• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Undeniable Secret Sauce to the Success of our Griz

HookedonGriz said:
I’d say that and some very strategic FBS transfers who are kicking ass!

I agree on the many other factors, including the FBS transfers. But the excellence of Montana high school football has flown under the national radar for years. I still think of it as our secret weapon.

HookedonGriz said:

Have we EVER had (collectively) a group of FBS transfers who provided so much value? Robertson. MayGinnes, Childs, Ford, Onu, Cotton, Alford, Belknap, Forbes, Pillans, Mallory, Todd, Babros....just crazy production from almost every single one.

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

Have we EVER had (collectively) a group of FBS transfers who provided so much value? Robertson. MayGinnes, Childs, Ford, Onu, Cotton, Alford, Belknap, Forbes, Pillans, Mallory, Todd, Babros....just crazy production from almost every single one.

Agree we’ve hit some absolute Homeruns with many of these guys.

Very true about the Secret Sauce regarding Montana football recruits. However, the real secret is the Special Seasoning Bobby adds to these Montana high school recruits after a couple years in his program.

AZGrizFan said:

Not to get too OT, but I think Alford came to Montana out of high school, Pillans came from a community college, and Mallory went to Dixie State (D2 at the time) and then a JUCO before transferring to Montana.

Spanky2 said:
Very true about the Secret Sauce regarding Montana football recruits. However, the real secret is the Special Seasoning Bobby adds to these Montana high school recruits after a couple years in his program.

As for the secret sauce, I would say it's more getting players that will buy-in to the team. Yes, having Montana kids helps with that because they've grown up fans or passionate about the program but look at basketball. Ahmaad Rorie especially seemed dedicated to TD (from childhood connections or whatnot) and willing to play more team-oriented when he had the ability to be a one-man show.

And yeah, the coaches/staff are the cooks in this scenario.

Spanky2 said:

Since Bobby doesn’t like to play freshman, I would say the seasoning or “sauce” is more of a marinade. Got to give it time to reach full potential!

"Our heart and soul will come from Wisconsin. Our hands and feet better come from somewhere else" Barry Alvarez

DoubleNicks said:
AZGrizFan said:

Not to get too OT, but I think Alford came to Montana out of high school, Pillans came from a community college, and Mallory went to Dixie State (D2 at the time) and then a JUCO before transferring to Montana.

Alford was at AF Prep, but I believe you’re correct about the other two.

I would also add … look at the make up of this coaching staff? How many with NFL experience? How many decades do they bring to the table? I would put their collective knowledge up against anyone I the country.

The secret sauce is.... teaching the fundamentals of tackling. Something our previous coach didn't believe in.

Griz Addict said:
The secret sauce is.... teaching the fundamentals of tackling. Something our previous coach didn't believe in.

C’mon man. The previous coach brought in the “Danger Will Robinson!” tackling robot.

sorry ci-tay, transfers is the secret sauce nowadays. as the (annoying) announcers said during the game, um has a power 5 defensive backfield. qb is a transfer. i could keep going, but you get the point.

putter said:
I would also add … look at the make up of this coaching staff? How many with NFL experience? How many decades do they bring to the table? I would put their collective knowledge up against anyone I the country.

agree, this is a very experienced coaching staff, which hasn't had much change in the last four years. seems like some older guys, who have made their money, and want to settle down in montana. or that is the vibe i get. hauck has a way better o.c. this time around, which helps a lot, too.

Griz Addict said:

He didn’t know how. He was an offensive genius.

Back