• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What do you consider Eastern Montana

What do you consider Eastern Montana

• Everything east of the divide.

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Everything east of the Rocky Mountain Front.

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • Everything east of Bozeman.

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • Everything east of 11 miles west of Lewiston, the geographical center of Montana.

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Everything east of Billings.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Everything east of Miles City.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Everything east of Glendive.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everything east of Wibaux.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There is no eastern Montana, it’s actually western North Dakota.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Bobcats suck.

Votes: 66 65.3%
  • Western North Dakota sucks.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • All of North Dakota sucks.

Votes: 47 46.5%

• Total voters

alabamagrizzly

With a hot debate going on in another thread, I decided this topic needed it’s own thread and poll. I’ve alway considered everything on the other side of Lewiston, once your pretty much fully out of the Rockies to be eastern Montana. I’ve also considered the bobcats and all of North Dakota to suck. You get 3 selections. Choose wisely.

If you only consider there to be an East and West then Billings probably makes it into East. This would be a fairly ignorant model though. There is definitely a gradual transition in the topography from West to East. West being more mountainous and heavily treed (save from the result of logging in some areas). The Central is more of a mix of mountains/trees and plains. The East is clearly different than the rest being flatter and notably less wooded. Also the divide is not a straight North and South line in the center of the state and actually is decidedly West in location and bends slightly East as it travels Southward until it juts hard West toward Idaho. Regardless, to me, there is a West, Central and East. Billings falling into the Central region as does Bozo.

cmtgrizzly said:
If you only consider there to be an East and West then Billings probably makes it into East. This would be a fairly ignorant model though. There is definitely a gradual transition in the topography from West to East. West being more mountainous and heavily treed (save from the result of logging in some areas). The Central is more of a mix of mountains/trees and plains. The East is clearly different than the rest being flatter and notably less wooded. Also the divide is not a straight North and South line in the center of the state and actually is decidedly West in location and bends slightly East as it travels Southward until it juts hard West toward Idaho. Regardless, to me, there is a West, Central and East. Billings falling into the Central region as does Bozo.

Montana is 630 miles wide. If you equally divided the state into thirds, every 210 miles would equate into West, Central and East regions. Since Billings is 230 miles straight line to ND border, Billings falls into the central region. Starting somewhere around Worden and Pompey’s Pillar the East region begins.
Billings continues to grow west towards Laurel.
Go Griz!

Living here is great in southcentral MT, home of the real mountains of MT, looking directly at Granite Peak from my office.

Billings is becoming an early version of Boise, serving the entire region, which includes much of WY.

GottaluvGriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Montana is 630 miles wide. If you equally divided the state into thirds, every 210 miles would equate into West, Central and East regions. Since Billings is 230 miles straight line to ND border, Billings falls into the central region. Starting somewhere around Worden and Pompey’s Pillar the East region begins.
Go Griz!
Growing INTO Laurel.

Beats the hell out of me. All I know is that the Hi-Line extends from Havre to Marias Pass, thereby excluding Malta, Glasgow, etc.

Those who have travelled extensively throughout Montana know the regions. This 'east of the divide mantra is foolish. There is Central Mt, Northcentral Montana, South Central Montana, and the Highline. Basically, when travelling eastbound on I-90 one notices a distinct difference at some point east of Billings. From Lewistown, somewhere east of Grass Range that feeling comes over you that Kansas can't be too far off. As for the Highline, once Glacier Park disappears from the rearview mirror, you may find yourself saying 'What the **** am I doing out here?!!!!' So, yes, a diagonal line somwhere from Cut Bank to Broadus, give or take a few miles. Oh, before I forget, FTC!

GottaluvGriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Go Griz!

East, central, south central....doesn't matter. What Billings IS is a shithole. Regardless of where it stands... :D :D

AZGrizFan said:
GottaluvGriz said:
Go Griz!

East, central, south central....doesn't matter. What Billings IS is a shithole. Regardless of where it stands... :D :D
That comment coming from someone located in Texas is really laughable…….

GottaluvGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Hey, you'll get no argument from me, vast swaths of Texas look just like eastern Montana. And it ain't pretty. But Billings ITSELF is a shithole, whereas San Antonio is not...so your comparison is moot. :| :|

AZGrizFan said:
GottaluvGriz said:

Hey, you'll get no argument from me, vast swaths of Texas look just like eastern Montana. And it ain't pretty. But Billings ITSELF is a shithole, whereas San Antonio is not...so your comparison is moot. :| :|

What about El Paso? Asking for a friend cus I really don’t know.

Well...let's start with it is LewistoWn...with a W. Lewiston is in Idaho. A true Montanan would know that. Must be from Western North Dakota... :lol:

Also, there are way too many good choices here to limit us to 3.

3-7-77 said:
Those who have travelled extensively throughout Montana know the regions. This 'east of the divide mantra is foolish. There is Central Mt, Northcentral Montana, South Central Montana, and the Highline. Basically, when travelling eastbound on I-90 one notices a distinct difference at some point east of Billings. From Lewistown, somewhere east of Grass Range that feeling comes over you that Kansas can't be too far off. As for the Highline, once Glacier Park disappears from the rearview mirror, you may find yourself saying 'What the **** am I doing out here?!!!!' So, yes, a diagonal line somwhere from Cut Bank to Broadus, give or take a few miles. Oh, before I forget, FTC!

I do think this is spot on...and I laughed outloud.

AZDoc said:
Well...let's start with it is LewistoWn...with a W. Lewiston is in Idaho. A true Montanan would know that. Must be from Western North Dakota... :lol:

Also, there are way too many good choices here to limit us to 3.

:oops: :oops:

Back