCAA Basketball champion is from the B12. What's wrong with the B12 that isn't wrong with the SEC or other P5 conferences?

More on the Texas/Oklahoma story from another source:
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...sooners-texas-longhorns-verge-making-sec-move

If this happens (and some reporters act like it's a done deal), a whole bunch of crazy dominoes will fall, starting with three big ones.

First, it would give the SEC 16 teams in two divisions. How many games will those teams schedule out of conference in that case? Assume each plays the other seven members of its division. Surely they would then have at least two or three cross-divisional games. Not much room to play any strong OOC opponents. That matters, because it makes it even less likely that any will continue to play money games with FCS opponents.

Second, what's left of the Big-12 is most likely toast, with teams scrambling to find homes. Still, they would still have eight, which means they don't have to add new teams. Either way, however, the notion that they are a "Power" conference takes a major hit.

Given those two points, the big boys will have to completely rethink how they might expand their playoffs. A relatively neat selection of conference champions plus a few at-large qualifiers is no longer going to work.

Of course, this would also be another step along the path to a so-called "superconference." And that matters because it would likely have a major negative impact on FCS football. Current FBS teams that get left out of the super-C would suddenly become second-tier players. Yes, most already are, but this would make it "official." That would push the status of FCS down even further than it already is. That, in turn, would make it even harder to get TV deals.

And here's a thought: Suppose the second-tier FBS guys decide they should have a playoff of their own? Seems unlikely, but who knows what might happen down the road?

Last but not least: Where will basketball fit in? A football superconference would not be super in basketball.

IdaGriz01 said:
More on the Texas/Oklahoma story from another source:
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...sooners-texas-longhorns-verge-making-sec-move

If this happens (and some reporters act like it's a done deal), a whole bunch of crazy dominoes will fall, starting with three big ones.

First, it would give the SEC 16 teams in two divisions. How many games will those teams schedule out of conference in that case? Assume each plays the other seven members of its division. Surely they would then have at least two or three cross-divisional games. Not much room to play any strong OOC opponents. That matters, because it makes it even less likely that any will continue to play money games with FCS opponents.

Second, what's left of the Big-12 is most likely toast, with teams scrambling to find homes. Still, they would still have eight, which means they don't have to add new teams. Either way, however, the notion that they are a "Power" conference takes a major hit.

Given those two points, the big boys will have to completely rethink how they might expand their playoffs. A relatively neat selection of conference champions plus a few at-large qualifiers is no longer going to work.

Of course, this would also be another step along the path to a so-called "superconference." And that matters because it would likely have a major negative impact on FCS football. Current FBS teams that get left out of the super-C would suddenly become second-tier players. Yes, most already are, but this would make it "official." That would push the status of FCS down even further than it already is. That, in turn, would make it even harder to get TV deals.

And here's a thought: Suppose the second-tier FBS guys decide they should have a playoff of their own? Seems unlikely, but who knows what might happen down the road?

Last but not least: Where will basketball fit in? A football superconference would not be super in basketball.

I think that's inevitable. It would literally be the ONLY level of CFB that did NOT have a playoff...

AZGrizFan said:
Griz til I die said:

why the hate for the B12? Your current NCAA Basketball champion is from the B12. What's wrong with the B12 that isn't wrong with the SEC or other P5 conferences?
I'm just not a big fan of the schools in the Big 12. Plus, no disrespect to any of those schools, but they all seem to be the rejects that wouldn't get picked up by any of the other power conferences.

AZGrizFan said:
Griz til I die said:

My vast experiences elsewhere says OK and Texass go to the SEC. The Big 10's 12 schools do not sit and do nothing. They grab the two Kansas schools, Oklahoma State and an Iowa school. It's just conjecture from there as to what happens to the pac 10. Somebody grabs Wyoming and Colorado State. Still can't understand what colorado and utah are doing in the pac 10 other than pseudoacademics, and it's always amusing to watch the academicians enter into the discussion relative conference reconfiguration. Boise State just pissed away a boat load of money looking at the impending conference moves. Same arrogant bastards still run that shithole town and school.

Nice to know we're not doing a damn thing out here besides bitching about everybody who does...like all the transplants escaping where they're from moving to Bozeangeles, Sanfranzoola or Calgaryspell driving up the price of buildings...

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz til I die said:

:lol: :clap:

CDAGRIZ said:
Have to admit, it wouldn't be a good day to be a Big 12 AD at one of the other Big 12 schools. UT and OU wanting to leave is like if UM and MSU said they're leaving the BSC. "Don't go you guys! Please!"

Wasn't that Fullerton's rationale for Kalifornicating the BSC?

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease!!!!!!!!

The fcs playoffs are great. Being an FBS program in a legitimate conference far, far, far, far, far, far, far outweighs them. More exposure. More dollars. More prestige. Better opponents, Better facilities. Better opportunities. More of everything that matters, really.

As garizz alludes to, all we lose is an "opportunity" to go to Frisco to play a football game at 9:00 in the morning in a soccer stadium.

garizzalies said:
Griz til I die said:
You mentioned most of the reasons for getting the hell out of FCS, the B League of college football.

Hate big time college football!

Love watching football on a crisp Saturday afternoon from a small college town.

Couldn't care less about the NFL D league (the SEC), the numerically inaccurate Big 10 (hey Northwestern, Ohio St, Michigan et al, if you are such great schools how come you can't count?), Notre Dame (you've got God on your side but still lose?), Clemson, Florida State, and Miami can't register their team GPA's until one of their players takes a class. The only interesting thing about the Pac-12 is the University of Nike Ducks uniforms which they seem to change at half time of each game. And Boise State (Riverside Community College) would have the ugliest field on God's green earth if EWU didn't exist (I'm assuming it still does as of this ranting).

Back