• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Toure/Flowers- WR's

mtgrizrule

I wasn't so sure who would step up with Toure's departure. I've been wanting Flowers to become a bigger part of this offense, since his arrival. Well guess what? It looks to me, Flowers is being used the same way that Toure was. He's the deep threat that has to be accounted for, opposite of Akem. Honestly, how does a defense account for Akem, Sulser, Roberts, Flowers, and Grossman (matter of time, before he breaks out)? Does a defense dare double, bracket, and or shadow Akem?

Scarier yet, this offense will only get better as Cam finds consistency and we get healthier at HB. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
I wasn't so sure who would step up with Toure's departure. I've been wanting Flowers to become a bigger part of this offense, since his arrival. Well guess what? It looks to me, Flowers is being used the same way that Toure was. He's the deep threat that has to be accounted for, opposite of Akem. Honestly, how does a defense account for Akem, Sulser, Roberts, Flowers, and Grossman (matter of time, before he breaks out)? Does a defense dare double, bracket, and or shadow Akem?

Scarier yet, this offense will only get better as Cam finds consistency and we get healthier at HB. :thumb:

:clap: :clap:

I don’t understand the criticism of Cam. Heck, even Tom Brady isn’t perfect, why is perfection expected of Cam? He had a heckuva game (again).

Sure do miss his production though, looks like he is doing well in Nebraska:

https://huskers.com/sports/football/roster/samori-toure/42908

goatcreekgriz said:
I don’t understand the criticism of Cam. Heck, even Tom Brady isn’t perfect, why is perfection expected of Cam? He had a heckuva game (again).

It’s not perfection, its consistency and finding the open receiver that most including myself want to see. When he’s on, cam is a terrific QB, and incredibly fun to watch. But he’s only on about 1/2 to 3/4 of the time. The other 1/2 to 1/4 of the time he doesn’t see the wide open guy and instead throws into traffic, which can lead to turnovers. He also has a tendency to overthrow receivers. He has time to improve, and maybe he will. But right now he is probably the biggest question mark on this team and it’s weakest link, as RB looks to be in good hands with the trio of Harris, Childs and Bergen. I’m not a cam hater, I think he has great moments, I just want him to consistently play to his potential is all. And for the record I think right now he’s our best option at QB anyways, so it’s not like I’m calling for him to be benched for Brown. When Brown came in he definitely didn’t look as game ready as cam.

Harris didn't play tonite. I know he left the UW game limping, and hasn't been back. Status?
Like someone else said, Cam isn't perfection, but he was 20 for 27 tonite, and had a couple nice little runs too. I will take that, with very little complaint.

goatcreekgriz said:

For me, Cam is showing he has much more potential than I originally expected.
However, we have yet to see the best of Cam. I admit, he has progressed a lot, since Sneed graduated.
Cam, has really improved at keeping his eyes upfield, when he scrambles and or just buying time in the pocket.
He used to take off, with head down, ,and never got to a 2nd read. He's also improved on pre snap reads.
He's definitely got me believing that he can lead us to a championship. He's just got to clean up forcing things a few times per game. Even Hauck said, this team has to clean up the careless turnovers. Both of Cam's picks against WIU could have easily been avoided. Those kind of turnovers can be costly against better competition. I think that's what most fans are getting at. To me, that's not much criticism, but pretty fair. I'm sure Cam and Hauck would agree with that.

20/27 for 252 with 5 TD vs. 2 int’s.

Can’t really argue with that. Cam stared the receiver down on the first pick and the second was an errant high throw. He still hustled back to try and make the stop (puckering but showed his heart). We can nitpick, but I’ll take the balls that hit Roberts, Akem, and Flowers for big plays all season if we can get them. He has improved and made some great decisions and throws versus a couple bad ones. And this was all with being down to our 5th string converted tailback 😮

Not sure how this thread turned so fast but Flowers was our leading receiver tonight. He has that straight line down field speed. I don't think he is toure in the cuts in and out.however he is a deep threat for sure. I have been waiting for years for him to get involved in the offense.

codycleve said:
Not sure how this thread turned so fast but Flowers was our leading receiver tonight. He has that straight line down field speed. I don't think he is toure in the cuts in and out.however he is a deep threat for sure. I have been waiting for years for him to get involved in the offense.

Me too. I wouldn't mind seeing him at HB now and then, too. He's an exciting player to watch though.

Wolf777 said:

Can’t really argue with that. Cam stared the receiver down on the first pick and the second was an errant high throw. He still hustled back to try and make the stop (puckering but showed his heart). We can nitpick, but I’ll take the balls that hit Roberts, Akem, and Flowers for big plays all season if we can get them. He has improved and made some great decisions and throws versus a couple bad ones. And this was all with being down to our 5th string converted tailback 😮

:clap: I really don't get all the criticism of Cam. Of course, he is not 30/30 for 500 yards and no INTs, but ... show me a QB who is. Both his INTs were to the same guy, who just seemed to be in the right place at the right time, both times. It happens. But, Cam came right back both times -- he threw FIVE touchdown passes. That's pretty good for most teams, especially ones down to their fourth and fifth string running backs!! I'm pretty happy to have Cam at QB.

mtgrizrule said:
codycleve said:

Me too. I wouldn't mind seeing him at HB now and then, too. He's an exciting player to watch though.

He is getting fly sweeps, or fake fly sleeps, after one works and the defense has to respect it

'68griz said:
Wolf777 said:

:clap: I really don't get all the criticism of Cam. Of course, he is not 30/30 for 500 yards and no INTs, but ... show me a QB who is. Both his INTs were to the same guy, who just seemed to be in the right place at the right time, both times. It happens. But, Cam came right back both times -- he threw FIVE touchdown passes. That's pretty good for most teams, especially ones down to their fourth and fifth string running backs!! I'm pretty happy to have Cam at QB.

For example, I assume you saw the pick 6 he threw that got erased by a WIU penalty? Not only did he overthrow his receiver, but threw in to tight coverage to begin with. It was a bad choice and a bad throw. We'd like to see things like this cleaned up a bit. Cam balled out today, but these kind of mistakes will us cost big time in tight games. A lot of this is decision-making, so I'm sure Cam will sharpen his skills and mastery of the offense as the season goes on.

gotgame75 said:
'68griz said:

For example, I assume you saw the pick 6 he threw that got erased by a WIU penalty? Not only did he overthrow his receiver, but threw in to tight coverage to begin with. It was a bad choice and a bad throw. We'd like to see things like this cleaned up a bit. Cam balled out today, but these kind of mistakes will us cost big time in tight games. A lot of this is decision-making, so I'm sure Cam will sharpen his skills and mastery of the offense as the season goes on.

I believe it does not get much tighter than the game last week. Character in crunch time matters. I think he showed it well last week.

Great game Malik!

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
goatcreekgriz said:

It’s not perfection, its consistency and finding the open receiver that most including myself want to see. When he’s on, cam is a terrific QB, and incredibly fun to watch. But he’s only on about 1/2 to 3/4 of the time. The other 1/2 to 1/4 of the time he doesn’t see the wide open guy and instead throws into traffic, which can lead to turnovers. He also has a tendency to overthrow receivers. He has time to improve, and maybe he will. But right now he is probably the biggest question mark on this team and it’s weakest link, as RB looks to be in good hands with the trio of Harris, Childs and Bergen. I’m not a cam hater, I think he has great moments, I just want him to consistently play to his potential is all. And for the record I think right now he’s our best option at QB anyways, so it’s not like I’m calling for him to be benched for Brown. When Brown came in he definitely didn’t look as game ready as cam.

Great post. Agree 100%

gotgame75 said:
'68griz said:

Come on 75, Cam is playing well and has led the team to two wins.

gotgame75 said:
'68griz said:

I saw a pick 6 but I don’t recall a pick 6 that was erased by a penalty. Did I miss something?

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
goatcreekgriz said:

Sure, Cam has room to improve. And if he had made more consistent progress before coming to UM, maybe he would still be at Boise State. But we should all count our blessings.

If you compare Cam to our successful QB's in "modern" Griz FB history, he stacks up very well. Granted, it's still a small sample size but one game was a gutty win over the UW Huskies. I don't think it's fair to compare Cam with Dickenson, or even Ah Yat, but think back to Drew Miller, John Edwards, Craig Ochs, Cole Bergquist, and Andrew Selle. Cam reminds me most of Edwards because he just gets it done (though he certainly isn't the runner John was) and is a leader. All five of these former QBs had room to improve, yet were successful in leading the Griz to some amazing victories. Comparisons are not always worth much, but Cam has helped lead the team to some impressive wins so far.

Cam is the guy this year. He will make mistakes and has the opportunity to get better, but I think he has the skills and mindset to take the Griz a long way. I disagree that he the "weakest link" on the team.

'68griz said:
Harris didn't play tonite. I know he left the UW game limping, and hasn't been back. Status?
Like someone else said, Cam isn't perfection, but he was 20 for 27 tonite, and had a couple nice little runs too. I will take that, with very little complaint.

Harris was dressed out and before the game was running around but you could tell whatever his injury was was a little stiff still. With a bye week I think we could expect to see him back in action coming out of it.

I am still surprised that Turner doesn't get some touches (other than clean up) with the top 3 hurt.

Back