• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Grooming A Quarterback

70Griz

DONOR
I think it's a fair statement to say the Griz coaching staff have no one capable of developing or radically improving our young qbs. I would love to see one or more of our young qbs sent to any of several quarterback gurus around the country that work with college kids. Huot and Britt for example. The Manning Passing Academy charges $3000 for a 4 day clinic, including accommodations. However, the MPA only works with 8th to 12th grades. I, for one, would gladly pony up a couple hundred for a fund to send these kids to a real quarterback clinic. Is anything like this possible? Maybe some of our Missoula posters who belong to the Quarterback Club or something similar can chime in.

I thought Humphery improved quite a bit over his time here. Still took too many sacks and didn't always protect himself when running, but steadily (when healthy) improved from the time he stepped onto campus.

70Griz said:
I think it's a fair statement to say the Griz coaching staff have no one capable of developing or radically improving our young qbs. I would love to see one or more of our young qbs sent to any of several quarterback gurus around the country that work with college kids. Huot and Britt for example. The Manning Passing Academy charges $3000 for a 4 day clinic, including accommodations. However, the MPA only works with 8th to 12th grades. I, for one, would gladly pony up a couple hundred for a fund to send these kids to a real quarterback clinic. Is anything like this possible? Maybe some of our Missoula posters who belong to the Quarterback Club or something similar can chime in.

A four day camp is going to groom a college QB? I think that a lot egriz folks don’t understand the amazing depth of experience this staff has. Go read bios of each coach and compare them to any FCS staff in the country. We are poised with the players we have coming back and new additions to have one of the best teams in recent memory.

Agree with Uncle Rio, our coaching staff experience is excellent Just look at their bios and you will find that their overall level of experience is second to none. Secondly a 4 day QB camp for a college student will do little good, these camps are for up and coming high schoolers

I for one thought this was going entirely in a different direction, watched way too many Law and Order: SVU and Criminal Minds episodes.

As for QB coaching, there is no universal language that guarantees improved QB play, in most cases you might just be more effective communicating in a 7,000 year old dead language than bringing a guy right off the street. Some guys speak QB really well, but UM's issue under Hauck isn't coaching per say, it is philosophy and scheme. The longitudinal issue probably settles around values they hold to be true in their QB play rather than generating huge counting stats or growth of QB's in their system. Rather the premise is they want guys who can execute at a high level within the system, and to this point they've had really one guy in three years. Dalton Sneed.

There is a belief that Lucas Johnson first, and secondarily Daniel Britt can be those guys this year and into the future. One of the criticisms of their system when they evaluated QB's the past few years, is what was necessary to make the offensive achieve its full efficiency does require a bit more out the QB than maybe they'd care to admit. Both Britt and Johnson are closer to Sneed than Humphrey, and if they are the offense is going to be vastly improved because I think it'll open up the system more and improve O-line play as a result.

Grizfan-24 said:
I for one thought this was going entirely in a different direction, watched way too many Law and Order: SVU and Criminal Minds episodes.

As for QB coaching, there is no universal language that guarantees improved QB play, in most cases you might just be more effective communicating in a 7,000 year old dead language than bringing a guy right off the street. Some guys speak QB really well, but UM's issue under Hauck isn't coaching per say, it is philosophy and scheme. The longitudinal issue probably settles around values they hold to be true in their QB play rather than generating huge counting stats or growth of QB's in their system. Rather the premise is they want guys who can execute at a high level within the system, and to this point they've had really one guy in three years. Dalton Sneed.

There is a belief that Lucas Johnson first, and secondarily Daniel Britt can be those guys this year and into the future. One of the criticisms of their system when they evaluated QB's the past few years, is what was necessary to make the offensive achieve its full efficiency does require a bit more out the QB than maybe they'd care to admit. Both Britt and Johnson are closer to Sneed than Humphrey, and if they are the offense is going to be vastly improved because I think it'll open up the system more and improve O-line play as a result.

What are the latitudinal issues?

70Griz said:

I don't know if Lucas"Trey"Johnson is the answer but coach bobby better pray for him to be because the depth behind him is lacking.

Ursa Major said:
Is Leaf locked up again? Maybe we can get him on the cheap thru a daytime work release program.

. . . you know . . . back in '82 I could throw it a quarter-mile
https://youtu.be/s6L87euJ8sQ

Hi+im+chris+hansen+with+dateline+nbc+_3c3ca31f52e9999d699ab10cb93aecfc.jpg

Grizfan-24 said:

So if what you are saying is true, and it may well be, then Eric Berriere probably wouldn’t fit the system they are trying to run. You would need a very cerebral QB. Not just someone who is a dual threat or a gunslinger. Maybe a bit much to ask for an FCS program. Especially when you look at what NDSU has at QB and the system they run. Maybe time they evaluate the system.

Ursa Major said:
Is Leaf locked up again? Maybe we can get him on the cheap thru a daytime work release program.

I like where you are going with this, Ursa. I think we can take it a step further and avoid having to keep a U.S. Marshall on staff to watch Leaf. Let’s pull Jack Johnson out of retirement and bring him over as a QB Coach. Hell, he is the one who developed both Dave Dickenson and Ryan Leaf at C.M. Russell…and is said to be the best high school QB Coach ever from Montana.

Back