• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best Griz Defense Ever!

Best Defense Ever & Why?

Votes: 8 12.1%

Votes: 19 28.8%

Votes: 39 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dillon

There are many to choose from but obviously picked the two National Championship runs. What Say You!

The 2001 team won the National Championship largely on their defense.
The 2021 team has a really good defense, good enough to win the Natty? We will see!
Go Griz!

Difficult choices. Really love this 2021 squad.

However I had to choose 1995. They were very solid but that’s all, until the playoffs. They were spectacular in all those games and shown in a hostile Marshall stadium that nobody could push us around. They really rose to the occasion at playoff time!

If I had 3 votes I’d vote for all three. With just one I pick 1995

The '95 D went on a historic playoff run and brought home the natty. They get my vote until another D can do something similar. The 2021 D is amazing and is capable of doing just that. It will be fun to watch.

The 2021 defense has done it all year so far. The 1995 defense got it together in the playoffs and particularly the NC game. But they also benefited from an outstanding offense that could keep them off the field and they gave up a lot of points during the season. A luxury this 2021 defense has yet to enjoy. Looking at fundamentals, this 2021 defense looks better to me. Better than any I've seen. BH said the same thing in the presser.

kemajic said:
The 2021 defense has done it all year so far. The 1995 defense got it together in the playoffs and particularly the NC game. But they also benefited from an outstanding offense that could keep them off the field and they gave up a lot of points during the season. A luxury this 2021 defense has yet to enjoy. Looking at fundamentals, this 2021 defense looks better to me. Better than any I've seen. BH said the same thing in the presser.

I would agree. And I'll eat a big plate of crow as I was NOT a fan of the Baer hire or his scheme three years ago. This D is just a damned MACHINE. Love watching them play.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

And I'll eat a big plate of crow as I was NOT a fan of the Baer hire or his scheme three years ago.
Elegantly understated.

When at full strength, the 21 Griz defense is the best Griz defense I have witnessed in 35 years of watching Griz football.

AKGriz72 said:
When at full strength, the 21 Griz defense is the best Griz defense I have witnessed in 35 years of watching Griz football.
And I go back 60 with the same observation.

GottaluvGriz said:
The 2021 team has a really good defense, good enough to win the Natty? We will see!
Go Griz!

Based my vote on that. Go Griz

fanofzoo said:
GottaluvGriz said:
Go Griz!
Oddly enough, the Griz defense was also the difference in the 1995 Nattie . The Griz had racked up big, big numbers for the season, and into the playoff. Not so the game at Marshall. But the D held Marshall to their lowest (or 2nd lowest, I'm not totally sure) score for the year. The late drive heroics by DD and the offense was only possible because the D had kept them in reach.

IdaGriz01 said:
fanofzoo said:
Oddly enough, the Griz defense was also the difference in the 1995 Nattie . The Griz had racked up big, big numbers for the season, and into the playoff. Not so the game at Marshall. But the D held Marshall to their lowest (or 2nd lowest, I'm not totally sure) score for the year. The late drive heroics by DD and the offense was only possible because the D had kept them in reach.

Don’t forget our guys drop Marshall’s QB Pennington for a safety too. From the first playoff game through the end the 1995 defense was stellar. Hope the 2021 version can match their regular season phenomenal performance!

Grizzlies1982 said:
Don’t forget our guys drop Marshall’s QB Pennington for a safety too. From the first playoff game through the end the 1995 defense was stellar. Hope the 2021 version can match their regular season phenomenal performance!
Yep. That's the D ... and the points were the difference in the game. Those of us who were there like to take a little credit (justified or not :) ). Marshall was dumb enough to put all the Griz tickets more or less together and we pretty much screamed our heads off all the way. Even the Marshall folks (some gave us their bottle of champagne later) said we were a distraction to their offense. One of our many cherished memories of Griz football.

Grizzlies1982 said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Final score difference being two points - 22 to 20

Ha ha ha ha ha ha no.

95 hands down 2001 is a very distant second place. The 2007 team had a better defense than this year maybe 2009

2007 team would have won another NC if we had a QB. Hauck never has marginally good QBs he has very average game managers.

FCS was a lot better back then top to bottom. The Big Sky is a weak conference but the teams over all were better back in the 90s now all we have is 1 or 2 good teams and the rest like Idaho, No Colorado, Southern Utah and Montana State.

Special H said:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha no.

95 hands down 2001 is a very distant second place. The 2007 team had a better defense than this year maybe 2009

2007 team would have won another NC if we had a QB. Hauck never has marginally good QBs he has very average game managers.

FCS was a lot better back then top to bottom. The Big Sky is a weak conference but the teams over all were better back in the 90s now all we have is 1 or 2 good teams and the rest like Idaho, No Colorado, Southern Utah and Montana State.
Didn't the judge tell you not to post here anymore, Alpo?

I loved watching the 2001 Griz. The 07-09 Griz were also very good defensively, as was the 2011 squad. Tripp, Kanongataa and coyle as well as wagenman and Tyrone Holmes were all on the same team at one time right? Yet this years team is top to bottom the best I’ve witnessed. Also, as some have pointed out, our offense has done the defense very few favors, yet the defense was still the conferences best scoring defense and one of the best scoring defenses in the country despite the offensive deficiencies. Just a very impressive group.

Special H said:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha no.

Yes. That's why there's 5 teams in the playoffs and 4 were ranked in the top 10. Because the conference is weak. :roll: :roll:

Latest posts

Back