• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Zac Crews Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpe Diem Griz

Just curious if anyone has an update on Mr. Zac Crews? The last signing day for the 22’ class is the end of this month, I believe. I ran into a friend of the family over the weekend and he said it’s been very difficult time for him. I don’t like to see a kid with this much talent left without a home to play. I for one have changed my tune and I think it’s time he sign with the GRIZ program, as planned. He can take his licks in the locker room and everyone can move on.

Should be left up to the team imo. I’m all for second chances, but I think this is going to be a very hard sell to the locker room.

If the team says yes, more power to all of them. If the team says no, then I think Bobby will listen to that. If he ends up a Griz I’m willing to bet it’s because the team as a whole worked it out with him.

Can we collectively and rationally discuss this here? A few got a little upset about this before? I think this should be discussed. How much will be tolerated though?

HookedonGriz said:
If the team says yes, more power to all of them. If the team says no, then I think Bobby will listen to that. If he ends up a Griz I’m willing to bet it’s because the team as a whole worked it out with him.

:thumb:

Things could change or he could decide it’s not worth it but I heard he’s coming on as a walk on. Not a PWO but just a normal walk on opportunity which means he would start when classes start. Then he can be given the chance to earn his teammates trust and his Schollie.

dayday said:
Things could change or he could decide it’s not worth it but I heard he’s coming on as a walk on. Not a PWO but just a normal walk on opportunity which means he would start when classes start. Then he can be given the chance to earn his teammates trust and his Schollie.

The fact that he’s trying to still come here when it would be much easier to go someplace else says 1)He must have a great desire to right his wrong and 2)He really wants to be a Griz. Depending on how the team accepts him, he could have a very tuff go of it though.

alabamagrizzly said:
dayday said:

The fact that he’s trying to still come here when it would be much easier to go someplace else says 1)He must have a great desire to right his wrong and 2)He really wants to be a Griz. Depending on how the team accepts him, he could have a very tuff go of it though.

curious why it would be easier for him some place else?

I'd imagine this decision is over the head of Bobby, and sits with the AD or even the university president.

Kids make mistakes, and I hope he would be given the opportunity to atone for them in some way. Whether that is at the UM or elsewhere, I do hope he gets the chance. But fear of missing out on his talent shouldn't be the primary reason he is placed on the roster for next year. We have to stop absolving people of their mistakes just because they are young. Every moment is teachable, and from what I gather he seems rather aware of just how awful his mistake was. We have this habit of passing stuff like this off, that kids could learn from, but never do and then it becomes fomented and harder to correct as they get older. This is true of everything from drinking and drugs to a whole host of things. He has a long life in front of him and he can exit it a vastly better person if he is allowed to learn from it.

That doesn't mean people have to embrace him with open arms just because he said he was sorry. If that locker room, coaching staff, and University decide that the consequence is beyond just losing a scholarship, it is a consequence and a logical outcome. Maybe not logical to some of you, but again I think Zac (from what I understand) gets that there is work still be done beyond an apology.

wbtfg said:
I'd imagine this decision is over the head of Bobby, and sits with the AD or even the university president.

Hmm, I wouldn't think so, assuming he's still admitted and welcomed to the university as a student, obviously. I'm certain Hauck would discuss it with Kent, but I cannot imagine it wouldn't ultimately be BH's decision.

There is a point where the punishment has to fit the offense. What he did was really bad. But the kid has been stripped of a scholarship, lost a wrestling season and become a pariah on social media. What he sent out was indeed terrible but I think it is time to step back and ease up on the kid. Let what happens be between the coaches and his teammates. Give him a chance to redeem himself.

retiredpopo said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Assuming someplace else might not know the history and he’d have a fresh start there. Nowadays though I’m sure no matter where he showed up, people are gonna know about it since a quick google search of “Zac Crews Montana” will have several headlines regarding the issue.

alabamagrizzly said:
retiredpopo said:

Assuming someplace else might not know the history and he’d have a fresh start there. Nowadays though I’m sure no matter where he showed up, people are gonna know about it since a quick google search of “Zac Crews Montana” will have several headlines regarding the issue.

yup social media stuff never goes away. . that is why I questioned your post.

EverettGriz said:
wbtfg said:

Hmm, I wouldn't think so, assuming he's still admitted and welcomed to the university as a student, obviously. I'm certain Hauck would discuss it with Kent, but I cannot imagine it wouldn't ultimately be BH's decision.

You might be right....In my mind, I think this situation is relatively high profile, and I think the Administration would have to fully support.

I was able to speak with my son just before practice today. It’s tough. He said most on the team are past it and really don’t care, but there are 2 or 3 that were fairly vocal about him not playing for the Griz program. This was just before the start of the current signing period. As a player, he felt he should come play and know he is going to take some hard shots on the field. His exact words were, “then everybody can move the fuck on.”

Carpe Diem Griz said:
I was able to speak with my son just before practice today. It’s tough. He said most on the team are past it and really don’t care, but there are 2 or 3 that were fairly vocal about him not playing for the Griz program. This was just before the start of the current signing period. As a player, he felt he should come play and know he is going to take some hard shots on the field. His exact words were, “then everybody can move the fuck on.”

Your son is wise beyond his years. :thumb: :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back