• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NCAA changes coming

hm.grwn.grizfan

DONOR
https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/27/ncaa-new-transformation-committee-changes?fbclid=IwAR3cZNpCvGfWWQKeAeU9QMwMrwI5jK9IjpueZYwEuQBJagx06q18hHQdcmM

From the article ———

Imagine a college sports world where schools are able to offer each baseball player a full scholarship. Or if a football team’s on-field coaching staff could exceed 25 people.

What if the transfer portal was open to players for just three months out of the year? And what if the recruiting calendar featured no evaluation or quiet periods?

There is a distinct possibility these ideas could become more than just concepts.

The Transformation Committee, a group of high-ranking college leaders charged with overhauling and modernizing NCAA governance, is considering revolutionary changes some administrators describe as “radical.” In a briefing with athletic administrators this week in Dallas, committee leaders revealed ideas to deregulate longtime NCAA bylaws and decentralize such decisions to the conferences.

“It’s going to make some heads explode,” says one athletic director.

The Transformation Committee decided to share the concepts in an apparent effort to prepare administrators for impending change that is even more transformative than many expected. And many officials believe Tuesday night’s announcement that NCAA president Mark Emmert plans to resign next June is a first step in what will be a new NCAA, with transforming starting at the very top.

The way I see this, this will strongly favor the Power 5 conferences (Big Ten, Big 12, ACC, SEC, and Pac 12) and may not mean much for the Big Sky. These concepts are pretty eye-opening.

We truly don't know what the extent of these changes will look like once next fall gets here, but I think this will be something worth keeping an eye on.

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
The way I see this, this will strongly favor the Power 5 conferences (Big Ten, Big 12, ACC, SEC, and Pac 12) and may not mean much for the Big Sky. These concepts are pretty eye-opening.

We truly don't know what the extent of these changes will look like once next fall gets here, but I think this will be something worth keeping an eye on.

Getting ready to form their 64 or 72 team super division. Just my opinion but I don't see using the pro model and (apparently) wanting to go head to head with the NFL is a good idea. Is this going to lose them student support at some point and disillusion fans that like college football because it's not (presumably) professional. I'm still a fan of my home NFL team since I was 6 when they came to town, but given where it is these days my interest in the NFL is waning by the year. Still can't get enough of college and Griz football, though. If these programs become more remote from students, fans and alumni I don't think it's a good thing. The school fan has a different connection to their team than the NFL fan, nothing wrong with either, I just prefer the one, not that it matters in the big picture.

This just pushes small college ball farther down. We'll likely still be playing before 4000 on the road and have no big money games. It's the NCAA that funds FCS playoffs; that could be at risk.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
From the article ———

Imagine a college sports world where schools are able to offer each baseball player a full scholarship. Or if a football team’s on-field coaching staff could exceed 25 people.

What if the transfer portal was open to players for just three months out of the year? And what if the recruiting calendar featured no evaluation or quiet periods?

There is a distinct possibility these ideas could become more than just concepts.

The Transformation Committee, a group of high-ranking college leaders charged with overhauling and modernizing NCAA governance, is considering revolutionary changes some administrators describe as “radical.” In a briefing with athletic administrators this week in Dallas, committee leaders revealed ideas to deregulate longtime NCAA bylaws and decentralize such decisions to the conferences.

The Transformation Committee decided to share the concepts in an apparent effort to prepare administrators for impending change that is even more transformative than many expected. And many officials believe Tuesday night’s announcement that NCAA president Mark Emmert plans to resign next June is a first step in what will be a new NCAA, with transforming starting at the very top.

This is the new NCAA.....will happen to all sports
https://theathletic.com/news/miami-isaiah-wong-nil-deal/VfKukhEhOjar/

...there are many rats on the ship...
...they will hang on kicking and screaming...
...get the piece of the billion $ march madness deal...

... :steal:...

There's a very good chance the NCAA won't meet it's constitution deadline by August 1

Here's the ripple effect that might happen: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-unlikely-to-meet-constitution-deadline-as-hot-button-nil-issue-disrupts-college-athletics/

I bet all the best programs with the richest donors will get all the best players now. Not like ten or twenty years ago when top-level talent just decided to go to Idaho State or Cal Poly for the love of the game.

CDAGRIZ said:
I bet all the best programs with the richest donors will get all the best players now. Not like ten or twenty years ago when top-level talent just decided to go to Idaho State or Cal Poly for the love of the game.

That hasn't been too successful at Stanford and no one has more big money players than they do. But, at Stanford, it is the game that counts, or something like that.

GrizLA said:
CDAGRIZ said:

That hasn't been too successful at Stanford and no one has more big money players than they do. But, at Stanford, it is the game that counts, or something like that.

The Farm has its pesky academic standards which aren’t for public consumption, but I would bet pretty restrictive. With NIL, I could honestly see some private school with well-heeled boosters coming out of the woodwork in football. Somewhere like SMU. They have experience running a payroll.

Heck, I have a friend who played third string and scout team for a University in Southern California and he says he’d get a random stack of hundreds in the mail almost every month for no reason and with no return address. Just a, “Here ya go, kid, keep up the good work” type note. This was nearly 20 years ago.

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
There's a very good chance the NCAA won't meet it's constitution deadline by August 1

Here's the ripple effect that might happen: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-unlikely-to-meet-constitution-deadline-as-hot-button-nil-issue-disrupts-college-athletics/

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian - The old adage: 'You adapt or you die.' There's no more dinosaurs on this Earth."

behappp said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian - The old adage: 'You adapt or you die.' There's no more dinosaurs on this Earth."

Not a fan a some of the stuff Sark has done, but he knows the drill and I think he’s spot on about this one.

fanofzoo said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
From the article ———

Isaiah Wong talking about his 'highest level of integrity and character' is a joke. He has neither. Its kinds like being 'a little pregnant.' You are or you ain't.

3-7-77 said:
fanofzoo said:

Isaiah Wong talking about his 'highest level of integrity and character' is a joke. He has neither. Its kinds like being 'a little pregnant.' You are or you ain't.

Agreed. None of these kids should be looking out for themselves and/or trying to maximize returns. I’ve turned down many raises and job offers for more money because I’m loyal to this Kmart book section. I want the players to do the same. Head down, follow directions, don’t question anything, stop thinking. That’s what college is all about.

CDAGRIZ said:
3-7-77 said:

Agreed. None of these kids should be looking out for themselves and/or trying to maximize returns. I’ve turned down many raises and job offers for more money because I’m loyal to this Kmart book section. I want the players to do the same. Head down, follow directions, don’t question anything, stop thinking. That’s what college is all about.

:lol: :clap:

If there was a "Subtle POTY" award, this one's takin' home the hardware.

It will be interesting to see over time how many players actually improve their situation after they enter the portal. I did see some anecdotal stats recently that indicated the vast majority do not. I can't remember where I saw it? Anyone know?

SoldierGriz said:
It will be interesting to see over time how many players actually improve their situation after they enter the portal. I did see some anecdotal stats recently that indicated the vast majority do not. I can't remember where I saw it? Anyone know?

It would be fairly to easy gauge from a football standpoint. But everyone needs to remember that every kid entering the portal isn't doing so strictly for football reasons. There could be a kid that enters the portal, transfers to another team, and is suddenly buried down the depth chart. Fans will look and say what a failure it was.

However, maybe the kid wanted to be closer to home. Maybe they had an ill family member they got to spend time with before they passed away. Maybe they went to be closer to a girlfriend and are now engaged. Maybe they left toxic relationships at the first school only to make blossoming friendships at their second school. Maybe the decision was almost completely based on academics rather than athletics.

Not saying you SG, but I think fans get caught up in the portal and sometimes forget these are just human beings doing what they feel is best, and it might hardly be related to athletics at all.

Back