• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What's the problem?

GrizLA

Last year it was the women's basketball program that sank to lowest levels in UM recent history due to injuries, illness or players leaving. They fired the coachl
This year, the Griz are beset by injuries in nearly every key position and there seems no way to right this ship so is it coaching? Are the practices so intense that getting hurt is just one of those things? Maybe, it is the coaching as others said but raising hopes to only dash them once the season opens is not a way for a program to find success. The last two games have mirrored each other in non flattering ways.
How many other programs are hit as bad every year besides Montana? I'm curious to know...

GrizLA said:
Last year it was the women's basketball program that sank to lowest levels in UM recent history due to injuries, illness or players leaving. They fired the coachl
This year, the Griz are beset by injuries in nearly every key position and there seems no way to right this ship so is it coaching? Are the practices so intense that getting hurt is just one of those things? Maybe, it is the coaching as others said but raising hopes to only dash them once the season opens is not a way for a program to find success. The last two games have mirrored each other in non flattering ways.
How many other programs are hit as bad every year besides Montana? I'm curious to know...

Great post....not really.

GrizLA said:

There is not another injury to any key player on any other team in the country. It's just a Montana thing......but we don't talk about injuries here.

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:

Surprised?

impact sport played at high speeds with violent collisions, big fast people who are changing directions on a dime....yea I wonder why there are injuries....read any team's fan boards and complaint is generally the same.....

retiredpopo said:
impact sport played at high speeds with violent collisions, big fast people who are changing directions on a dime....yea I wonder why there are injuries....read any team's fan boards and complaint is generally the same.....

Guess your not talking about our O-line.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
fanofzoo said:
retiredpopo said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: For sure.

kemajic said:
fanofzoo said:

Kem, if I am not mistaken, you played O-line for the Griz, right? If so, what is your opinion on why our O-line can't open holes in the running game, can't pull for sweeps and counter-plays, and don't seem to be able to effectively pass block?

It is my understanding the Griz practices are much more physical than probably 90% of others. They do a ton of live hitting and tackling. Hauck is a huge believer in being physical in practice to be physical in games. A lot of programs have stepped away a bit from the physicality in practices. Whether that has anything to do with more injuries or less, I have no idea.

HookedonGriz said:
It is my understanding the Griz practices are much more physical than probably 90% of others. They do a ton of live hitting and tackling. Hauck is a huge believer in being physical in practice to be physical in games. A lot of programs have stepped away a bit from the physicality in practices. Whether that has anything to do with more injuries or less, I have no idea.
Well especially this year too. If I remember correctly, I seem to remember Bobby saying they were gonna go extra hard this year in practice so they were in game shape after a long layoff. I'm fine with them going live in practice but I also think there's a cutoff point to where you need to tamp things down when guys start getting hurt in practice like Knight and Ostmo.

hunt-ducks said:
kemajic said:

Kem, if I am not mistaken, you played O-line for the Griz, right? If so, what is your opinion on why our O-line can't open holes in the running game, can't pull for sweeps and counter-plays, and don't seem to be able to effectively pass block?

Germer. Period.

Sorry to step in here Kem...

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:

So, you are saying that you have no real answer to a legitimate inquiry. I watched Coastal and Furman, bot good programs with sound fundamentals and they are not being overly hampered by injuries. So, is it the UM training? The constant pressure to be tough? Or just simply nothing. I am not being facetious. I am really curious about the UM programs of the recent years where men and women seem to be injury prone when compared to others. UW was hit hard by injuries and that is one reason UM won in Seattle, but there must be more.

hunt-ducks said:
kemajic said:

It starts with the offensive priorities. While BH likes a balanced attack and wants to soften up defenses with a running attack, we don't recruit OLmen to do that, mobile quick, finish blocks, knock people down. No, we recruit mammoth immobile guys that are better equipped for pass blocking. Our blocking schemes are mostly zone blocking, which more often than not wind up in a pillow fight cluttering up any potential holes. Push and shove, few pulls, traps, etc. that can truly create holes Good run blocking OLmen require athleticism more that size. In FCS we don't seem to be able to get both.

Actually our OL line does a decent job of pass blocking. But we have no support from our tiny RBs that are over powered and our undersize TEs there for their receiving and not for their blocking.

We're set up personnel-wise to be a passing team, but we keep trying to establish the run against all headwinds.

kemajic said:
hunt-ducks said:
It starts with the offensive priorities. While BH likes a balanced attack and wants to soften up defenses with a running attack, we don't recruit OLmen to do that, mobile quick, finish blocks, knock people down. No, we recruit mammoth immobile guys that are better equipped for pass blocking. Our blocking schemes are mostly zone blocking, which more often than not wind up in a pillow fight cluttering up any potential holes. Push and shove, few pulls, traps, etc. that can truly create holes Good run blocking OLmen require athleticism more that size. In FCS we don't seem to be able to get both.

Actually our OL line does a decent job of pass blocking. But we have no support from our tiny RBs that are over powered and our undersize TEs there for their receiving and not for their blocking.

We're set up personnel-wise to be a passing team, but we keep trying to establish the run against all headwinds.
:thumb:
If it didn't work the first time try it again...
If it did work try something else...

GrizLA said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
So, you are saying that you have no real answer to a legitimate inquiry. I watched Coastal and Furman, bot good programs with sound fundamentals and they are not being overly hampered by injuries. So, is it the UM training? The constant pressure to be tough? Or just simply nothing. I am not being facetious. I am really curious about the UM programs of the recent years where men and women seem to be injury prone when compared to others. UW was hit hard by injuries and that is one reason UM won in Seattle, but there must be more.

It's football and people hit each other, sometimes even hard.

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:

It's football and people hit each other, sometimes even hard.
Nice deflection but not an answer unless you believe Montana has an average injury situation in football and as discussed on the basketball site here, Women's bball. Yes people do hit each other and get hit but UM seems to be more prone than the average fcs team.

retiredpopo said:
prove that the griz have more injuries than most teams.
I have made an effort to find that out, but apparently fcs records for that don't exist but that just begs the question. Everyone is dancing around the issue, as perceived by local press and msg boards like egriz. But, the NCAA keeps records of the BCS schools and many have injuries, so there is that. Still, Coastal Car. has only one, so far, and their practices are open to the public mostly, and they seem to emphasize the rugby tackle as do others. I am not looking to point fingers but I'm perplexed about just why UM has as many injuries as they do. I never said they have the most, because I simply don't know. Maybe, the intensity level of practice could be toned down but the coaching staff at UM would have to want that and from what I've seen from Hauck it isn't in his nature. The womens' bball coach was fired largely because of injuries and it has been insinuated over intense pressure. So, I think it's worth discussing since UM is a potential playoff team that has been rated as high as 1 and now 11th or so and struggled with a hapless Dixie State and well coached Sac State/

GrizLA said:
retiredpopo said:
prove that the griz have more injuries than most teams.
I have made an effort to find that out, but apparently fcs records for that don't exist but that just begs the question. Everyone is dancing around the issue, as perceived by local press and msg boards like egriz. But, the NCAA keeps records of the BCS schools and many have injuries, so there is that. Still, Coastal Car. has only one, so far, and their practices are open to the public mostly, and they seem to emphasize the rugby tackle as do others. I am not looking to point fingers but I'm perplexed about just why UM has as many injuries as they do. I never said they have the most, because I simply don't know. Maybe, the intensity level of practice could be toned down but the coaching staff at UM would have to want that and from what I've seen from Hauck it isn't in his nature. The womens' bball coach was fired largely because of injuries and it has been insinuated over intense pressure. So, I think it's worth discussing since UM is a potential playoff team that has been rated as high as 1 and now 11th or so and struggled with a hapless Dixie State and well coached Sac State/

My understanding is the following:

* Knight’s injury was non-contact (I’m remembering that from the time it was discussed at length here….could be misremembering)
* Ostmo’s occurred in practice I believe
* Childs was injured in the game
* Harris was injured in-game during the Sac State contest
* Humphrey was injured in the game
* Sulser was injured in-game
* Babros and Alford appear to be “injury prone”, based on the number of times they go down in-game, but then return. Hasn’t been anything serious yet with either
* Robertson was an illness

Who am I missing? It doesn’t appear that most (or even many) of the injuries occurred in practice….but I could be missing other guys…those are the ones who hurt the most, IMHO.

Back