• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UC Davis to change Mascot to a cow

RayWill

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/...4Awd_W1_AG-qKb2QEiwTIzJOovyFRTPOlOnHwjRWHHFLo

After a push from students to change the school’s mascot, UC Davis will no longer have Gunrock the Mustang roaming the sidelines. Instead, the mascot will be a cow. The movement saw the creation of the Cow4Mascot campaign, which was organized by Mick Hashimoto. The campaign won 2,532 votes on Monday as part of the Northern California school's 2022 student elections.

“I completely do not think it represents any part of our school,” Hashimoto said via sfgate.com. “Like, ‘old elite’ is how a thoroughbred racing horse can be described as, whereas currently with the UC Davis students, we're all just genuinely hardworking people coming from different walks of life with a lot of diversity. ”

An important piece of the campaign’s message was bargaining for a mascot that “everyone can resonate with.” There are still steps to be taken, but Aggie the Cow will likely be the new name for the soon-to-be-changed mascot.

Article then goes on to talk about how there is a bill before the California sate legislature that would require Football and Basketball at all California Universities to split 50% of proceeds with the players max of $25,000 per player per year and all funds forfeit if they do not graduate and complete the degree.

California state legislators proposed a bill that would require schools in the state to split 50% of its athletic revenue in football and both men's and women's basketball with the athletes, according to The Los Angeles Times. Senate Bill 1401, titled as the “College Athlete Race and Gender Equity Act," was passed through the California Senate education and judiciary committees and now sits with the appropriations committee, who were set to consider this week whether the bill will reach the Senate floor in Sacramento, per The Times.

.....man this takes the Great Replacement to a whole new level...I didnt know mascots were in the
cross hairs :eek:

I like it... UC Davis is an Ag school. What better mascot than a cow.
I also love the idea of splitting the profits with the student athletes.

Beats the hell out of what Oregon's flagship universities have for mascots? Do you know what it's like when the big zero, otherwise known as Phil Knight university, plays USC? Hilarious. Or how about Santa Cruz?

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Beats the hell out of what Oregon's flagship universities have for mascots? Do you know what it's like when the big zero, otherwise known as Phil Knight university, plays USC? Hilarious. Or how about Santa Cruz?

Or South Carolina. Goooooo Cocks lol

RayWill said:
https://247sports.com/college/ucla/...4Awd_W1_AG-qKb2QEiwTIzJOovyFRTPOlOnHwjRWHHFLo

After a push from students to change the school’s mascot, UC Davis will no longer have Gunrock the Mustang roaming the sidelines. Instead, the mascot will be a cow. The movement saw the creation of the Cow4Mascot campaign, which was organized by Mick Hashimoto. The campaign won 2,532 votes on Monday as part of the Northern California school's 2022 student elections.

“I completely do not think it represents any part of our school,” Hashimoto said via sfgate.com. “Like, ‘old elite’ is how a thoroughbred racing horse can be described as, whereas currently with the UC Davis students, we're all just genuinely hardworking people coming from different walks of life with a lot of diversity. ”

An important piece of the campaign’s message was bargaining for a mascot that “everyone can resonate with.” There are still steps to be taken, but Aggie the Cow will likely be the new name for the soon-to-be-changed mascot.

Article then goes on to talk about how there is a bill before the California sate legislature that would require Football and Basketball at all California Universities to split 50% of proceeds with the players max of $25,000 per player per year and all funds forfeit if they do not graduate and complete the degree.

California state legislators proposed a bill that would require schools in the state to split 50% of its athletic revenue in football and both men's and women's basketball with the athletes, according to The Los Angeles Times. Senate Bill 1401, titled as the “College Athlete Race and Gender Equity Act," was passed through the California Senate education and judiciary committees and now sits with the appropriations committee, who were set to consider this week whether the bill will reach the Senate floor in Sacramento, per The Times.

Isn’t South Park Elementary the “fighting cows”

Jesse said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Or South Carolina. Goooooo Cocks lol

Interesting matchups include Morehead and Ball State. What about Orofino High School's mascot. Our own lovely town of Belfry or for that matter, Chinook?

“I completely do not think it represents any part of our school,” Hashimoto said via sfgate.com. “Like, ‘old elite’ is how a thoroughbred racing horse can be described as, whereas currently with the UC Davis students, we're all just genuinely hardworking people coming from different walks of life with a lot of diversity.”

:? I mean, they can choose any mascot and I wouldn't really care but can we appreciate the irony between the reasoning and the new choice?

Cows are typically one of the laziest animals that exist and are less diverse than mustangs (mustangs just means wild horse so they can be anything from a mini horse to a Clydesdale, they can be either gender whereas cows are only female and excludes male representation, and mustangs have more varied appearances/colors than cows).

Great advertisement for the "thinking" done at UC Davis. I was always taught California's state abbreviation was CA, but come to find out it's actually SMH.

Jesse said:
RayWill said:

Isn’t South Park Elementary the “fighting cows”

South Park’s mascot was a cow but it was found to be too offensive, so the children were forced to vote for a new mascot. There were only two candidates: Giant Douche vs. Turd Sandwich
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E7pfsneLSSM

I’m definitely missing something here. The Aggies are switching from a horse mascot to a cow mascot, and it’s somehow political or PC motivated? Has anyone actually been to Davis? One could say there are a few cows around.

CDAGRIZ said:
I’m definitely missing something here. The Aggies are switching from a horse mascot to a cow mascot, and it’s somehow political or PC motivated? Has anyone actually been to Davis? One could say there are a few cows around.

I didn't think it was PC or politically motivated just seemed a dumb mascot.

RayWill said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I didn't think it was PC or politically motivated just seemed a dumb mascot.

Got it, thx. Some of the replies were puzzling.

Back