• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Points off Turnovers

AZGrizFan

DONOR
The Griz of yesteryear FEASTED on turnovers and almost routinely used them as game-changing plays. Now, we have a tendency to just give it right back. 3rd straight game where we had multiple turnovers and got ZERO points out of them.

Additionally, playcalling leads to stalled drives in the red zone, and we had two more of those today. Turn those in to TD’s and we win that game.

AZGrizFan said:
The Griz of yesteryear FEASTED on turnovers and almost routinely used them as game-changing plays. Now, we have a tendency to just give it right back. 3rd straight game where we had multiple turnovers and got ZERO points out of them.

Additionally, playcalling leads to stalled drives in the red zone, and we had two more of those today. Turn those in to TD’s and we win that game.
Yup, but they didn't even come close.

Montana is +4 in turnover margin. Here's what they've done with those 15 turnovers, working backwards from the Sac State game...

Fumble - Interception 1-0
Fumble - Punt 3-9
Interception - Punt 3-8
Fumble - Fumble 5-13
Interception - Punt 3-4
Interception - Missed FG 3-4
Interception - End of Half 1- -2
Interception - Punt 5-51
Interception - Returned for TD
Fumble - TD 4-6
Interception - Interception 4-17
Fumble - Interception 3-1
Interception - End of Game 1- -1
Interception - TD 10-69
Interception - Punt 3- -4

So, outside of Belknap's INT returned for a TD, we have had exactly ONE sustained drive that resulted in points, and that was in the first game against UW. 15 turnovers, only 21 total points (and 6 of those were scored by the D). Two INT's were at the end of the half (or game, in UW's case). Seven 3-outs (or worse). Only once did the offense move the ball further than 17 yards.

That doesn't sound like Griz football.

AZGrizFan said:
Montana is +4 in turnover margin. Here's what they've done with those 15 turnovers, working backwards from the Sac State game...

Fumble - Punt 3-9
Interception - Punt 3-8
Fumble - Fumble 5-13
Interception - Punt 3-4
Interception - Punt 5-51
Fumble - TD 4-6
Interception - TD 10-69

So, outside of Belknap's INT returned for a TD, we have had exactly ONE sustained drive that resulted in points, and that was in the first game against UW. 15 turnovers, only 21 total points (and 6 of those were scored by the D). Two INT's were at the end of the half (or game, in UW's case). Seven 3-outs (or worse). Only once did the offense move the ball further than 17 yards.

Is it coaching changes that need to take place?

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Fumble - Punt 3-9
Interception - Punt 3-8
Fumble - Fumble 5-13
Interception - Punt 3-4
Interception - Punt 5-51
Fumble - TD 4-6
Interception - TD 10-69

Is it coaching changes that need to take place?

Well, I don't know. But we talk alot on this board about a "gassed D" and the inability to get the Defense off the field....well, here's 15 times the defense got themselves off the field, and for the most part the offense did NOTHING with it and turned the ball right back over and put the defense right back on the field. That is not a recipe for success.

AZGrizFan said:

Fumble - Punt 3-9
Interception - Punt 3-8
Fumble - Fumble 5-13
Interception - Punt 3-4
Interception - Punt 5-51
Fumble - TD 4-6
Interception - TD 10-69

Okay, it seemed bad, but this really puts it into perspective.

Fuckin yikes.

O K Coach. Also 20/20 hindsight. and second guessing. I believe you are a very savvy Football man. But as an ex coach, I have made numerous bad calls. Well, that said maybe that is why i am no longer coaching. How about You???Go Griz, It is all uphill from here.

Griz#64 said:
O K Coach. Also 20/20 hindsight. and second guessing. I believe you are a very savvy Football man. But as an ex coach, I have made numerous bad calls. Well, that said maybe that is why i am no longer coaching. How about You???Go Griz, It is all uphill from here.

It’s not hindsight. It’s a list of facts. Not sure why that upsets you so. Making numerous bad calls is one thing. Repeatedly failing to take advantage of situations you STRIVE for in a game is not a recipe for success….merely putting the topic out there because it is not what we’re used to as Griz fans….

Griz#64 said:

My opinion of AZ's observation is that it's a mentality and strategy that was a trademark of Bobby Hauck teams. Blood in the water type of thing.

There was a lot of blood in the water on Saturday but we weren't there to kill on any of it.

Ok I have to say it. We are missing one guy. The guy who scored 25 touchdowns for this team. Everyone needs to chill because once Knight comes back our red zone and scoring woes will be solved. And that’s for the long term.

Sweetness said:
Ok I have to say it. We are missing one guy. The guy who scored 25 touchdowns for this team. Everyone needs to chill because once Knight comes back our red zone and scoring woes will be solved. And that’s for the long term.

That will probably be in 2022. Meantime, there is half a season to get through.

Look, those Kids from Sac State came in here and played their butts off, as underdogs. Just like our kids did against Washington. It just happened to be their day. Many years ago Utah State came into Dornblazer stadium about a 30 point Favorite, and Terry Dillon and pat dodson, and Bobby O Billivich beat them like 45 / 7. Shit happens, Go down the road.. Beat the Vandals, to start to right the ship. Go Griz

Griz#64 said:
Look, those Kids from Sac State came in here and played their butts off, as underdogs. Just like our kids did against Washington. It just happened to be their day. Many years ago Utah State came into Dornblazer stadium about a 30 point Favorite, and Terry Dillon and pat dodson, and Bobby O Billivich beat them like 45 / 7. Shit happens, Go down the road.. Beat the Vandals, to start to right the ship. Go Griz

right. Except the issue with not capitalizing on turnovers isn't a "Sac State game" issue. It's been literally all season.

Listen, if you don't want to participate in the discussion, don't. But I don't understand why you keep arguing points that nobody is making.

'68griz said:
Sweetness said:

Yes, but it’s not our coaches. How can you blame them when they lost one of their top offensive production players. People need to stop calling for rosy’s job and remember that in 2019 they had one of the top scoring and productive offenses in the nation. We’ll get back to that when we have our dogs back. Be patient.

Sweetness said:
'68griz said:

Yes, but it’s not our coaches. How can you blame them when they lost one of their top offensive production players. People need to stop calling for rosy’s job and remember that in 2019 they had one of the top scoring and productive offenses in the nation. We’ll get back to that when we have our dogs back. Be patient.

LOL

Sweetness said:
'68griz said:

Yes, but it’s not our coaches. How can you blame them when they lost one of their top offensive production players.

Some could criticize by pointing to the very fact that we did lose Knight, and Ostmo, and Childs, but still continue to attempt to run plays like any of the above players are getting the carries.

Back