• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

If you thought times were dark on eGriz...

Griz til I die

DONOR
Just remember that it's always darker on the other side of the fence. Here's a snippet of some things you can expect to read on the Vandy's message board.

This is what I wrote to President green tonight again since I was ignored on Saturday.

“ Good evening,
I just wanted to follow up on my emails and message I sent both Terry and yourself. I know you have been inundated with a massive amount of messages I’m sure. However the email we got from the athletic dept today was confusing at best. Describing last weekends loss as frustrating but that we all need to rally around the student athletes and… coaches.
I absolutely agree we need to rally around these amazing student athletes and support them however these coaches have had 9 years to build a successful winning program and they haven’t a 30% winning record in 9 years wouldn’t be acceptable anywhere but Idaho. Accepting the status quo is unacceptable. We need to be brave and bold and make a statement that not only do we want to run a clean program and build quality individuals and athletes but we want to win as well. These talented young men have all the potential to be way more successful on the field than our record is showing but our coaching is holding us back.
I cannot tell you how many alumni have given up on athletics because we have no direction or plan to move forward. I can’t justify coming from Seattle every week and spend thousands of dollars to continue to watch this train wreck replay itself for 9 straight years anymore. I am one of hundreds if not thousands of Vandals who feel this way and most of them won’t come to games until a change is made. I can’t justify not supporting the athletes but to be honest this coach is the most disengaged HIGHEST paid coach in the FCS. We deserve better and more importantly our students and student athlete deserve better.
This article was a slap in the face to all of those who have been supporting for years and continue to support while we continue to accept the losing mentality and status quo.
If we stood up made a statement and were brave and bold and made the right move I would double my donations to Athletics overnight and do whatever I could to support a positive plan. Hundreds of others would too that have been disengaged since the drop down.
However they aren’t going to do it if all they get is silence like it’s falling on deaf ears.
Respectfully,
Jonathan
A concerned Vandal
10 yr season ticket holder and
20 yr fan and alum

They've also begun to put together a list of names they would like to see as their new head coach, and Petrino hasn't even been fired yet (he better be at the end of the season though). I'll attach the link to their board if you feel like venturing over there to take a look.
https://247sports.com/college/idaho/board/vandal-football-103901/

Petrino leaving? Cold day in hell when that happens. Look at his contract. Air tight, costs a major fortune to buy him out. He makes a pickup truck bed full of money just to show up. The only way Idaho is going to get a new HC is when Petrino assumes room temperature.

3-7-77 said:
Petrino leaving? Cold day in hell when that happens. Look at his contract. Air tight, costs a major fortune to buy him out. He makes a pickup truck bed full of money just to show up. The only way Idaho is going to get a new HC is when Petrino assumes room temperature.
Isn’t he nearing the end of his contract though?

As a UI graduate (sssshhhhhh, I don't tell anyone that, so keep it under your hat) I find this email both hilarious and incredulous. I find it incredible that ANYONE would travel from Seattle to Moscow for ONE Vandull game, let alone for NINE straight years of hellish existence.

Couldn't happen to a nicer university.

Disclaimer: I only attended Idaho because they had a Navy ROTC command I could be attached to as an active duty OC attending college. So get off my back, dammit.

AZGrizFan said:
As a UI graduate (sssshhhhhh, I don't tell anyone that, so keep it under your hat) I find this email both hilarious and incredulous. I find it incredible that ANYONE would travel from Seattle to Moscow for ONE Vandull game, let alone for NINE straight years of hellish existence.

Disclaimer: I only attended Idaho because they had a Navy ROTC command I could be attached to as an active duty OC attending college. So get off my back, dammit.

Don't feel bad AZ, lots of people make poor choices sometimes in their lives. Look how many go to msu! :shock:

MikeyGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Don't feel bad AZ, lots of people make poor choices sometimes in their lives. Look how many go to msu! :shock:

Listen, man. I TRIED to get into UW, but they wouldn't take me! :D :D :D :D I wasn't QUITE Pac-12 material....So, in the immortal words of Joel Goodsen from Risky Business....."looks like it's University of Idaho!"

It has to be hard. They follow BSU up and fall flat when the Broncos have had success and then have to fall back down to the "lowly" Big Sky and expect to dominate as they have been playing in the FBS. They move back down and continue to get their asses kicked. Tough existence.

Yeah, just spit ballin' here, but the week after giving up 71 -- SEVENTY ONE!!! -- to your nearest rivals may not be the best time to send an email asking for fan support.

Griz til I die said:
3-7-77 said:
Isn’t he nearing the end of his contract though?

I did a little surfing and found that his contracts have a extension each time, and a healthy raise. I don't have the computer to do a detailed search, and definitely don't have the skill to conduct one. Petrino, or whomever does his negotiating, has him chiseled on Mt. Rushmore. As I recall, his buyout is around $20 million. The administration in Moscow seems to just approve his renewals. Highest paid FCS head coach. Unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are stuck with him. Better for the Griz thataway.

"Petrino's contract is an amendment to his current deal and will run through June 30, 2022. His previous agreement was set to expire Dec. 30, 2020. Petrino will earn a one-year extension if he is not in breach of contract by July 1, 2018. The new contract also calls for an automatic one-year extension for each season with eight or more wins."

https://govandals.com/news/2017/10/19/football-contract-extensions-approved-for-petrino-verlin.aspx#:~:text=LEWISTON%2C%20Idaho-%20The%20Idaho%20State%20Board%20of%20Education,agreement%20was%20set%20to%20expire%20Dec.%2030%2C%202020.

Well as an Idaho alumni, he won't get an automatic extension, but why they keep renewing the contract is beyond me. When they were in rust belt, they couldn't even get to 83 scholarship football players. Now they can't recruit well and they are still delusional about getting an invite to the mountain west or pac 12. Only way the mountain west would pick them up is to give UNLV a chance to win one game a year.

MikeyGriz said:
"Petrino's contract is an amendment to his current deal and will run through June 30, 2022. His previous agreement was set to expire Dec. 30, 2020. Petrino will earn a one-year extension if he is not in breach of contract by July 1, 2018. The new contract also calls for an automatic one-year extension for each season with eight or more wins."

https://govandals.com/news/2017/10/19/football-contract-extensions-approved-for-petrino-verlin.aspx#:~:text=LEWISTON%2C%20Idaho-%20The%20Idaho%20State%20Board%20of%20Education,agreement%20was%20set%20to%20expire%20Dec.%2030%2C%202020.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Looks like they're safe on that. Again.

AZGrizFan said:
MikeyGriz said:

Actively employed with a coaching record of 32–63 (.337), Petrino should be teaching graduate level classes on larceny.

Ursa Major said:
AZGrizFan said:

Actively employed with a coaching record of 32–63 (.337), Petrino should be teaching graduate level classes on larceny.

If his buyout truly is $20 mil, he should be teaching doctorate level classes... :? :? :?

With all the cash he's making and with his record, he could at the very least buy a round of beer. Steal a page from PSU's playback coach!

putter said:
It has to be hard. They follow BSU up and fall flat when the Broncos have had success and then have to fall back down to the "lowly" Big Sky and expect to dominate as they have been playing in the FBS. They move back down and continue to get their asses kicked. Tough existence.

Good.

Back