• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU Offense?

fltheadgriz

Something is not right about EWU and their vaunted offense....let me explain.
UNI held EWU to 19 points in a loss for UNI. That is the lowest point total that EWU has had in a win almost by a 2 to 1 margin. their lowest amount of points they totaled in a win before this game was against the Griz with 34 points.
UNI does not have the type of vaunted defense that the Griz has so one of two three things happened:
1) EWU was totally overlooking UNI and their heart was not in the game
2) The rain and weather causes EWU not to have a good offense
3) EWU is running out of gas on their offense and their horses are not there anymore.

They do not seem to be the same high-powered offense that they were at the beginning through the mid of the season.

I will also add that I thought that I saw a little hitch in EB3's giddyup towards the end of the game.

Having an OC bail late in the season should tell you everything you need to know...there is a shit show going on internally. Good news for them is they only have one more game and they can regroup for next year.

The OP is basing this off one game? Did you watch the PSU and Davis games to end the year? Easterns offense is just fine…we played a really good defense yesterday in wet, rainy, cold conditions…playoff football is never easy, and EWU just won against a decent team in weather conditions that favored UNI…EWU has lost 2 games all year by a combined 4 points, they will be ready to go Friday for the Griz…

retiredpopo said:
Having an OC bail late in the season should tell you everything you need to know...there is a shit show going on internally. Good news for them is they only have one more game and they can regroup for next year.

You think the OC just bailed, lol…. He made two calls which really hurt us in the Weber and MSU games….EWU is 3-0 since the OC change….two of those wins against playoff teams. Your hatred for EWU is hilarious

marceagfan5 said:
retiredpopo said:

You think the OC just bailed, lol…. He made two calls which really hurt us in the Weber and MSU games….EWU is 3-0 since the OC change….two of those wins against playoff teams. Your hatred for EWU is hilarious

ewu got extremely lucky yesterday and anyone watching or listening to the game has to agree. I don't hate ewu per se..I have been to several games and I don't even hate the red field. My family in Liberty lake has season tickets so we usually go over there a couple times a season to the games. If there was so much strife over just 2 calls in 2 games you have a problem that runs deeper than the guy who walked away....we saw what UCD did and UNI should have won so take that is for what it is worth. EB is like 13-9 on the road and will be 13-10 after Friday.

This can only be pinned on one person and one person only….Kent Haslam!

I’m almost positive that Kent is the reason their OC took off earlier this year. He is also the reason it rained yesterday and made it tough to score more than 20 points. He is also the reason there were only 3000 fans in the stands.

Damnit if I didn’t know any better I’m now quite positive he’s the driving force behind their gateway project never getting off the ground!

HookedonGriz said:

I’m almost positive that Kent is the reason their OC took off earlier this year. He is also the reason it rained yesterday and made it tough to score more than 20 points. He is also the reason there were only 3000 fans in the stands.

Damnit if I didn’t know any better I’m now quite positive he’s the driving force behind their gateway project never getting off the ground!

I laughed pretty hard, well done

marceagfan5 said:
HookedonGriz said:

I laughed pretty hard, well done

😜

fltheadgriz said:
UNI held EWU to 19 points in a loss for UNI. That is the lowest point total that EWU has had in a win almost by a 2 to 1 margin. their lowest amount of points they totaled in a win before this game was against the Griz with 34 points.
UNI does not have the type of vaunted defense that the Griz has so one of two three things happened:
3) EWU is running out of gas on their offense and their horses are not there anymore.

They do not seem to be the same high-powered offense that they were at the beginning through the mid of the season.

I will also add that I thought that I saw a little hitch in EB3's giddyup towards the end of the game.
There is often a lot of talk about how "high octane" offenses start to bog down during play-off football and it's often attributed to the weather. There is a lot of truth in that but there is also the fact that each week an offense plays gives defenses and DC that much more film/opportunity to study their tendencies and game plan against them. All offenses have things they like to do and things they don't and all of them have "tells" that tip their hand as to what they want to do. So things that worked in September might not in December.
Defenses have tendencies too, of course, but D is much more reactive so adjustments tend to be easier.

marceagfan5 said:
retiredpopo said:

I wear that like a badge of honour. Charter member since 1987. ;)

SaskGriz said:
fltheadgriz said:

There is often a lot of talk about how "high octane" offenses start to bog down during play-off football and it's often attributed to the weather. There is a lot of truth in that but there is also the fact that each week an offense plays gives defenses and DC that much more film/opportunity to study their tendencies and game plan against them. All offenses have things they like to do and things they don't and all of them have "tells" that tip their hand as to what they want to do. So things that worked in September might not in December.
Defenses have tendencies too, of course, but D is much more reactive so adjustments tend to be easier.

I guess I will put it this way
EB3 was smiling during the whole game against the Griz, even when he got tackled hard, he got up and there was his smile, which is obviously part of his swagger.
The past couple of games yes he has smiled but not near as much. The swagger was not there for EB3 but a little but of concern and some confusion.

Anyone who believes Easterns offense is going bad is only kidding themselves! Eastern will come in Friday with their hair on fire and be pumped to the moon! Our defense has to shut them down and our Offense has to show up! EW offense is loaded with all their starters back. Going to be a game!

marceagfan5 said:
retiredpopo said:

Ha! Definitely not a shit show if Eastern is firing coaches mid season over two bad calls. :lol:

I wonder if we'll have Justin Ford shadow TLJ like he did against McCutcheon. Might still cause trouble as EWU has 3 or 4 WRs better than MSU's #2 receiver.

I also think if you're counting on EWU's offense to be sputtering, you're gonna be disappointed. We need to hammer EB and take his will to play away like we did in 2019. If we can't, it might be a long night.

HookedonGriz said:

:clap: :lol: KH fingerprints all over those failures.

I wonder if they will start with keeping a back in to pass protect? Worked in the second half of the last game. Secondary needs a big game

putter said:
I wonder if they will start with keeping a back in to pass protect? Worked in the second half of the last game. Secondary needs a big game

I am curious to see what changes the Griz make to their pass rush

HelenaHandBasket said:
putter said:

I am curious to see what changes the Griz make to their pass rush

The limited part of the game I watched, Ew-U was successful with some screen plays. Gotta be on the coaches radar.

Thinking their offense is pedestrian is a recipe for failure. They have weapons and will be pumped to play on Friday. Give the defenses for Weber, MSU and UNI for coming in with game plans and execution to limit explosive plays.

Part of the limitation with our defense has been relying on the blitz so we sacrifice coverage bodies to bring blitzes. It worked to put pressure on EB the first round, but the second half adjustments relied on getting it out quicker and neutralizing the rush. We were missing a few pieces that first game on both sides of the ball. They were missing a big piece at the end of the game. I believe both teams will make some big adjustments to their plan but the identity will be the same and it will be a slugfest. I think we underestimated their defense that first game, but we still scored points. Bring on Friday.

Back