• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New TV Contract

grizpsych

https://gogriz.com/news/2022/5/18/football-big-sky-conference-games-to-air-on-scripps-television-stations.aspx

Hey all of those that have counted on me in the past. This deal may make it impossible for me to continue.

Cheers,

grizpsych

Wowza, further illustrates why it the Big Sigh Conference
:roll:

If not for the 2 Montana schools... radio would be only option for most Big Sigh games ;)

coyote said:
Still on ESPN+
Looked up the new contract-holder, E. W. Scripps Company. Aside from local TV stations, they broadcast through something called ION. That shows up on DirecTV at channels 305-307. (On Dish 250, I believe). Right now their programming is all "law enforcement" shows (Blue Bloods, NCIS, etc.) I assume they plan to widen their offerings into sports now, but we probably won't know about possible Big Sky football until we get closer to fall.

Scripps will broadcast on CBS, NBC and CW TV stations in Montana. The games will also still be on ESPN+.

IdaGriz01 said:
coyote said:
Still on ESPN+
Looked up the new contract-holder, E. W. Scripps Company. Aside from local TV stations, they broadcast through something called ION. That shows up on DirecTV at channels 305-307. (On Dish 250, I believe). Right now their programming is all "law enforcement" shows (Blue Bloods, NCIS, etc.) I assume they plan to widen their offerings into sports now, but we probably won't know about possible Big Sky football until we get closer to fall.

You'll never see a Griz game on Ion TV.

grizpsych said:
IdaGriz01 said:

You'll never see a GRIZ game on TV, period. Because no one has ever heard of this network. The one and only chance this POS conference has to showcase itself is with the Brawl, and now absolutely no one who doesn't already care will ever see the game.

I knew I'd heard the name ION before. It's one of the over-the-air channels I can pick up in the Seattle area...but usually bypassed as not having much quality programming. Looks as if for some reason it isn't on ESPN+, I'll be climbing up on the roof and pointing my antenna towards Bellevue.

EverettGriz said:
grizpsych said:

You'll never see a GRIZ game on TV, period. Because no one has ever heard of this network. The one and only chance this POS conference has to showcase itself is with the Brawl, and now absolutely no one who doesn't already care will ever see the game.

ESPN+

rgrizfan said:
EverettGriz said:

ESPN+

Right. And that's great. I love the +.

But where is the exposure for the conference? I can watch CAA and MAC games all day long on CBS Sports from Seattle. THAT'S how you build support for your conference, not by showing games on... what is it again, Scripps?

This explains it. it appears to be overall better coverage as Scripps owns local stations. All games will also be on ESPN+.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/big-sky-conference-games-to-air-on-scripps-television-stations/article_b5503c87-c6ad-54a0-9420-1c52926cfa75.html#tncms-source=infinity-scroll-summary-siderail-latest

Welp time to drop my Direct TV finally. Only reason I had it was for ROOT and no need for it now. Looks like only ESPN+ for me as i do not live in one of these markets. They plan to use local broadcasters and its quality as ell. This feels like a step backwards to me.

kemajic said:
EverettGriz said:
You'll never see a GRIZ game on TV, period. Because no one has ever heard of this network.
I thought it was just dinosaur me.
Same here. I had to look them (ION) and the company (Scripps) up. It wasn't easy, but they are a pretty big company and have been around for a long, long time (1878):
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is a diversified media company focused on creating a better-informed world. As the nation’s fourth-largest local TV broadcaster, Scripps serves communities with quality, objective local journalism and operates a portfolio of 61 stations in 41 markets. The Scripps Networks reach nearly every American through the national news outlets Court TV and Newsy and popular entertainment brands ION, Bounce, Grit, ION Mystery, Laff, TrueReal and Defy TV. Scripps is the nation’s largest holder of broadcast spectrum. ...
In terms of things we might know, their main claim to fame seems to be that they've sponsored the National Spelling Bee for umpteen years (couldn't find an exact number). None of those "brands" they tout offer any sports that I could find. They obviously haven't tried to go head-to-head with the big sports providers, but maybe that has changed. We shall see.

bigsky33 said:
This explains it. it appears to be overall better coverage as Scripps owns local stations. All games will also be on ESPN+.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/big-sky-conference-games-to-air-on-scripps-television-stations/article_b5503c87-c6ad-54a0-9420-1c52926cfa75.html#tncms-source=infinity-scroll-summary-siderail-latest

Uh, that's word for word the release Psych linked.

I'm just glad that the Big Sky finally figured out how to retain the digital rights so that all games can be on ESPN+ without any blackouts.

Scripps lists “local media operations” through 61 TV stations. I looked over their list and found many in or near the Big Sky footprint: Bakersfield (KERO, KZKC), Billings (KTVQ), Boise (KIVI), Butte/Bozeman (KXLF/KBZK), Colorado springs (KOAA), Denver (KMGH, KCDO, KZCO), Great Falls (KTGF, KRTV), Helena (KTVH, KXLH), Las Vegas (KTNV), Missoula (KPAX, KAJ), Phoenix (KASW, KNVX), Salt Lake City (KSTU), San Luis Obispo (KSBY), Twin Falls (KSAW).

Which ones, if any, will actually broadcast Big Sky games remains to be seen. Out of luck here in IF ... we don't get either Idaho station.

IdaGriz01 said:
Scripps lists “local media operations” through 61 TV stations. I looked over their list and found many in or near the Big Sky footprint: Bakersfield (KERO, KZKC), Billings (KTVQ), Boise (KIVI), Butte/Bozeman (KXLF/KBZK), Colorado springs (KOAA), Denver (KMGH, KCDO, KZCO), Great Falls (KTGF, KRTV), Helena (KTVH, KXLH), Las Vegas (KTNV), Missoula (KPAX, KAJ), Phoenix (KASW, KNVX), Salt Lake City (KSTU), San Luis Obispo (KSBY), Twin Falls (KSAW).

Which ones, if any, will actually broadcast Big Sky games remains to be seen. Out of luck here in IF ... we don't get either Idaho station.

You can still see all games on espn+

Back