• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Crew

I’d figure swim and dive 1st. Do we have a club swim and dive? I don’t even know. Plus, it’d be hard for the Griz to crew practice in the Clark Fork.

alabamagrizzly said:
I’d figure swim and dive 1st. Do we have a club swim and dive? I don’t even know. Plus, it’d be hard for the Griz to crew practice in the Clark Fork.
Easier than the Gallatin, but MSU does have the shit pond.

UM had a crew team for a king time as a club sport. I don’t think the club has been active since about 2015 but I could be wrong. It seems like around 2006 they were competitive nationally. For some reason it sticks in my mind playerrep or someone in his family was involved but I could be wrong about that as well.

My guess is UM is closer to adding a surfing squad than crew squad but who knows.

Grizbeer said:
UM had a crew team for a king time as a club sport. I don’t think the club has been active since about 2015 but I could be wrong. It seems like around 2006 they were competitive nationally. For some reason it sticks in my mind playerrep or someone in his family was involved but I could be wrong about that as well.

My guess is UM is closer to adding a surfing squad than crew squad but who knows.

Where did they practice? Flathead?

Griz til I die said:
I feel like if we were to add anything, the next sport would be Baseball or mens Golf.

Maybe we should add Lacrosse, given how successful the club team is.

Griz til I die said:
I feel like if we were to add anything, the next sport would be Baseball or mens Golf.

UM had Baseball in the dark ages when I was there. It would be good to have again.

alabamagrizzly said:
Grizbeer said:

Where did they practice? Flathead?

Salmon Lake or whatever that little pond outside of Seeley Lake is called. They used the Washington's place if memory serves me correctly.

Spanky2 said:
Griz til I die said:

UM had Baseball in the dark ages when I was there. It would be good to have again.

Title IX challenges with baseball. No such issue with wrestling. Girls wrestling is among (if not the) fastest growing sports.

...and crew and bobcats suck.

SoldierGriz said:
Spanky2 said:

Title IX challenges with baseball. No such issue with wrestling. Girls wrestling is among (if not the) fastest growing sports.

Interestingly (at least to me) is that women’s crew is a well-known Title IX workaround for some PAC schools. Or, at least it used to be. Like 40 woman teams. Some schools would over-recruit, over-sign, and then cut half the team after scholarship reporting. I don’t know if it’s still done that way. Not crew, but I have a female friend who went to Stanford on a sailing scholarship. Sailing.

i thought the title of this thread was a sneaky way to create a new post about zak croos (see what i did there?) so the mods couldn't lock it up again. FREEDOM!

kemajic said:
alabamagrizzly said:

This point it slept on. The calm and tepid waters of the SP would be a perfect practice and competition venue.

CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:

This point it slept on. The calm and tepid waters of the SP would be a perfect practice and competition venue.

Until the entire floor in one of the dorms gets food poisoning and everyone has to flush at the same time.

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:

Interestingly (at least to me) is that women’s crew is a well-known Title IX workaround for some PAC schools. Or, at least it used to be. Like 40 woman teams. Some schools would over-recruit, over-sign, and then cut half the team after scholarship reporting. I don’t know if it’s still done that way. Not crew, but I have a female friend who went to Stanford on a sailing scholarship. Sailing.

Still happens. Know a girl...pretty good cross country runner. She was recruited by a Big 12 crew coach. She had never been in a boat before. Crazy.

Back