• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

State Of Origin- Griz Style

SaskGriz

DONOR
In Australia they have an annual series of rugby league matches between the states of Queensland and New South Wales. Players play for whichever State they were born in regardless of where they play professionally. I thought it might be a fun way to fill some of the dead time before Spring Camp with a look at what this might look like with Griz football players.

I ended up with 8 teams; Montana, California, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, West of the Mississippi, East of the Mississippi, and None of the Above* name pending (Alaska, Hawaii, Canada).

Like my "Best to Wear the Number" List, I only used players from the 1985 season onward because that's all I know first hand.

I used a 4-3 Defense and 21 personnel on offense but adjusted a couple of teams because they didn't fit. I tried to stick to players who actually saw the field but had to cheat in a few cases to fill rosters; ex. Marcus Hee on None of the Above. I also moved some linemen around but tried to stay true to reality. Some teams don't have a kicker but hell how hard can that be. ;)

There were many surprises but three of them that stuck out were; we have had some absolute studs from Colorado and I could make up a defense but not an offense. We have never had a corner back from Idaho and only three safeties so they were a no go. And third we've only had 7 players from the State of Utah since 1985 and the only three defensive players are all currently with the team (Alford, Johansen, and Soe).

I'll post a new team each day and start at the bottom of list with NONE OF THE ABOVE

WR : Raul Pacheco,
WR: Shannon Cabunoc
WR: Kealan White, Mike Wilson

T: Larry Clarkson, Kordell Pillans
T: Kamakana Kaimuloa
G: James White, Kukila Lincoln
G: Samson Kaleikini
C: Joe Martin, Pat Mosher

QB: Brian Ah-Yat, Trent McKinney
RB: Reggie Bradshaw, Jason DeHoyos
RB: Yohance Humphrey

DE: Mike Stadnyk
DT: Kelly Bryant, Flint McCullough
DT: Tonga Takai, Via Samifua
DE: Wade Thoemmes
LB: Soane Vaohea
LB: Jacob Yoro
LB: Eric Lono
CB: Cody Von Appen
CB: Randyn Akiona
S: Joseph Awong
S: Marcus Hee

P/K Brody McKnight
Returner: Shannon Cabunoc

Hell, that's not a bad "No Name" team! Loved Tonga, nice QB's and RB's (Ah-Yat and Humphrey gonna be a hard combo to beat!)

I’m late to this, but these are cool as shit, Sask. thank you.

Also, man I miss that Hawaii connection.

Proud Griz Man said:
Very nice research Sask. Gives mention to several less-recognized names.

Yes, and many names I’ve forgotten over the years, dredged back up the memories!

Thanks, Sask. What’s your NEXT move to get us through the rest of the offseason?

Back