• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MISSOULIAN-WTF?

Sport

I cannot believe what a piece of trash our local MISSOULIAN/FISH WRAP has become. The cat game and our game both started at 6:00 pm I believe. So when I go to lookup the stats and game summary whose shows up? Not the Griz but the f _ _ king cats! What a sorry excuse for sports journalism this supposedly home town newspaper has become. The byline said, “check back for the recap in Monday’s paper”. Lee Enterprises is a damn joke.

Missoulian has been trash for years with regard to Griz Football, I guess they don't want to sell papers in the fall in missoula. I used to always buy a Sunday paper just for the Griz football content, several pages dissecting the griz top to bottom. Now it's just a couple of bland articles and summaries. This is where I go now, pretty sure it's still Lee enterprises/Missoulian content but it is more up to date.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/

You ought to read the great falls tribune. Not one word in the paper about Cats or Griz or Saints or Ore Diggers or any other Montana college! Montana newspapers sold out the state of Montana!

reinell30 said:
You ought to read the great falls tribune. Not one word in the paper about Cats or Griz or Saints or Ore Diggers or any other Montana college! Montana newspapers sold out the state of Montana!
Newspapers are a thing of the past. Their online versions are also inferior.

They are all printed in 1 location now for Lee Newspapers (Helena I think?). As a result the "deadline" has been moved up to something ridiculous like 7:00 p.m. Expect the same for all night games, and virtually all high school sports (when they are covered).

Have an online subscription to the Gazette. By mid- Sunday morning their were 4 articles on the Cats up in the sports section and only photos from the Griz game (that were later linked to a write-up). Pretty pathetic. Today there are 5 Cat game stories and a photo link, and 1 Griz story and a photo link.

And just try finding radio coverage of a Griz game outside Missoula. What happened to the Griz sports network? Of course the KGVO app works but not in the absence of cell coverage in jerkwater, eastern Montana. UM has a coverage problem in the media. It’s been going on for years now. No wonder enrollment is down. If a high school kid in Scobey or Miles City or Havre didn’t have a Griz bloodline they’d hardly know the school existed.

After the UDub game, I was anticipating the post game show, but local feed switched to Cowherd. Wasn't the first time this happened.

Buttegrizzle said:
And just try finding radio coverage of a Griz game outside Missoula. What happened to the Griz sports network? Of course the KGVO app works but not in the absence of cell coverage in jerkwater, eastern Montana. UM has a coverage problem in the media. It’s been going on for years now. No wonder enrollment is down. If a high school kid in Scobey or Miles City or Havre didn’t have a Griz bloodline they’d hardly know the school existed.

Can't really disagree regarding the Missoulian, since it's pretty evident that the majority of Montana newspapers (besides possibly the Gazette and the Chronicle) have collapsed. I do, however, believe the Montana Grizzly Sports Network is still broadcast by 11 stations throughout Montana, as well as KGVO in Missoula. You're right about Miles City and Havre (significant coverage gaps there), but still broadcast in Billings, Butte (Boulder & Phillipsburg), Glasgow, Glendive, Great Falls, Helena, Kalispell, Lewistown, Plentywood, Polson and Shelby. I agree with you re: the distinct recruiting gap between MSU and UM which -- in my opinion -- is being handily out-recruited throughout the state by more schools than just MSU. Embarrasingly badly, in fact. I attended my grand-nephew's h. s. graduation in Corvallis this PAST spring & among the group of approximately 30 scholarship awardees (pretty accurate count, though I'm going by memory at this point :? ), 17 were headed to MSU, 7 to Carroll College in Helena & four to the school 40 miles north (UM). Ugh.

3-7-77 said:
The Engstrom legacy.

Think it is too long to continue blaming Engstrom. As a parent of a college student I can tell you Engstrom had nothing to do with why today’s kids (especially the best and brightest who are the scholars journal referred to) don’t go to UM.

In other “news”, the gazette building is also up for sale.

Engstrom and his cronies stupidity and actions, with the complicity of the Board of Regents, Commissioners and staff, snowballed our UM into a nosedive which I see only recoverable in a generation. We are in year ten of that process. That is just MY opinion. They have ruined a lot of lives with their actions/inactions.

Grizbeer said:
3-7-77 said:
The Engstrom legacy.

Think it is too long to continue blaming Engstrom. As a parent of a college student I can tell you Engstrom had nothing to do with why today’s kids (especially the best and brightest who are the scholars journal referred to) don’t go to UM.

A sizable portion of the blame falls on the shoulders of Mr. Engstrom, a classic parasite. Does he continue to draw a salary at UM?

Grizbeer said:

Which paper goes down first, the Tribune, the Missoulian, or the Gazette?
Tribune has a big head start in the other two. Tribune by ten lengths.

Spanky2 said:
Grizbeer said:

A sizable portion of the blame falls on the shoulders of Mr. Engstrom, a classic parasite. Does he continue to draw a salary at UM?
Yes, he was there at the tipping point and that cannot be underestimated. Momentum influences 18 year-olds. He was not listed on the Chemistry faculty last year. I think they sat him there until his contract expired. Probably wrote a book about the impact he had as President of UM.

3-7-77 said:
Grizbeer said:

Which paper goes down first, the Tribune, the Missoulian, or the Gazette?
Tribune has a big head start in the other two. Tribune by ten lengths.
What a race.

Back