• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scrap the 3-3-5 for Griz/Cat Game

hunt-ducks

I realize that this game is far into the future, but I believe that the defensive coaches should be installing the following defense in preparation for this game. They can work-on this alignment some each practice until game-time.

The Griz need to utilize a 3-4-4 defense versus the Bobcats. Our linebackers are the strongest part of our defense, and putting 4 of them on the field in this game will give us the best chance to stop the solid Bobcat running game. I would bench Fouch, and insert Braxton Hill at LB. Hill is very strong against the run. Along with Robertson being very strong against the run, it would give us 7-8 defenders near the LOS to help stop their running attack.

I welcome any comments to this suggestion. I look forward to having a thread which avoids hi-jacking by the usual meat heads, but am skeptical that this will occur.

In summary, if Bobby chooses to keep the 3-3-5 in place for the Cat game, I believe we will see the following results:

Cats run for 300+ yards
Ifanse runs for 160+ yards
Robby Hauck has his usual 12 tackles from his free safety position

I swear, you insert a passive-aggressive statement like the one above, then wonder why people shit all over you. Why can't you just make your FOOTBALL statement and leave it at that?

That being said, we had 8 guys in the box virtually the entire game against Idaho (a running team). It worked beautifully. ALL of our safeties are better against the run than the pass and almost all of them (with exception of RH) are over 200 lbs and hit like mules. Personally I'm fine with putting Onu & Ford on islands with the WR's and letting Robby, Robertson, Graves, Fouch, et al focus on the running game. We have better corners than we've had in YEARS, and can finally afford to have some defenders stacking the box to snuff out the running game. We've got BIGGER corners & safeties than we've ever had (Joe, Cotton, Onu, Ford) all at or over 200 lbs, with only Walker being a bit thinner....we've got more bulk in the defensive backfield than we've had in quite some time....I don't know that they need to make drastic changes to the system...just two cents from a pedestrian fan who's never watched 30 seconds of practice.

AZGrizFan said:
I swear, you insert a passive-aggressive statement like the one above, then wonder why people shit all over you. Why can't you just make your FOOTBALL statement and leave it at that?

That being said, we had 8 guys in the box virtually the entire game against Idaho (a running team). It worked beautifully. ALL of our safeties are better against the run than the pass and almost all of them (with exception of RH) are over 200 lbs and hit like mules. Personally I'm fine with putting Onu & Ford on islands with the WR's and letting Robby, Robertson, Graves, Fouch, et al focus on the running game. We have better corners than we've had in YEARS, and can finally afford to have some defenders stacking the box to snuff out the running game. We've got BIGGER corners & safeties than we've ever had (Joe, Cotton, Onu, Ford) all at or over 200 lbs, with only Walker being a bit thinner....we've got more bulk in the defensive backfield than we've had in quite some time....I don't know that they need to make drastic changes to the system...just two cents from a pedestrian fan who's never watched 30 seconds of practice.

I do it to remind the good posters and lurkers who don't post because of people like you and your buddies. If you don't like my "passive aggressive" reference, then stop being an A-hole, and remove your obsession with me from your mind that I occupy, and just make an attempt at discussing football. But be careful, or The Squad will quickly turn on you for being normal.

hunt-ducks said:
I welcome any comments to this suggestion. I look forward to having a thread which avoids hi-jacking by the usual meat heads, but am skeptical that this will occur.

Good God. "welcome any comments" turned into "meat heads" within one line. :roll:

AZGrizFan said:

There is no way that Fouch is as effective at stopping the Bobcat running game as Hill. And, using your Alma Mater as an example for the 3-3-5 stopping a running game is a joke. Hell, Dixie State could stop the Vandal running game. I respect your opinion, as you actually talked football for a change, but do not agree with your observations. As I stated in my original post, if we try to stop the Cats by moving our 5 defensive backs up to the line, they will skewer us just like they have for three years! Stupidity is doing the same thing over-and-over again, and expecting a different result.

Yukon said:
hunt-ducks said:

Good God. "welcome any comments" turned into "meat heads" within one line. :roll:

Just the facts, and you can't dispute it.

hunt-ducks said:
I realize that this game is far into the future, but I believe that the defensive coaches should be installing the following defense in preparation for this game. They can work-on this alignment some each practice until game-time.

The Griz need to utilize a 3-4-4 defense versus the Bobcats. Our linebackers are the strongest part of our defense, and putting 4 of them on the field in this game will give us the best chance to stop the solid Bobcat running game. I would bench Fouch, and insert Braxton Hill at LB. Hill is very strong against the run. Along with Robertson being very strong against the run, it would give us 7-8 defenders near the LOS to help stop their running attack.

In summary, if Bobby chooses to keep the 3-3-5 in place for the Cat game, I believe we will see the following results:

Cats run for 300+ yards

I hate this idea. Stupid.

CDAGRIZ said:
hunt-ducks said:

Cats run for 300+ yards

That's why you're a pedestrian fan and never talk football

hunt-ducks said:
AZGrizFan said:

There is no way that Fouch is as effective at stopping the Bobcat running game as Hill. And, using your Alma Mater as an example for the 3-3-5 stopping a running game is a joke. Hell, Dixie State could stop the Vandal running game. I respect your opinion, as you actually talked football for a change, but do not agree with your observations. As I stated in my original post, if we try to stop the Cats by moving our 5 defensive backs up to the line, they will skewer us just like they have for three years! Stupidity is doing the same thing over-and-over again, and expecting a different result.

Idaho was averaging right at 200 ypg (2nd in conference) before the Griz game. They have 18 rushing TD's (2nd in the conference). They averaged 5 ypc (also 2nd in conference) prior to the Griz game. So, apparently they were able to run on SOMEBODY. They rushed for 6.3ypc against UCD. 6.1 ypc against Portland State. They had more yards on fewer carries against Oregon State. They had a higher YPC average against Indiana than against us. We held them to 97 yards on 47 attempts. a 2.1ypc average. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your latest rant--I know you're averse to actual statistics...

Only problem with the 3-4-4 is that the Cats can actually pass this year. The QB is not that bad, recievers are a work in progress. Hill is not good in coverage and they run a lot of short routes where LB would be in pass coverage.

The 3-3-5 is great against bottom feeder- mediocre teams. That defense is like the Weber or UND offense, good for a few trick plays and that’s about all you’ll get.

EverettGriz said:
I propose we scrap ducks and replace him with a BAND aid.

I knew it would be less than an hour until you hi-jacked yet another good football thread. Maybe go occupy something downtown, and leave us to discuss football.

RayWill said:
Only problem with the 3-4-4 is that the Cats can actually pass this year. The QB is not that bad, recievers are a work in progress. Hill is not good in coverage and they run a lot of short routes where LB would be in pass coverage.

hunt-ducks said:
CDAGRIZ said:

No, it’s just a dumb idea. You’ve had it out for our base defense since the beginning of the season and would like nothing more than to see it fail so you can score fake internet points in your mind. Hating popular things isn’t a personality trait. You’re not a coach. You never will be. Grow up.

If, by chance, you are who I suspect you are, it might be time to reevaluate things.

The cats have three guys who can catch passes. They have a QB now who can throw the ball, not real accurate, but better then any past QB since McGee. McCutheon is the main receiver and InFanse out of the backfield. Cats primarily run the ball. McKay, their QB is mobile and can run. Elliot runs along with the main threat InFanse. He is a handful to tackle as most Griz LB's remember. Ford will have a field day in this game if we can stop the run? 3-3-5, 3-4-4 or 5-3-3 what ever works this time!

hunt-ducks said:
RayWill said:

If we are able to force them to pass more than they want to, I think we win the game. Not sure they can beat us passing the ball if they can't run the ball to set-up the pass. As AZ said, our two CBs are capable of playing man coverage, and I believe that they will be fine on an island.

As for Hill being weak in coverage, not sure why you think that. I have not seen enough of him to make that observation.

CDAGRIZ said:
hunt-ducks said:

No, it’s just a dumb idea. You’ve had it out for our base defense since the beginning of the season and would like nothing more than to see it fail so you can score fake internet points in your mind. Hating popular things isn’t a personality trait. You’re not a coach. You never will be. Grow up.

If, by chance, you are who I suspect you are, it might be time to reevaluate things.

Popular things??? You mean like the vaunted 3-3-5 defense that only pretender college defenses utilize? And you are pedestrian, and never will be anything but. You've hi-jacked more football threads than the 911 Al-Qaeda team.

hunt-ducks said:
EverettGriz said:
I propose we scrap ducks and replace him with a BAND aid.

I knew it would be less than an hour until you hi-jacked yet another good football thread. Maybe go occupy something downtown, and leave us to discuss football.

No, see, a "good football thread" is one in which Griz-24 or Brint posts in. On the other hand, one you start with an idea so ridiculous and preposterous doesn't deserve an X's and O's response.

hunt-ducks said:
AZGrizFan said:

Hunt-dix has such a vast knowledge of UM football that he doesn’t even realize that Fouch may have already lost his starting position:
Senior safety Gavin Robertson had five tackles as he made his first start since Sept. 11, while sophomore safety TraJon Cotton got his first start. Sophomores Nash Fouch and Garrett Graves both came off the bench after being regular starters recently.
Sounds like a great idea, H-dix: Let’s put in a sub from another position for a player already on the bench.
With his high Football ID, he clearly knows more than the pedestrian fan and we should just take his word for it. :lol:

Back