• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2022 Offense/Defense

HookedonGriz

DONOR
We should have a damn strong team next year. My biggest worry was at QB but I think the addition of Lucas Johnson eases that worry. On top of that, hopefully having a healthy Knight and Ostmo could be huge too. The addition of some solid transfers is the icing on the cake.

QB: Johnson/Brown/Britt/Patterson
RBs: Knight/Ostmo/Harris/Childs/Janacaro
Slot: Sulser (if healthy)/Bergen/White/Deck
WRs: Roberts/Racanelli/Simpson/Flowers/Fontes/Williams
TEs: Grossman/Elwell/Barker (is Rensvold healthy)/Olson
C: Forbes/Martin
OL: Mayginnes brothers (yes you read that correct)/Casey/Dreis/Brown/Kanouse/Ambuehl/Welnel/Botner/Good

DEs: McGourin/Todd/Nelson/Nuce/Hurlburt/Edwards
DL: Alford/Gubner/Kaschmitter/Brown/Detrick
LBs: O’Connell/Welnel/Matthews/Hill/Janacaro/Tirrell
CBs: Ford/Dawson/Walker/Soe/Whitehead/Simmons/Gradney
Safety: Hauck/Graves/Cotton/Fouch/Lee/Meyer/Klucewich

I agree this team has big potential next year. I know there's been a lot of people concerned about the O-line and I get it, but I'm kind of of the opinion that it was more about having all freshmen RB's and their inexperience as opposed to the O-line not being that great. Having a healthy Knight and Ostmo is going to make IMO a world of a difference in the offense and will take a weight off the O-line and QB's shoulders. I liked the post I saw a couple weeks ago (I think it was dayday) that said we could probably win 8 games alone just direct snapping the ball to Knight and Ostmo. Getting the second Mayginnes brother definitely helps, and I'm sure we'll end up getting one or two more guys on the line, but I really like the current makeup of this team with Knight back and Johnson at QB. The defense will just continue to be as dominant as it was last year.

QB: Johnson/Britt/Huot (I think Brown switches positions and I’m not sure Patterson remains)
WR: White? Watch out for Alford….
TE: Brammer is going to be in the mix
LB: Flink impressed me this year

Griz til I die said:
I agree this team has big potential next year. I know there's been a lot of people concerned about the O-line and I get it, but I'm kind of of the opinion that it was more about having all freshmen RB's and their inexperience as opposed to the O-line not being that great. Having a healthy Knight and Ostmo is going to make IMO a world of a difference in the offense and will take a weight off the O-line and QB's shoulders. I liked the post I saw a couple weeks ago (I think it was dayday) that said we could probably win 8 games alone just direct snapping the ball to Knight and Ostmo. Getting the second Mayginnes brother definitely helps, and I'm sure we'll end up getting one or two more guys on the line, but I really like the current makeup of this team with Knight back and Johnson at QB. The defense will just continue to be as dominant as it was last year.

I’m hearing we have another FBS drop down OL in the bag as well (besides the other Mayginnes) so that will help too.

AZGrizFan said:
QB: Johnson/Britt/Huot (I think Brown switches positions and I’m not sure Patterson remains)

That QB room is a little thin.

AZGrizFan said:

I had White in the slot position. He can do both. He’s gonna only get better. Flink impressed me too.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

That QB room is a little thin.

Agreed, and while I have zero inside knowledge, but not sure if I were Brown or Patterson why I’d stick it out at this point (at least not at that position)…

In my opinion Patterson and Johnson are QB 1 and 2 headed into Spring and I don’t think we’ll bring in another QB until after spring if at all.

grizfan1984 said:
In my opinion Patterson and Johnson are QB 1 and 2 headed into Spring and I don’t think we’ll bring in another QB until after spring if at all.

Having gotten an up close/personal look at Patterson/Brown/Britt at the Griz Cat game, I saw nothing about Patterson that impressed me (other than his running ability). He seems to float every pass, with little to no zip on them (the opposite of Humphrey’s problem, literally). I predict Britt will be QB2 very quickly.

grizfan1984 said:
You put Patterson ahead of Johnson headed into Fall ball? I think it's Johnson's job to lose. Like Bobby said, they bring transfers with the expectation that they will start. Of course he still has to earn it, but I'd be shocked if he wasn't the starter next season.

AZGrizFan said:
grizfan1984 said:

Having gotten an up close/personal look at Patterson/Brown/Britt at the Griz Cat game, I saw nothing about Patterson that impressed me (other than his running ability). He seems to float every pass, with little to no zip on them (the opposite of Humphrey’s problem, literally). I predict Britt will be QB2 very quickly.
I agree AZ. I think Johnson is a bridge until Britt's ready to be handed the keys to the starting job in 2023.

Griz til I die said:
AZGrizFan said:
I agree AZ. I think Johnson is a bridge until Britt's ready to be handed the keys to the starting job in 2023.
By the end of spring yes I think it will be Johnson’s I only put Patterson in front right now until Johnson gets familiar with the team and offense. Britt very well take over for backup after more time and learning from Johnson and I’m not sure Brown will stay at QB.

The Fink kid is my break out player for the griz next year.....he has paid his dues, has a nose for the ball and is a hitter.

Griz til I die said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think that you will still see another transfer that will fall somewhere between Johnson and Britt in eligibility and be in the running with Britt in 23.

I can't rate talent, but I will say both Alford and Gubner have a lot of game minutes played. They both seem on par to have four years of solid stats. Workhorses.

I don’t know who will be the starting QB, but they will be better than anyone in 2021. There I said it. Partially because of the running back situation. Bottom line, no reason the Griz aren’t playing in the natty next year against NDSU or SDSU. SDSU loses a lot of players. Cats do as well and they better have one hell of a lucky streak with the portal to have any chance of competing deep into the playoffs. FCS is now so watered down it is embarrassing. EWU will be garbage. Weber = terrible. Very few teams who will be competitive.

Back