• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Practice Bubble?

Sport

Time for a change of topics. We’ve managed to beat this whole move up scenario to death so let’s move on.

Somewhat related to the afore mentioned topic but I haven’t heard any further discussion about the progress related to the practice bubble or indoor facility for football? If we’re even going to think about moving up this is critical to that discussion. I believe the $$$ number mentioned is between $7m for a collapsible bubble and $30m for a more permanent structure? I think my numbers are reasonably close. Anyway I believe the funding needs to come from private donations with perhaps some bonding involved too? In order to attract the talent necessary to continue to stay competitive at the FCS level I feel an indoor facility is critical.

Lord help us if that school to the East beats us to build a indoor facility we could be in catch up mode which does not bode well for the short term. Kent Haslem has been very creative in finding sources of money but I’m worried that there has not been any further talks along those lines. I guess I’m reaching out to those in the know who may have more information on this subject.

I believe there are many factors involved that make this project viable. Recent gridiron success and the growth in Missoula and the exposure we’ve received from national and international companies looking to establish a presence in Missoula creates an opportunity for funding.

One area that I feel could be explored is a consortium of the local banks I.e. Stockman's bank, First Security, First Interstate Bank and others who’ve been successful in real estate lending. And they are all local for the most part. Real estate companies have also been very profitable as of late.

My apologies for making this so long but once the juices start to flow it’s hard to shut off the Spiket..

It’s gonna happen. We will have one for this upcoming winter (bubble type for now). There’s a UM meeting coming up on this next week. May need a little more fund raising but it’s happening.

I find it strange that MSU doesn't consider building a modern BBall arena instead and freeing up the old field house for indoor practice, track, etc. Oh, yeah and rodeo. The field house is a poor Bball arena, but for the endzone corners could accommodate a full FB field.

The plan is to have it in place and ready to use by November. Just in time for the Playoffs. Patience my friend!

But I agree about everything you said about the local banks and getting them involved. Look at Idaho’s new basketball arena, it was 100% financed by Idaho Central Credit Union. I’d love for UM to work with them on financing a permanent structure with a full track. For now a bubble will work, but that shouldn’t be the long term goal.

Why wasn't the priority on funding for a a permanent structure set in place 5, 10 or even 15-20 years ago so you have the money to build like what SDSU, und and ndsu have...

What is the point of needing a temporary bubble that in a few years will be out dated and you will be looking to build a permanent structure anyway.. save the money you are using to build this, wait 2-3 more years when you have more money saved up and do it right.

I don't agree that anything is better than nothing.... Again my question is why now?

Cowboys84 said:
Why wasn't the priority on funding for a a permanent structure set in place 5, 10 or even 15-20 years ago so you have the money to build like what SDSU, und and ndsu have...

What is the point of needing a temporary bubble that in a few years will be out dated and you will be looking to build a permanent structure anyway.. save the money you are using to build this, wait 2-3 more years when you have more money saved up and do it right.

I don't agree that anything is better than nothing.... Again my question is why now?

In response to Cowboys question about why hasn’t the indoor practice facility been on the radar until recently? Truth is it has been on the athletic dept’s radar along with the Champions Center. It was felt in terms of bang for buck the new Champions Center would have a greater visual impact on athlete’s, parents, contributors etc. I think that has been the best move. Also need to remember that under the previous administration athletics was not a priority and in fact their budget was cut.
Knowing Kent no doubt building a domed structure now will have many of the components that would translate well to a more permanent structure that would support all athletics as well as other student activities.
The question is “why now?”. The answer is it is important to get out in front of that school to the East before they make that move which would diminish our position as the sports Mecca of Montana. Make no mistake, bragging rights are important in this state. As important though as that is it’s critical we stay competitive in FCS.

Sport said:
Cowboys84 said:

In response to Cowboys question about why hasn’t the indoor practice facility been on the radar until recently? Truth is it has been on the athletic dept’s radar along with the Champions Center. It was felt in terms of bang for buck the new Champions Center would have a greater visual impact on athlete’s, parents, contributors etc. I think that has been the best move. Also need to remember that under the previous administration athletics was not a priority and in fact their budget was cut.
Knowing Kent no doubt building a domed structure now will have many of the components that would translate well to a more permanent structure that would support all athletics as well as other student activities.
The question is “why now?”. The answer is it is important to get out in front of that school to the East before they make that move which would diminish our position as the sports Mecca of Montana. Make no mistake, bragging rights are important in this state. As important though as that is it’s critical we stay competitive in FCS.

Thanks.

Cowboys84 said:
Because the priorities set in place 5, 10 or even 15-20 years ago had an academic center, a champion's center and locker room improvements ahead of it, which have been methodically executed. This is an outstanding facility improvement plan for a financially struggling university. Haslam and the donors deserve a lot of credit, not your whining.

An indoor practice facility will be a Great addition to the Grizzly athletic facilities and we will benefit from it next season. These bubbles are durable and numerous universities utilize them. Iowa used theirs for 20+ years, so if UM gets this to use for the next 5-10 years while collecting the necessary funds for a permanent facilty, it will prove advantageous. Here's a link for an example of a football facility bubble:

https://youtu.be/ezX4924cav0

Cowboys84 said:

Have you taken a look at what they’re proposing? It’s going to be perfect, and it’d be a lot more than 2-3 more years to generate the necessary funds to build a fully permanent structure. These bubbles are well known, utilized across a number of universities (including several P5 schools), and will serve the institution well. Yes, maybe some day they can build a full permanent structure, or they can just keep the part thats going to be permanent and replace the bubble periodically like most schools do.

Is it totally impossible to dome the stadium itself? Yes, more expensive, but I’m thinking along structural issues. I assume powers that be know the answer.

RABIDAWG said:
Is it totally impossible to dome the stadium itself? Yes, more expensive, but I’m thinking along structural issues. I assume powers that be know the answer.
Why would we wanna do that?

AZGrizFan said:
Cowboys84 said:

Have you taken a look at what they’re proposing? It’s going to be perfect, and it’d be a lot more than 2-3 more years to generate the necessary funds to build a fully permanent structure. These bubbles are well known, utilized across a number of universities (including several P5 schools), and will serve the institution well. Yes, maybe some day they can build a full permanent structure, or they can just keep the part thats going to be permanent and replace the bubble periodically like most schools do.

Kids with sharp objects, like bow and arrows.

kemajic said:
I find it strange that MSU doesn't consider building a modern BBall arena instead and freeing up the old field house for indoor practice, track, etc. Oh, yeah and rodeo. The field house is a poor Bball arena, but for the endzone corners could accommodate a full FB field.

in the early- or mid- 70's rosemary high school in bozeman played for the class c championship in the field house, due to brutal weather. maybe something has changed, but the field wasn't 100 yards, and they used some funky scheme that i've forgotten to accommodate the game.

kemajic said:

I agree, the Brick Breeden is dated at best. When it was built it was purported to be the largest domed structure in the country until the Astrodome was built. My oldest sister tells me that there used to be football played in there (I don’t believe any actual games) but it wasn’t long enough to have full end zones. To solve this problem, when teams would enter the red zone they would move the line of scrimmage back in order to accommodate. I have no idea how it worked for long plays. Maybe some Bobcat old timer can fill in the gaps there.

RABIDAWG said:

Half domes only. Big fan of The North Face logo.

BozAngelesGriz said:
kemajic said:

I agree, the Brick Breeden is dated at best. When it was built it was purported to be the largest domed structure in the country until the Astrodome was built. My oldest sister tells me that there used to be football played in there (I don’t believe any actual games) but it wasn’t long enough to have full end zones. To solve this problem, when teams would enter the red zone they would move the line of scrimmage back in order to accommodate. I have no idea how it worked for long plays. Maybe some Bobcat old timer can fill in the gaps there.

Holy hell if that doesn’t describe Bozeman football in a nutshell I don’t know what does. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

Holy hell if that doesn’t describe Bozeman football in a nutshell I don’t know what does. :lol:

Returning cat football to the Brick is the answer to several long standing problems.

This would eliminate the need of sinking more money into the non-symmetrical, gapped, magnetically north by northeast eyesore that is Reno H. Sales. Waded could have the stadium razed and the footprint returned to native grassed wetlands bordering the shit pond. Or, a more economical choice would be to just let nature take its course and allow the untreated rusted stands to collapse on their own.

Coach Sixx’s vision is to emulate the success at UNDSU. What better way to do this than pack a football building full of plump white people wearing bright yellow? I’m sure Costello could find a gently used auditorium caliber laser light show machine on eBay for a song.

Brick Breeden already has a paved parking lot perfect for tailgating. It’s proximity to campus would significantly shorten the distance for the biannual Trail of Tears. Lessening the health and safety concerns as well as the shame for many cat fans.

Few would notice the stoppage in play as the ball was reset 10 yards every time a team entered The Town Pump Red Zone.

Returning cat football to its ancestral home of Brick Breeden is brilliant.

RABIDAWG said:

Yes, I believe there are structural limitations that would prevent this.

Ursa Major said:
AZGrizFan said:

Returning cat football to the Brick is the answer to several long standing problems.

This would eliminate the need of sinking more money into the non-symmetrical, gapped, magnetically north by northeast eyesore that is Reno H. Sales. Waded could have the stadium razed and the footprint returned to native grassed wetlands bordering the shit pond. Or, a more economical choice would be to just let nature take its course and allow the untreated rusted stands to collapse on their own.

Coach Sixx’s vision is to emulate the success at UNDSU. What better way to do this than pack a football building full of plump white people wearing bright yellow? I’m sure Costello could find a gently used auditorium caliber laser light show machine on eBay for a song.

Brick Breeden already has a paved parking lot perfect for tailgating. It’s proximity to campus would significantly shorten the distance for the biannual Trail of Tears. Lessening the health and safety concerns as well as the shame for many cat fans.

Few would notice the stoppage in play as the ball was reset 10 yards every time a team entered The Town Pump Red Zone.

Returning cat football to its ancestral home of Brick Breeden is brilliant.

Kidding aside, I have absolutely no clue what they are thinking over there in Bozeman with RHS. They have like four different situations going on with that thing when you look at it. It’s like they all got together and said, “We’re going to make this into the most ridiculous looking stadium in the history of football.” Reno must be rolling over in his grave (with the hookers).

Back