• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

1986 Recruiting Class

SaskGriz

DONOR
This was Coach Read's first Recruiting Class and it stands out that he brought in a ton of guys from JUCO's. I suspect this was because he needed seasoned players who would see the field right away and change the programs direction to where he saw it going. It also may be an indicator that he didn't have his HS recruiting pipelines up and running, the way he would once he was more established.

On the humorous side, it looks like we recruited a kid named Chriss Kross. He would have landed right between early 80's easy-listening staple Christopher Cross and early 90's backwards clothes wearing Hip Hop duo Kris Kross.

1986 Recruiting Class 27/32 SCORE: 2.000

5 Points: Matt Clark WR, Hellgate HS Jody Farmer FB, Libby Michael McGowan DB, Seattle, WA Mike Trevathan DB, Thousand Oaks, CA

4 Points: Demedric Cooks LB, San Jose CC, San Jose, CA Tony Lambert WR, Walla Walla JC, Steilacoom, WA Greg Nygren DB, College of the Redwoods, Grants Pass, OR

3 Points: Jeff Blank OLB, Billings West Dave Garza WR, Wenatchee CC, Moses Lake, WA Chuck Shepard DT, Frenchtown Scott Smith CB, Antelope Valley CC, Lancaster, CA Mike Strutzel DT, Wenatchee JC, Monitor, WA Scott Waak QB, Bend, OR

2 Points: Russ Blank CB, Beaverhead HS, Dillon Tim Donovon OT, College of Marin, San Rafael, CA Don Douglas QB, Nebraska, Butte Robbe Lindsay LB, Fullerton JC, Billings, MT

1 Point: Joe Easton WR, Sentinel Todd Foster OLB, Savage Jeff Neil WR, CMR HS Steve Redmond QB, Spokane, WA
Keith Tomlinson OG, Southwestern JC, Bonita, CA Scott Wales OG, DeAnza JC, San Jose, CA

Zero Points: Trent Holmes DE, Sentinel Sven Holt DE, Hamilton Chriss Kross FS, Burnham, IL Maurice Martin CB, Stockton JC, Stockton, CA Sean McNally OC, Antelope Valley CC, Palmdale, CA Ken Miller CB, Frenchtown Todd Sherman SS/LB, Yakima Valley College, Renton, WA Derek Whiddon TE/DB, Big Sky HS Vernon Willie LB, Porterville JC, Shiprock, NM

SaskGriz said:
This was Coach Read's first Recruiting Class and it stands out that he brought in a ton of guys from JUCO's. I suspect this was because he needed seasoned players who would see the field right away and change the programs direction to where he saw it going. It also may be an indicator that he didn't have his HS recruiting pipelines up and running, the way he would once he was more established.

On the humorous side, it looks like we recruited a kid named Chriss Kross. He would have landed right between early 80's easy-listening staple Christopher Cross and early 90's backwards clothes wearing Hip Hop duo Kris Kross.

1986 Recruiting Class 27/32 SCORE: 1.969

5 Points: Matt Clark WR, Hellgate HS Jody Farmer FB, Libby Michael McGowan DB, Seattle, WA

4 Points: Demedric Cooks LB, San Jose CC, San Jose, CA Tony Lambert WR, Walla Walla JC, Steilacoom, WA Greg Nygren DB, College of the Redwoods, Grants Pass, OR Mike Trevathan DB, Thousand Oaks, CA

3 Points: Jeff Blank OLB, Billings West Dave Garza WR, Wenatchee CC, Moses Lake, WA Chuck Shepard DT, Frenchtown Scott Smith CB, Antelope Valley CC, Lancaster, CA Mike Strutzel DT, Wenatchee JC, Monitor, WA Scott Waak QB, Bend, OR

2 Points: Russ Blank CB, Beaverhead HS, Dillon Tim Donovon OT, College of Marin, San Rafael, CA Don Douglas QB, Nebraska, Butte Robbe Lindsay LB, Fullerton JC, Billings, MT

1 Point: Joe Easton WR, Sentinel Todd Foster OLB, Savage Jeff Neil WR, CMR HS Steve Redmond QB, Spokane, WA
Keith Tomlinson OG, Southwestern JC, Bonita, CA Scott Wales OG, DeAnza JC, San Jose, CA

Zero Points: Trent Holmes DE, Sentinel Sven Holt DE, Hamilton Chriss Kross FS, Burnham, IL Maurice Martin CB, Stockton JC, Stockton, CA Sean McNally OC, Antelope Valley CC, Palmdale, CA Ken Miller CB, Frenchtown Todd Sherman SS/LB, Yakima Valley College, Renton, WA Derek Whiddon TE/DB, Big Sky HS Vernon Willie LB, Porterville JC, Shiprock, NM

Trevathan at 4 and Foster with only 1 Pt. here seem low?

SoldierGriz said:
SaskGriz said:

1986 Recruiting Class 27/32 SCORE: 1.969

5 Points: Matt Clark WR, Hellgate HS Jody Farmer FB, Libby Michael McGowan DB, Seattle, WA

4 Points: Demedric Cooks LB, San Jose CC, San Jose, CA Tony Lambert WR, Walla Walla JC, Steilacoom, WA Greg Nygren DB, College of the Redwoods, Grants Pass, OR Mike Trevathan DB, Thousand Oaks, CA

I couldn't find any record of Trevathan making being an All-Big Sky selection; conceding that records from back then are harder to find. Todd Foster is probably not who you are thinking of. Pat Foster was the All-American DE from Savage who was drafted by the Rams, I think Todd might have been his little brother. There is also a Todd Foster who played football at CMR but is better known as an Olympic welterweight boxer who won his first 22 as a pro and once fought Hector "Macho" Camacho.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Trevathan was an All-American in 1990.
You are 100% correct, don't know how I missed that.

I made the change and recalculated the score, not sure if it moves the class from 27th, don't have that info at work with me.

This is especially embarrassing as I once played in a soccer tournament with Mike (and yeah, we won)

On venerable Don Read’s first team in 1986 – he now was listed at 170-lb – and although a walk-on came out of spring ball at the top of the depth chart and quickly earned a starting cornerback slot.

After starting all 11 games in 1987 (now wearing the legendary legacy No. 37) and trailing only veteran All-League choice Mike Rankin in tackling, he was accorded honorable mention All-Conference status and awarded the Golden Helmet as the team’s most vicious tackler.

https://www.mtfootballhof.com/tim-hauck

Tim Hauck walked on but I think technically was part of this "recruiting class" too.

Mousegriz said:
On venerable Don Read’s first team in 1986 – he now was listed at 170-lb – and although a walk-on came out of spring ball at the top of the depth chart and quickly earned a starting cornerback slot.

After starting all 11 games in 1987 (now wearing the legendary legacy No. 37) and trailing only veteran All-League choice Mike Rankin in tackling, he was accorded honorable mention All-Conference status and awarded the Golden Helmet as the team’s most vicious tackler.

https://www.mtfootballhof.com/tim-hauck

Tim Hauck walked on but I think technically was part of this "recruiting class" too.
Tim isn't listed on '86 roster or in the "New Griz" section of the '86 media. He doesn't show up until the '87 roster, when his write up clearly states he walked on the year before. The problem is, even though that one is obvious, to confirm 32 seasons of rosters vs write ups after already comparing 32 seasons of rosters and 32 seasons of year end stats, and trying to figure out who started, who was All Big Sky and who vanished like D.B. Cooper, would have been too onerous for this humble scribe.

This is a cop out but for the sake of consistency I chose to go with what season they first appeared on the roster or were listed as a recruit in the media guide.

SaskGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:
I couldn't find any record of Trevathan making being an All-Big Sky selection; conceding that records from back then are harder to find. Todd Foster is probably not who you are thinking of. Pat Foster was the All-American DE from Savage who was drafted by the Rams, I think Todd might have been his little brother. There is also a Todd Foster who played football at CMR but is better known as an Olympic welterweight boxer who won his first 22 as a pro and once fought Hector "Macho" Camacho.

Yes.. confused Todd with Pat, they are brothers. Trevathan should be higher...was sure he earned all conference at some point.

Back