• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lacking Fans/Poor Pre-Game

reinell30

eGriz Club
DONOR
Folks, what has happened to Griz Nation?
The stadium has not been full one game this fall! Sure they report attendance number over 25K but the fans there can tell you that is 100% false. Opponent, Covid-19, Flu, just don't want to, or what is it?
Pre-game is nothing. Monte sick? Nothing going on at all. The team comes on the field before the coin toss is even over. Used to have the captains come out, do the coin toss, go back and come out with the team? Bring-em-out started while the coin toss is happening. No music building up to the team coming out? I am only 61 years old and I like it when the music gets you excited, the crowd gets loud and the team bursts onto the field in plume of smoke. Really lame so far this year?
People can blame it on Covid, but I am not buying it. We are outside where they say you are pretty safe, but who knows?
OK maybe I am being to critical, but I miss the Griz Nation experience of old. (Yes, I am old school) Most of you, tell your friends, family etc of amazing experience you had one time in griz stadium and I believe most of you want those experiences to continue or get started again? I mean who hasn't bragged about how loud our stadium was? The performances Monte used to do? The sky divers, the Music, The announcers, the cheerleaders, the food, etc...!
I will continue to show up and do my part as best I can, because I love Griz Football and love the fans!
Hopefully, things will get better again.
Done complaining.

For at least one of your comments - re: the team running out - The Big Sigh Conference wants the kickoff to happen sooner after the coin-flip - so I believe they may be figuring out the logistics of the run-out due to that.

cost and covid certainly play a part. not sure being elbow to to elbow with people screaming their lungs out is the same as just being outside..Covid numbers are up since sporting events opened up so who knows what impact that has. Also having every home game on TV might influence some people to stay home.

Dude that Cal Poly game was totally sold out, and I do think the WIU game was as well (if not, it was close). Dixie State was a garbage opponent and a garbage game, I can understand why attendance was low. This week, we're back into conference play, it's the 20th anniversary of the 2001 national championship team, I think it'll be rocking.

reinell30 said:
The stadium has not been full one game this fall! Sure they report attendance number over 25K but the fans there can tell you that is 100% false. Opponent, Covid-19, Flu, just don't want to, or what is it?
Pre-game is nothing. Monte sick? Nothing going on at all. The team comes on the field before the coin toss is even over. Used to have the captains come out, do the coin toss, go back and come out with the team? Bring-em-out started while the coin toss is happening. No music building up to the team coming out? I am only 61 years old and I like it when the music gets you excited, the crowd gets loud and the team bursts onto the field in plume of smoke. Really lame so far this year?
People can blame it on Covid, but I am not buying it. We are outside where they say you are pretty safe, but who knows?
OK maybe I am being to critical, but I miss the Griz Nation experience of old. (Yes, I am old school) Most of you, tell your friends, family etc of amazing experience you had one time in griz stadium and I believe most of you want those experiences to continue or get started again? I mean who hasn't bragged about how loud our stadium was? The performances Monte used to do? The sky divers, the Music, The announcers, the cheerleaders, the food, etc...!
I will continue to show up and do my part as best I can, because I love Griz Football and love the fans!
Done complaining.

Agreed. Monty is especially lame this year, must be a new guy in the suit.

Griz til I die said:
Dude that Cal Poly game was totally sold out, and I do think the WIU game was as well (if not, it was close). Dixie State was a garbage opponent and a garbage game, I can understand why attendance was low. This week, we're back into conference play, it's the 20th anniversary of the 2001 national championship team, I think it'll be rocking.

No offense, sold out on paper is not butts in seats. I sit on the east side and look across to the west side and see aluminum shining everywhere. People sit on West side and look across to the east side and see aluminum shining everywhere. They scan our tickets when we come in, why can't they get an accurate head count?

reinell30 said:
Griz til I die said:

No offense, sold out on paper is not butts in seats. I sit on the east side and look across to the west side and see aluminum shining everywhere. People sit on West side and look across to the east side and see aluminum shining everywhere. They scan our tickets when we come in, why can't they get an accurate head count?

pretty sure counted attendance is every ticket sold whether they show up or not and even includes work staff in the stadium.

WIU was totally packed. Yes I was there. But yes the rest of game day atmosphere felt lacking.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
For at least one of your comments - re: the team running out - The Big Sigh Conference wants the kickoff to happen sooner after the coin-flip - so I believe they may be figuring out the logistics of the run-out due to that.

I noticed that the pregame order for the Cats has changed this year, I thought it was the new coach or AD's idea, but it makes sense if the BSC wanted the change that would explain it.

the refs get the captains from the lockerroom and head to each 50, then the visitors come out, then the Cats come out, then they do the coin toss. At least that's how its being done this year in Bozeman

MissoulaMarinerFan said:

I noticed that the pregame order for the Cats has changed this year, I thought it was the new coach or AD's idea, but it makes sense if the BSC wanted the change that would explain it.

the refs get the captains from the lockerroom and head to each 50, then the visitors come out, then the Cats come out, then they do the coin toss. At least that's how its being done this year in Bozeman

I remember my first Griz game with my kids. They had the video screen of the earth and then panned down to Wa/Griz and had cool graphics about the state of Montana and then the population of Wa/Griz. Then Barry would come out as Monte get the crown going with Kid Rock. Welcome to the Jungle would fire up and everyone would go crazy (I prefer that to Bring 'em Out) and then the skydivers. It was pretty cool and led to the mystique of the stadium. Not sure what is happening behind the scenes now but it is not 1/2 of what it used to be

futuregrizer said:
reinell30 said:
Done complaining.

Agreed. Monty is especially lame this year, must be a new guy in the suit.

Could be a women, had one before that's when the goal post body slam quit.

And now let's hear from the "quit complaining and you should just be there for the game" crowd....

Seriously, part of the aura and greatness that became Griz football was all the extra stuff that led up to kickoff. It's all virtually non-existent now. Light poles certainly played a role in the skydivers, but they still did it on occasion so not sure why they don't now, especially for a game like homecoming. Monte's entrance was always fun and (with the right person) was great at getting the crowd going. Playing the right song and the right moment fuels the crowd as well and I'm not seeing much of that anymore either, especially leading up to the team coming out of the tunnel and at certain points in the game. And did I seriously hear that we don't play Cotton-eyed Joe anymore because some a-hole decided it was racist? I know there are those could care less about that song, but like it or not, it absolutely pumped up the crowd. Teams can feed off of crowd excitement and there certainly seems to be less of it than there used to be. You want people in the stadium early to ease long lines at the entrances, then make it worth our while. Yes I know, the game is obviously the most important part, but taking the crowd out of the game with a lackluster stadium experience is not a great move.

BRING BACK COTTON EYED JOE!!! (Side note, does anyone remember the big guy that they always showed on the jumbotron dancing to that? That was some funny sh*t right there!)

Anybody heard One AC/DC song this year? One of the most Iconic bands for sporting events ever! They keep going the ways it is going and people will stay home altogether.

I have passed on the Cal Poly and Dixie games because of Covid. Probably doubling the amount of games I have missed in the past 20 years. I’m not a health care worker but I’m doing it for them. I will continue to buy tickets to support the team even if I don’t use them.

reinell30 said:
Griz til I die said:

...players holding Calvary flags are gone too :shock: Bobcats are still bringing theirs flags out...new Griz policy..'lets not offend anyone' ?

UM Athletics has a new Director of Marketing and Community Relations. Mike Murtagh came from Iowa where he was Assistant Director of Marketing. His duties at UM include "game day fan experience". Perhaps complaints should be registered with him.

maroonandsilver said:
UM Athletics has a new Director of Marketing and Community Relations. Mike Murtagh came from Iowa where he was Assistant Director of Marketing. His duties at UM include "game day fan experience". Perhaps complaints should be registered with him.
Well Mike definitely needs to reevaluate what is being done or turn the duties over to someone who understands what "The Game Day Experiense' is all about. You don't fix what is not broken. Granted "bring em out" is lame and should be replaced but "Lets Get Ready To Rumble" with a full stadium clapping and the North End Zone going crazy has to effect the other team plus is so much fun.
Where are the T shirt cannons?
It feels like the university wants to ruin the game day experience.

Cost is one of the main reasons I stopped going, along with a lot of my friends. The music is outdated, ACDC sucks, no beer in seats, theres only two or three other bsc teams I would really get excited for, the students dont even really get into the game. I would rather watch at home.
With all that said, anyone got any tickets for the brawl? :lol:
Go Griz

Back