• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Conference Realignment: Here we go again

AZGrizFan

DONOR
The latest rumor: San Diego State and Boise State from the MWC to the Big 12. That would technically open up two slots in the MWC....

I've heard that those 2 want out but all the initial rumors made it sound like it wouldn't happen until after Texas and OU left for the SEC. Are things suddenly moving quicker?

Griz til I die said:
I've heard that those 2 want out but all the initial rumors made it sound like it wouldn't happen until after Texas and OU left for the SEC. Are things suddenly moving quicker?

I'm not sure of the timeline, but my understanding was Texas & OK have already been replaced by UCF, Cincinnati, Houston and BYU, getting them back up to an ACTUAL 12 teams...not sure why they'd need SDSU and Boise State at this point.

Here was San Diego State's pitch back in 2016.... https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/10/14/13291382/sdsu-big-12-expansion-pitch

To me it would make a lot of sense for the Big 12 to add Boise State and San Diego State. It would be a no brainer for those schools not to join if offered the opportunity.

westsider said:
PLEASE pick us and be done with small ball and the breeding ground for the transfer portal.

Yes! I really want the Griz to play in the Jimmy Kimmel bowl!

Griz2k said:
westsider said:
PLEASE pick us and be done with small ball and the breeding ground for the transfer portal.

Agreed! Why even discuss a move up until a better system is in place that includes playoffs! Poinsettia bowl sounds like bull shit!🙃

Why the hell does the Big 12 want a conference that spans all the way from San Diego, CA to Orlando, FL? That sounds like shit traveling, especially for Basketball and other sports. You could at least get around it in football by splitting them into divisions. In fact, here's a better question. Why won't the PAC 12 take SDSU and BSU? That's obviously a much better fit.

westsider said:

Have you seen the transfer portal entries from lower major teams like Wyoming, Hawaii, Colorado State, etc.? It is scary how they will have to reload.

westsider said:

There are experts on this board who maintain FBS and FCS schools benefit equally from the portal.

grizrgood said:
Griz2k said:

Agreed! Why even discuss a move up until a better system is in place that includes playoffs! Poinsettia bowl sounds like bull shit!🙃

FCS is going to continue to get more and more watered down, look at the year end polls and schools left for 2022:

1 North Dakota State (24)
2 Montana State
3 X James Madison - FBS
4 X Sam Houston - FBS
5 South Dakota State
6 Montana
7 East Tennessee State
8 Villanova
9 Eastern Washington
10 Kennesaw State
11 Sacramento State
12 UT Martin
13 UIW
14 Missouri State
15 Southeastern Louisiana
16 UC Davis
17 Southern Illinois
18 Stephen F. Austin
19 Jackson State – Potential playoffs, Celebration Bowl
20 South Dakota
21 Princeton – No playoffs
22 Holy Cross
23 Dartmouth – No playoffs
24 Florida A&M – Potential playoffs, Celebration Bowl
25 Northern Iowa

That's a total of six teams of the Top 25 "best" that won't be in the playoffs in 2022. Add in future schedules:

Montana Future Schedules: https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/montana/

What's the most attractive game on that schedule? South Dakota next year? No Griz fan is looking forward to Butler, Morehead State, Western Carolina, Dixie State. How about future schedules for Wyoming as a reasonable MWC comparison?

Wyoming Future Schedule: https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/wyoming/

This list includes Illinois, BYU, Texas Tech, Texas, App State, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, Cal, Arizona as a starting point. FCS playoffs averaged just over 8k per game. Ratings for the two bowl games in Frisco were also similar to that of the FCS title game and those games were on a Tuesday or Thursday.

More money, better opponents, more exposure, better athletes, better product. How can people continue to think that these playoffs are where we need to be, or more importantly that these playoffs will continue to matter? 1995, 2001 were incredible years and good for the University. Montana fans care more than about any other FCS program out there, but FCS isn't where this University belongs.

Spanky2 said:
westsider said:

There are experts on this board who maintain FBS and FCS schools benefit equally from the portal.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Literally not a single person has said that.

GrizPDX said:
grizrgood said:

FCS is going to continue to get more and more watered down, look at the year end polls and schools left for 2022:

2 Montana State
3 X James Madison - FBS
4 X Sam Houston - FBS
5 South Dakota State
6 Montana
7 East Tennessee State
8 Villanova
9 Eastern Washington
10 Kennesaw State
11 Sacramento State
12 UT Martin
13 UIW
14 Missouri State
16 UC Davis
17 Southern Illinois
18 Stephen F. Austin
20 South Dakota
22 Holy Cross
25 Northern Iowa

That's a total of six teams of the Top 25 "best" that won't be in the playoffs in 2022. Add in future schedules:

What's the most attractive game on that schedule? South Dakota next year? No Griz fan is looking forward to Butler, Morehead State, Western Carolina, Dixie State. How about future schedules for Wyoming as a reasonable MWC comparison?

This list includes Illinois, BYU, Texas Tech, Texas, App State, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, Cal, Arizona as a starting point. FCS playoffs averaged just over 8k per game. Ratings for the two bowl games in Frisco were also similar to that of the FCS title game and those games were on a Tuesday or Thursday.

More money, better opponents, more exposure, better athletes, better product. How can people continue to think that these playoffs are where we need to be, or more importantly that these playoffs will continue to matter? 1995, 2001 were incredible years and good for the University. Montana fans care more than about any other FCS program out there, but FCS isn't where this University belongs.

Preach. :clap: :clap: :clap:

The same people who don't want to move up because "playoffs" are usually first in line to bitch about the weakness of nonconference (hell, even conference) opponents and how the ticket prices aren't worth the competition level...

The problem with you move up people is that you cannot admit that there is nothing more exciting than a road trip to Greeley.

AZGrizFan said:
GrizPDX said:

2 Montana State
3 X James Madison - FBS
4 X Sam Houston - FBS
5 South Dakota State
6 Montana
7 East Tennessee State
8 Villanova
9 Eastern Washington
10 Kennesaw State
11 Sacramento State
12 UT Martin
13 UIW
14 Missouri State
16 UC Davis
17 Southern Illinois
18 Stephen F. Austin
20 South Dakota
22 Holy Cross
25 Northern Iowa

The same people who don't want to move up because "playoffs" are usually first in line to bitch about the weakness of nonconference (hell, even conference) opponents and how the ticket prices aren't worth the competition level...
AZ, let's put the regular season aside for a minute. I agree, that the FBS regular season as whole is so much more attractive than the FCS regular season. Tell me this though, would you personally enjoy watching the Griz play in the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl or Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, or the FCS Playoffs? Because I totally agree with you that getting to play Mountain West teams in Wa-Griz would be much more fun than UNC or PSU, but man do bowl games suck. The minute the P5 and G5 split and the G5 forms their own playoff (which is actually more realistic than some may think, with the new proposed NCAA constitution and with the CFP talks continuing to stall ), then we gotta go. In fact, I'd be pissed if we didn't move up for that. In fact, I'd be willing to bet some of the better Big Sky schools like msu, Weber, Idaho, Davis, and NAU would all do it too.

No need to go anywhere right now, nor are we in any position to move right now since the MWC has said they have no desire to expand. Once San Diego State and Boise State leave which is likely 3-4 years down the road, then we should strongly consider it and I would think us, msu, NDSU, and SDSU should all be in consideration for the MWC. Maybe they would take all 4 of us or possibly even give Idaho a look.

Griz til I die said:
AZGrizFan said:

AZ, let's put the regular season aside for a minute. I agree, that the FBS regular season as whole is so much more attractive than the FCS regular season. Tell me this though, would you personally enjoy watching the Griz play in the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl or Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, or the FCS Playoffs? Because I totally agree with you that getting to play Mountain West teams in Wa-Griz would be much more fun than UNC or PSU, but man do bowl games suck. The minute the P5 and G5 split and the G5 forms their own playoff (which is actually more realistic than some may think, with the new proposed NCAA constitution and with the CFP talks continuing to stall ), then we gotta go. In fact, I'd be pissed if we didn't move up for that. In fact, I'd be willing to bet some of the better Big Sky schools like msu, Weber, Idaho, Davis, and NAU would all do it too.

No need to go anywhere right now, nor are we in any position to move right now since the MWC has said they have no desire to expand. Once San Diego State and Boise State leave which is likely 3-4 years down the road, then we should strongly consider it and I would think us, msu, NDSU, and SDSU should all be in consideration for the MWC. Maybe they would take all 4 of us or possibly even give Idaho a look.

How many conference games are there in a season whereby you would be able to watch better teams if we were FBS? I’m sure you have other arguments against FBS as well. Relax, I don’t see UM ever moving to FBS.

AllWeatherFan said:
The problem with you move up people is that you cannot admit that there is nothing more exciting than a road trip to Greeley.

If I didn't have the potential to see The Train Museum and engage in martial arts with deranged NCU fans, I think I'd lose it. Luckily a move up will never happen because we've never done it before. Besides, we don't have the bathroom capacity and the barkeeps downtown would never allow us to go FBS.

Griz til I die said:

Here's my take:
a) i believe playoffs are coming in the G5, sooner rather than later. If we're not already there when it happens, it's probably too late at that point.
b) WE (as fans) may not think much of the bowls, but I can tell you after watching several of the "minor" bowls this year, the PLAYERS certainly do care. Oh and by the way, there were some REALLY good minor bowl games this year (that are regularly mocked on this board).
c) I'd trade a regular season of games against Wyoming, CSU, USU, Boise State, AFA, etc., vs UNC, SUU, Idaho State, NAU for the off chance we make a deep playoff run or win a natty (because see point (a) again).

Back