• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Oh, The Irony!

hunt-ducks

Who is our most dreaded opponent? The hated Bobcats, of course. What does the Bobcat offense excel at? Running the football, of course. How has the Bobcat offense owned our defense in the past three losses to them? Running the football, of course.

What is the base defense employed by our coaches? The 3-3-5 defense, of course. What is the weakness of the 3-3-5 defense? Stopping a great running offense, of course.

I'll leave it to you to connect the dots.......

AZGrizFan said:
Is this somehow breaking news?

With you, any valid football-related post is breaking news. You were firmly in-line defending the vaunted gimmicky 3-3-5 defense, so stop back-peddling. You are king of the obvious, and master of the retrospective. You couldn't make a prospective observation if your life depended on it......

I wish the main problem of this team was the 3-3-5, but the real problem is a very poor coaching staff. Its not going to get any better until the house is cleaned. Smarter coaches are needed, these stale old coaches need to move on. The AD is in for some trying times.

BillingsMafia said:
I wish the main problem of this team was the 3-3-5, but the real problem is a very poor coaching staff. Its not going to get any better until the house is cleaned. Smarter coaches are needed, these stale old coaches need to move on. The AD is in for some trying times.

I would love to see Bobby bring back Pflu for OC? Hell, Stitt would be a great OC as well? Rosey is terrible!
The 3-3-5 defense is great for the 1st couple of games, then it is predictable as teams watch films on how to counter it. I don't know much about defense alignments, but I do know, if what you are doing isn't working, change!

BillingsMafia said:
You might be the most unintelligent person on this board if you think that's the case. If we turn the season around, I don't wanna hear one word from you about how great of a coach Bobby is, even we make a run to the semis.

reinell30 said:
BillingsMafia said:

I would love to see Bobby bring back Pflu for OC? Hell, Stitt would be a great OC as well? Rosey is terrible!
The 3-3-5 defense is great for the 1st couple of games, then it is predictable as teams watch films on how to counter it. I don't know much about defense alignments, but I do know, if what you are doing isn't working, change!
Reinell, honest question. Did you think Rosey was a bad OC his first two seasons? I didn't like the play calling on Saturday, but generally speaking, I think Rosey's done a pretty good job as our OC. We'll see if it continues or if he can make adjustments but I am of the belief that he's a smart dude and won't be that bad with the play calling again.

reinell30 said:
BillingsMafia said:

I think I agree with this. Rosey does not have a track record of success and pease is known to be really abrasive. I think Rosey had a bit of luck coaching EWU under Wulff but I have not been impressed with what he did at WSU, Adams State or here at UM. I believe we could do way better as far as OC.
Also, could someone explain a bit about the philosophy of the 3-3-5 defense? Is it actually just a 3-4 defense, with SS like a hybrid LB/S that provides run support? The idea to counter these pass happy offenses like we seem to have in the BSC?

Griz til I die said:
reinell30 said:
Reinell, honest question. Did you think Rosey was a bad OC his first two seasons? I didn't like the play calling on Saturday, but generally speaking, I think Rosey's done a pretty good job as our OC. We'll see if it continues or if he can make adjustments but I am of the belief that he's a smart dude and won't be that bad with the play calling again.

Yes Sir! Our offense has been very predictable. I miss the old Bobby ball. I know we didn't/don't have the players for that ficticious ball and I am ole school, but since Pflu left, our offense has been dismal at best.

reinell30 said:
Griz til I die said:

Yes Sir! Our offense has been very predictable. I miss the old Bobby ball. I know we didn't/don't have the players for that ficticious ball and I am ole school, but since Pflu left, our offense has been dismal at best.

But you think Stitt would be a great OC?

HelenaHandBasket said:
reinell30 said:

Stitt had a wonderful offensive mind. His problem was, he isn't Head Coaching material. I think he would make a great OC if given the chance? If I am not mistaken, he was hired at another school just for his offensive mind?
Now I know all you can see and remember (Like most of us) are his bubble screens and his Fly Sweep, but I believe he could be much more valuable to an offense than that?

reinell30 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Stitt had a wonderful offensive mind. His problem was, he isn't Head Coaching material. I think he would make a great OC if given the chance? If I am not mistaken, he was hired at another school just for his offensive mind?
Now I know all you can see and remember (Like most of us) are his bubble screens and his Fly Sweep, but I believe he could be much more valuable to an offense than that?

Took Texas St one season to fire him as OC.

A good OC has a knack for using his personnel to the best of their ability given what the defensive scheme presented is ... I don't think Rosey isn't imaginative, nor do I think he is that predicable. I do think he has been limited given our QB and RB situation. This whole board would be screaming if the offense was turning it over every time we had the ball. As far as Stitt goes my personal opinion was that he was way to one dimensional and as HHB just mentioned it didn't take Texas St. long to figure out that if the Fly sweep is the only tool in the box it takes a long time to put the house up...

Look, let's dumb-down this discussion of the 3-3-5 defense. Yes, the 3-3-5 is just a variation off the 3-4 defense. But, in substituting a smaller coverage player for a LB, a team loses much physicality at the LOS. While all defenses (including the NFL teams) employ nickle and dime packages (even cover-zero defenses) on some snaps, my problem is using the 3-3-5, which everyone knows is not very effective against a running offense, as your base defense.

If you dudes think Montana should be an elite, Top 5 FCS football team, don't you think we should employ a defense which DICTATES the game, instead of employing a gimmicky "spread defense"? In other words, should we be emulating the elte teams like NDSU, SDSU, James Madison, Sam Houston, Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama......... or, should we emulate San Diego State and Syracuse???

http://dailyorange.com/2020/08/syracuses-new-3-3-5-defense-explained/

Not another plagiarism link. Just a quick little read on the 3-3-5. Though take it for what it's worth as they are just coaches and authors so the chances that they know more than those on this board are very slim.

reinell30 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I disagree (and I was a Stitt supporter). His offense had waaay too many bubble screens and fly sweeps....it also became very predictable. Worked very well against bottom tier teams, but not so well against middle of the pack and up teams.

hunt-ducks said:
AZGrizFan said:
Is this somehow breaking news?

With you, any valid football-related post is breaking news. You were firmly in-line defending the vaunted gimmicky 3-3-5 defense, so stop back-peddling. You are king of the obvious, and master of the retrospective. You couldn't make a prospective observation if your life depended on it......

Apparently you missed the multiple threads dissecting and discussion the pros and (mostly) cons of the 3-3-5 when Baer was hired....and my bashing of the hire, his track record and the system in general.

Then again, you probably DID miss them, because it was one of the multiple extended periods of time where you were banned. :lol: :lol: :lol:

In summary, you couldn't be more wrong about my "defense" of the defense.

Back