• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Give me one reason

Griz til I die

DONOR
If I had everybody give me one reason (and one reason only, don’t give more than 1) why the Griz are currently 4-2 and 1-2 in Big Sky play, what would it be? For me it’s pretty simple, injuries. We don’t have our top playmakers and it’s hurting us.

I’m bringing this up because I think a lot of people on here are overthinking this. Sure, we could think of a million different reasons for why we lost the game today, but the simplest reason is the injuries on offense. Now I know some of you are gonna say that we gotta have that next man up mentality or injuries are a part of the game, but it’s gotten to a point where we’re relying on way too many freshmen to try and win us games when in reality their just not ready to even be out there yet.

Now don’t get me wrong, these kids are trying their hardest and giving it everything they have, but if I told you at the start of fall camp that we were gonna have this many injuries midway through the season, what would you have said our record this year would be? Would you have predicted us to win the conference? Because I wouldn’t have. Let’s stop overthinking this and realize that until we start getting guys back, this is what we’re gonna get moving forward.

You hit the nail on the head.

Most telling example is that we are now down to our 5th string RB that’s a redshirt freshman converted from a WR.

Our whole team needs to sleep in a hyperbaric chamber this week.

HookedonGriz said:
Our OC and his shit play calling
That’s what your going with hooked? Ok honest question, what would you have like to seen us do offensively today with what we had? Our only running back we had remaining in the second half was Bergen and we saw that KB was clearly not capable of throwing downfield, so what would you have liked them to do? I’m honestly not all that upset about the play calling because I think the offense was tailored to the guys we had and what they’re capable of doing.

Griz til I die said:
HookedonGriz said:
That’s what your going with hooked? Ok honest question, what would you have like to seen us do offensively today with what we had? Our only running back we had remaining in the second half was Bergen and we saw that KB was clearly not capable of throwing downfield, so what would you have liked them to do? I’m honestly not all that upset about the play calling because I think the offense was tailored to the guys we had and what they’re capable of doing.

Hey rainbows and butterflies, don’t ask a question if you are going to get triggered by the answer. If we don’t have a QB who can throw down field then we don’t have a QB. If we don’t have an OC who is willing to take a shot here and there (or hell I don’t know make a throw more than 10 yards) then we don’t have an OC. The offense has been as bad as I’ve seen in probably a decade and it’s an absolute trend now, not an anomaly. That’s an issue with our OC first and foremost, and his schemes and play calling. There’s a reason we are 3rd and long 90% of the time. There’s a reason we are so bad at 3rd down conversions. There’s a reason we are only averaging 29 points and 360 yards per game….360 freaking yards.. So yes, that’s my answer.

The QB. Cam was capable of the playoffs, but it was unlikely he had enough for a championship. Saying we were going to win a championship means we had a QB who was NFL eligible or at least CFL capable. You don’t win a championship in the FCS now without that level of leadership and talent at that position. Having that changes the entire team play. Hard to say if Cam could get to that level but we at least are legitimate playoff contenders. Brown will not be at that level. He’s athletic but not enough for this program. He’d be very good in DIII just like Nathan Dick.

Of concern is why staff didn’t recognize this for next year.

Which brings me to think that maybe this offense is so unorganized players like Knight may enter the transfer portal. Kind of like Toure. I mean why play in a system so inept that it may cost you a chance at the next level. And since Griz til I die seems to sugar coat any and all opinions regarding the 2021 football team with so many injuries maybe the strength coach should be considered. Quit making excuses for Rosenbach, Germer and Pease. I watched this game and saw plenty of blame to go around regarding the offense. It was just bad..from design to execution.

I didn't watch the game but looking at the stat lines, what struck me is that Brown had a very good completion %. If memory serves almost 20 completions. 19 of 24? But he didn't have many yards. That's an interesting stat.

Allezchat said:
I didn't watch the game but looking at the stat lines, what struck me is that Brown had a very good completion %. If memory serves almost 20 completions. 19 of 24? But he didn't have many yards. That's an interesting stat.
I think he threw maybe 5 of those passes more than 10 yards, and the majority of the short ones were easily sniffed out.

Allezchat said:

He also didn't complete a pass over 16 yards and missed multiple TD's throws by a mile. Don't let stats deceive you. Sac. St purposely sacrificed the short, underneath stuff and it worked it to perfection.

AKGriz72 said:
You hit the nail on the head.

Most telling example is that we are now down to our 5th string RB that’s a redshirt freshman converted from a WR.

Our whole team needs to sleep in a hyperbaric chamber this week.

RB isn't even a Red Shirt Freshman--TRUE freshman. He played high school ball last year.

nzone said:
Which brings me to think that maybe this offense is so unorganized players like Knight may enter the transfer portal. Kind of like Toure. I mean why play in a system so inept that it may cost you a chance at the next level. And since Griz til I die seems to sugar coat any and all opinions regarding the 2021 football team with so many injuries maybe the strength coach should be considered. Quit making excuses for Rosenbach, Germer and Pease. I watched this game and saw plenty of blame to go around regarding the offense. It was just bad..from design to execution.
How am I sugar coating it? That’s the truth. Is our offense not a bunch of redshirt and true freshmen right now? How are we supposed to win games with that much inexperience on the field?

Also, I don’t believe I made one excuse for any coach. Everybody’s equally responsible for a loss and everyone has to be better in the next game. That’s pretty obvious. If Bobby feels that any of these coaches can’t do their job at a high level, he’d get rid of them, and maybe he will get rid of some of them in the offseason. Whatever it takes.

You mention Knight transferring, but honestly what school is gonna take him when he’s 2 years removed from the game and coming off an acl injury? That sounds like a massive gamble for any FBS school to take. I can guarantee you no P5 school would take that chance.

Giving one reason is just too simple. I am not going to say that injuries don't play a part, but the offense has been bad all season, QB play has been inconsistent, play calling has been questionable, teams have figured out the defense and they have been slow to adjust, and kicking game has been average at best. Winning games for the remainder of the season is going to be a chore.

As I see it the play calling is bad because Rosenbauch is playing not to lose rather than be more aggressive and trying to win. They started the year with a below average talent at Qb and freshman rbs. Now it's basically a jv team out there on offense they look like they may have some potential in 2 or 3 years. Also not sure what's going on with the oline. They have guys quitting mid-season and the guys that are playing don't seem to be playing well at all. I think it maybe time to get a new oline coach been a long time since Germer had a good oline. They have been good at time but not constantly.

HookedonGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

Hey rainbows and butterflies, don’t ask a question if you are going to get triggered by the answer. If we don’t have a QB who can throw down field then we don’t have a QB. If we don’t have an OC who is willing to take a shot here and there (or hell I don’t know make a throw more than 10 yards) then we don’t have an OC. The offense has been as bad as I’ve seen in probably a decade and it’s an absolute trend now, not an anomaly. That’s an issue with our OC first and foremost, and his schemes and play calling. There’s a reason we are 3rd and long 90% of the time. There’s a reason we are so bad at 3rd down conversions. There’s a reason we are only averaging 29 points and 360 yards per game….360 freaking yards.. So yes, that’s my answer.

Hooked...100% correct! Couldn't said this better. Our OC has been an issue for three years now. The team does what they are told.

HookedonGriz said:

Outsider here - honestly head scratching yesterday and agree. Have to do more with Frosh QB - get him out of the pocket, let him run when WIDE open patches of grass. Why are you calling dive after dive for your converted speedy WR playing RB? I almost lost my $&@- on behalf of eGriz when I saw the dangerous 4th and short pass call when there was still plenty of time.

Kadeezy said:
HookedonGriz said:

Outsider here - honestly head scratching yesterday and agree. Have to do more with Frosh QB - get him out of the pocket, let him run when WIDE open patches of grass. Why are you calling dive after dive for your converted speedy WR playing RB? I almost lost my $&@- on behalf of eGriz when I saw the dangerous 4th and short pass call when there was still plenty of time.

And also, Sac State has tons of film this year getting burned on deep play action passes, by Dixie, UNI, And Cal.

Kadeezy said:
Kadeezy said:

And also, Sac State has tons of film this year getting burned on deep play action passes, by Dixie, UNI, And Cal.

Film? We don’t watch film. We do things the same way regardless of opponent and/or situation. The game plan was developed 20 years ago, and it worked just fine then. The staff cannot be bothered with trendy schemes involving passes beyond the sticks. Keep it between the tackles and win the line of scrimmage. If it doesn’t work the first 30 times, try the same fucking thing again.

CDAGRIZ said:
Kadeezy said:

Film? We don’t watch film. We do things the same way regardless of opponent and/or situation. The game plan was developed 20 years ago, and it worked just fine then. The staff cannot be bothered with trendy schemes involving passes beyond the sticks. Keep it between the tackles and win the line of scrimmage. If it doesn’t work the first 30 times, try the same f###[#] thing again.

I have to agree with CDA here. The offense is stagnant and I can’t blame it all on a young QB or RB. The play calling in the hurry up at the end of the half was, on that last drive, suddenly pretty good. But after halftime we got back to the routine of uninspired stuff. I begin to wonder if the staff is so ego centric that they won’t let KB scramble or use Akem and Flowers more because they think they have to stick to a dumbed down, simplified checkdown pass-and-dive script for our freshman QB. Also, what’s the point of having a bunch of 330 pound OL if not to run the ball on our short field after the muffed punt?

Back