• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Griz on the ropes

BWahlberg

DONOR
Well that wasn’t very fun. In front of a full stadium, the 2001 national championship team, and with hopes for a win to help keep Montana on pace for a top spot in the conference, it all fell apart as injuries, the offense, and a gassed defense could not put together enough to put Montana up over Sacramento State.

This was Sac’s first win ever in Wa Griz and I’ve got to say head coach Taylor and DC Andy Thompson had a damn good plan to come into Montana and get away with a monumental upset win. The Montana offense was terrible inefficient and unable to get in rhythm the whole day. Meanwhile the defense was caught early with a well scripted Sac drive and then were on their heels the whole game continually having to answer again and again and again. Add in some uncharacteristic special teams errors that wiped off a punt return touchdown and it just seemed like if it could go wrong, it did go wrong today.

There’s no pretty statistic from this game. 23:05 TOP for UM, 4 of 14 on 3rd down, and 272 total yards of offense (84 rushing / 188 passing). The Montana passing offense was averaging 6.5 yards per completion while Sac was averaging almost double at 12.1 yards. Then you flip it defensively, Sac ran for 154 and passed for 302, they were 9 for 15 on 3rd down and obviously held the ball for far longer than Montana, 36:55.

It seemed like even when regularly good plays happened, like Ford’s INT, it actually hurt Montana as a batted pass there would’ve swung the field almost 30 yards for the Griz on that one play. Injuries also once again reared their head as it seemed Xavier Harris missed the whole 2nd half, and many defensive players were getting knocked out with cramps or other injuries too.

By no means is this season over, but this team needs to get things figured out fast as now this stretch of what we once thought were “easy” games suddenly don’t look so easy anymore. The offense has continually receded in efficiency and now the defense is unraveling as they’re being asked to continually do so much every single game.

Some additional thoughts:

- O-line play today wasn’t good. I don’t know if there’s any way to sugar coat that. Sac was constantly pressuring Brown and got to him with a 3 man rush once and few 4 man rushes as well. They would scrape an end across the line and it seemed to be a tough task to pick him up. There were seemingly no running lanes cleared up either (2.9 YPC).

- Kris Brown was efficient in his completions but they were almost entirely short/check-down passes. There were open options up the field at times that were missed, and then maybe the most costly was a bad throw to a well covered Akem that lead to a goal-line pick just one play after a Sac fumble. Brown had 2 more turnovers today and took some really costly sacks. I don’t think the design today did a lot of favors to help him, but especially once the 4th quarter got going, he looked like a freshman in a moment he might not have been fully ready to take on.

- I know there’s going to be more clamoring for how soon Cam can come back, but if he’s going to get lit up all the time like Kris did, he’ll be back on the injured list real quick himself.

- A great day for Justin Ford, save the pick that really helped Sac – but that’s hard to criticize as he was doing his job. Multiple breakups and many big plays to kill Sac drives and keep Montana in the game.

- Also a good day for Cole Grossman, he seems to be getting more comfortable in this offense and was the top target today.

- I feel that the 2nd half of the EWU game, now the Dixie game, and this game has shown teams how to handle the high pressure Montana defense. Keep extra blockers in (TE/RB) and then find the open hole in the zones. Sac exploited that very well today, and all day long.

- Horrific officiating today. It didn’t cost the Griz the game as I think Sac has a pretty good argument on the 4th and 1 stop late, but holy cow that was bad out there today.

- Montana’s 4th quarter possessions, 1 play ending in an interception, 3 and out, turnover on downs that went 8 plays but actually finished with a net of -1 yards. Montana had 5 three and outs and two drives that ended in 2 plays or less on turnovers.

- Save 1 wobbly kick another good punting day for Buschini.

- I know the running game will be a subject for discussion but I’m unsure what this team is supposed to do. We’re now on our 5th string running back who is a true freshman that is slated to play WR. And Bergen actually had a decent day overall. The youth an inexperience in many positions that have been wrecked by injury are showing.

Man, that was a rough one. I’m hopeful that this team can regroup and hopefully with some games that are seemingly more winnable they can put the pieces back together and get things going again. We’ve seen other Montana teams on the ropes and many have bounced back and made a post-season push. The Griz are going to have to get things rolling as their ranking is going to take a big drop and they’ll need to rattle off a handful of wins moving forward. I hope the fans don’t give up on these guys, this has been a long time in the making and these guys are facing some heavy adversity. Yes many things need to be addressed and cleaned up, but I remain hopeful that they will be.

Regroup, let’s get back to the win column next weekend.

Go Griz!

BWahlberg said:
Well that wasn’t very fun. In front of a full stadium, the 2001 national championship team, and with hopes for a win to help keep Montana on pace for a top spot in the conference, it all fell apart as injuries, the offense, and a gassed defense could not put together enough to put Montana up over Sacramento State.

This was Sac’s first win ever in Wa Griz and I’ve got to say head coach Taylor and DC Andy Thompson had a damn good plan to come into Montana and get away with a monumental upset win. The Montana offense was terrible inefficient and unable to get in rhythm the whole day. Meanwhile the defense was caught early with a well scripted Sac drive and then were on their heels the whole game continually having to answer again and again and again. Add in some uncharacteristic special teams errors that wiped off a punt return touchdown and it just seemed like if it could go wrong, it did go wrong today.

There’s no pretty statistic from this game. 23:05 TOP for UM, 4 of 14 on 3rd down, and 272 total yards of offense (84 rushing / 188 passing). The Montana passing offense was averaging 6.5 yards per completion while Sac was averaging almost double at 12.1 yards. Then you flip it defensively, Sac ran for 154 and passed for 302, they were 9 for 15 on 3rd down and obviously held the ball for far longer than Montana, 36:55.

It seemed like even when regularly good plays happened, like Ford’s INT, it actually hurt Montana as a batted pass there would’ve swung the field almost 30 yards for the Griz on that one play. Injuries also once again reared their head as it seemed Xavier Harris missed the whole 2nd half, and many defensive players were getting knocked out with cramps or other injuries too.

By no means is this season over, but this team needs to get things figured out fast as now this stretch of what we once thought were “easy” games suddenly don’t look so easy anymore. The offense has continually receded in efficiency and now the defense is unraveling as they’re being asked to continually do so much every single game.

Some additional thoughts:

- O-line play today wasn’t good. I don’t know if there’s any way to sugar coat that. Sac was constantly pressuring Brown and got to him with a 3 man rush once and few 4 man rushes as well. They would scrape an end across the line and it seemed to be a tough task to pick him up. There were seemingly no running lanes cleared up either (2.9 YPC).

- Kris Brown was efficient in his completions but they were almost entirely short/check-down passes. There were open options up the field at times that were missed, and then maybe the most costly was a bad throw to a well covered Akem that lead to a goal-line pick just one play after a Sac fumble. Brown had 2 more turnovers today and took some really costly sacks. I don’t think the design today did a lot of favors to help him, but especially once the 4th quarter got going, he looked like a freshman in a moment he might not have been fully ready to take on.

- I know there’s going to be more clamoring for how soon Cam can come back, but if he’s going to get lit up all the time like Kris did, he’ll be back on the injured list real quick himself.

- A great day for Justin Ford, save the pick that really helped Sac – but that’s hard to criticize as he was doing his job. Multiple breakups and many big plays to kill Sac drives and keep Montana in the game.

- Also a good day for Cole Grossman, he seems to be getting more comfortable in this offense and was the top target today.

- I feel that the 2nd half of the EWU game, now the Dixie game, and this game has shown teams how to handle the high pressure Montana defense. Keep extra blockers in (TE/RB) and then find the open hole in the zones. Sac exploited that very well today, and all day long.

- Horrific officiating today. It didn’t cost the Griz the game as I think Sac has a pretty good argument on the 4th and 1 stop late, but holy cow that was bad out there today.

- Montana’s 4th quarter possessions, 1 play ending in an interception, 3 and out, turnover on downs that went 8 plays but actually finished with a net of -1 yards. Montana had 5 three and outs and two drives that ended in 2 plays or less on turnovers.

- Save 1 wobbly kick another good punting day for Buschini.

- I know the running game will be a subject for discussion but I’m unsure what this team is supposed to do. We’re now on our 5th string running back who is a true freshman that is slated to play WR. And Bergen actually had a decent day overall. The youth an inexperience in many positions that have been wrecked by injury are showing.

Man, that was a rough one. I’m hopeful that this team can regroup and hopefully with some games that are seemingly more winnable they can put the pieces back together and get things going again. We’ve seen other Montana teams on the ropes and many have bounced back and made a post-season push. The Griz are going to have to get things rolling as their ranking is going to take a big drop and they’ll need to rattle off a handful of wins moving forward. I hope the fans don’t give up on these guys, this has been a long time in the making and these guys are facing some heavy adversity. Yes many things need to be addressed and cleaned up, but I remain hopeful that they will be.

Regroup, let’s get back to the win column next weekend.

Go Griz!

It was absolutely painful to watch. Terrible football in all 3 phases. I’d also add that the entire vibe in the stadium was
Weird AF. Fans were subconsciously begging for a reason to be excited. The griz seemed flat and unable to provide them with such.

I know the running game will be a subject for discussion

I really don't understand why Turner doesn't get more looks, he seems to do all right whenever he does get a chance to get in the game… I mean his presence couldn't make our offense any worse than it already is, right?

Brint, you hit the nail on the head… I can’t believe how many injured there are, how many have been sick and haven’t gotten back to game speed. It’s insane. I feel like Baer’s defense is a lot like Semore’s. Once you get the hang of it, you can neutralize it.

The O needs an identity. Right now it looks lost. Can’t run, can’t pass. Given the talent on this roster, it is astonishing to me.

What happened to the Blitzkreig D? Seemed like we were sitting back, not blitzing, giving the QB ample time to find an open WR…..

Fahque said:
I know the running game will be a subject for discussion

I really don't understand why Turner doesn't get more looks, he seems to do all right whenever he does get a chance to get in the game… I mean his presence couldn't make our offense any worse than it already is, right?

This! He knows this offense. Maybe keep him in as a protector for the QB

retiredpopo said:
amen. win out and all will be ok. Have faith Griz Nation.

That is a pretty tall order for a Griz team that is struggling terribly. I'm honestly nervous that they will even be able to go 3-2 in the last 5.

Good write up Brint. Right now the griz are barely average. Defense is ok, and the offense
Is bad. We are dead last in the big sky. I hope the team can play better but we will probably finish mid pac in conference. Just not a lot of talent on the field and opposing coaches have out game planned.

ranco said:
Good write up Brint. Right now the griz are barely average. Defense is ok, and the offense
Is bad. We are dead last in the big sky. I hope the team can play better but we will probably finish mid pac in conference. Just not a lot of talent on the field and opposing coaches have out game planned.

The emperor has no clothes. Baer’s D has been exposed, and the offense is vanilla. That’s a bad combination.

I think it’s completely unrealistic to expect the defense to hold opposing offenses to 7 points every game. That’s unheard of, nobody can do that. I didn’t think the defense was all that bad. Sac State runs a tough scheme with 2 QB’s who are polar opposites, that’s tough to defend. What I was frustrated with though was the lack of pressure. Credit their RB’s for providing that additional blocking to buy their QB’s time but that man that’s frustrating.

At some point the offense has to hold their end of the rope and until we start getting older guys back, it’s not gonna happen. The O-line wasn’t great today, but I don’t put all the blame on them. KB needs to make better decisions and get rid of the ball quicker. He’s gotta clean up the turnovers too.

ranco said:
You’re an idiot. No talent? Let me ask you this. Do you think we have a different outcome today if Knight, Ostmo and Cam are out there? cause I tend to think all 3 of those guys are talented enough to win us this game and maybe even the Eastern game. It’s not a lack of talent. It’s a gassed team that’s injured and desperately needs to get guys back to go on any kind of run.

The issues this team has are deep and plentiful. Boils down incompetent coaching. Coaches lack the ability to judge talent. The season is done and cats are licking their chops. That one will be painful, again.

Griz til I die said:
ranco said:
You’re an idiot. No talent? Let me ask you this. Do you think we have a different outcome today if Knight, Ostmo and Cam are out there? cause I tend to think all 3 of those guys are talented enough to win us this game and maybe even the Eastern game. It’s not a lack of talent. It’s a gassed team that’s injured and desperately needs to get guys back to go on any kind of run.
[/quote

You obviously can’t read. I said talent on the field. Sorry I should have clarified - not just on the field but playing on the field.

BillingsMafia said:
The issues this team has are deep and plentiful. Boils down incompetent coaching. Coaches lack the ability to judge talent. The season is done and cats are licking their chops. That one will be painful, again.
:roll: So Justin Fords not a good corner? O’Connell is not a good linebacker? That’s quite the bold statement there! Stop showing up to the games then with that mentality.

We definitely need a more diverse offense. Put more people in motion, do some jet sweeps, more read option plays. When the defense doesn't respect the run, they can sit back in coverage all day without a worry. The offensive scheme is bleh. And even with Cam, it was bleh.. This staff isn't trusting the players enough. We seen our offense can be more diverse when Sneed was in. I really don't think Sneed was that much better than the current QBs. The refs were straight bullshit. The no call on that return, was the most ridiculous ca I've ever seen. He straight up hit White before he even touched the ball... I swear refs always go against us. I see other teams consistently hold us and pass interfere with no call but, Griz do it and they are on that shit like they are bout to get some booty. So many factors into why we lost, it's really surprising that it was only by a td. Both this game and EWU could have been won with some better choices and play calling. I have faith that it will be cleaned up and everyone will be praising this team as championship caliber by November. Egriz is a Rollercoaster ride of radical emotions. Y'all are like a teenager on her first period.

ranco said:
Griz til I die said:
[/quote

You obviously can’t read. I said talent on the field. Sorry I should have clarified - not just on the field but playing on the field.
We’ll I’ve said this ad nauseum tonight but what do you expect from this offense with freshmen running backs and a freshman QB? We look like a young, inconsistent offense out there because that’s what it is. Until guys like Cam and Ostmo come back, this should be the expectation. These guys are all talented, they just lack experience.

Griz til I die said:
BillingsMafia said:
:roll: So Justin Fords not a good corner? O’Connell is not a good linebacker? That’s quite the bold statement there! Stop showing up to the games then with that mentality.
Good coaching isn't spotting obvious talent, its the close calls and what to look for. Watch the missed pass on the first two point conversion attempt.

It’s pretty simple. With a limited experience freshman quarterback, play relatively soft on the back end and trust he won’t lead a double digit play scoring drive.

Back