• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Idaho 2022 Season Preview

Griz til I die

DONOR
Hope everyone had a good weekend! We are rolling on with our season previews and will now preview the 2022 Vandy's squad. We finally have a changing of the guard in Moscow with Jason Eck taking over as the new head coach as the Vandy's finally had the courage to step up and fire Paul Petrino. Vandy's fans seem very excited about Jason Eck, and understandably so as he led one of the most prolific offenses in college football for the past 3 seasons as OC (and the prior 3 as O-line) at South Dakota State. With that, let's dive in!

September 3 @ Washington State - L. The Vandy's will hit the road about 5 miles west for a week 1 showdown for the battle of the palouse when they take on the Cougs. Like the Vandy's, the Cougs are also coming off of a coaching change after promoting DC Jake Dickert to head coach. The Cougs got crushed in the transfer portal this offseason after the coaching change. Dickert may have a little bit of a re-build on his hands this season, so don't be surprised if Idaho keeps it close, but the Cougs will prevail.

September 10 @ Indiana - L. Yes, you're seeing that correctly. For the second consecutive season, the Vandy's will once again go back to Bloomington to face the Hoosiers. They lost 56-14 last year, but I do think they will make it a better game this year, but they're still not gonna win. Baby steps!

September 17 vs. Drake - W. This will be the Vandy's first FCS non-conference game since they dropped down and joined the Big Sky in 2018. Prior to this game, they had only played either FBS teams or D2 teams. They welcome in what I think is a much improving Drake team. I don't think the Bulldogs will win the Pioneer League this year, but they are definitely trending in the right direction. That being said, it's the Vandy's home opener with their new coach, and they win this game by 17+.

September 24 @ Northern Arizona - L. I'm a big fan of this Jacks team this year. I think they've got all the pieces to make the playoffs this year, and with the Vandy's having 3 of their first 4 games on the road, it's a tough way to start your season. I do expect this to be a close game, but I like NAU at home in this one.

October 1 vs. Northern Colorado - W. Things will be much more kind to the Vandy's as the calendar turns to October. There's way too much turmoil going on with this UNC team, and the Vandy's should have no problem with the Bears at home.

October 8 BYE. Just like the Griz, the Vandy's will get 2 weeks to prepare for the Griz. Didn't realize that was the case. You don't see this happen very often.

October 15 @ Montana - L. This will be a good measuring stick game for the Vandy's. By no means do I think they will win this game, however depending on how close they can keep it, and if they are able to move the ball a little bit on our defense, then I think Vandy's fans can start to believe that they are turning the corner. I personally believe this will be one of the 2 Big Sky games ESPN will select to broadcast on ESPNU/ESPN2. This would be a great one as it's a rivalry game with 2 very good fan bases and 2 programs on the rise. All that said, the Griz are gonna win this game.

October 22 vs. Portland State - W. Barny's crew has always played pretty well in the Kibbie Dome, but I don't think they stand a chance in this one. Vandy's roll.

October 29 @ Sacramento State - L. I don't know why, but I feel like this is gonna be a close game. Something's telling me to pick the Vandy's in this game as they might play spoiler, but I'm not ready to pull the trigger on the Vandy's winning this game. Maybe if it was in Moscow. Give me SAC in a close one.

November 5 vs. Eastern Washington - W. I said last week that I think Eastern will lose this game, and I stand by that prediction. The Kibbie Dome has been a house of horrors for Eastern, and I fully expect the Vandy's to win this game. Feel free to come back and roast me hard for this one if I end up being wrong.

November 12 vs. UC Davis - L. I really don't know what to think of Davis this upcoming season. Was last year just a fluke, or are they turning the corner? I think Hawkins is a good coach, Ulonzo Gilliam is returning, but Hunter Rodrigues chose to move on. Miles Hastings is the projected starter as he got a ton of action last season while Rodrigues was hurt. I'll take Davis in a close one, but I do think this is a 50-50 game.

November 19 @ Idaho State - W. The Battle of the Domes. Vandy's should have no problem in this one.

-------------------------------------------------------

I got Idaho going 5-6. I think they're getting closer, but it will still be a bit of a re-build this year in Moscow. I have no idea who the QB is gonna be this year. My guess would be CJ Jordan, but I really have no idea. Look for the Vandy's to turn the corner in 2023 and contend for a playoff spot though. That's my prediction! Thoughts?

https://govandals.com/news/2022/6/14/vandal-football-adds-three-transfers.aspx
Well, turns out all I had to do was wait one more day to get the answer to the QB question. The Vandy's landed former SDSU standout J'Bore Gibbs. IDK how many of you remember Gibbs at SDSU, but as Freshmen in 2019, he was really good. That was also Trey Lance's Freshmen year at NDSU and I remember thinking to myself that the NDSU-SDSU rivalry was going to be really good for years to come. Injuries have not been kind to Gibbs as he tore his ACL midway through the 2019 season, ironically against NDSU. He then tore his other ACL during the Spring 2021 season. What looked to be a very promising career for Gibbs at SDSU, was all but destroyed by injuries. This has the potential to be an instant upgrade and all-around massive pickup for Idaho if Gibbs can stay healthy. We'll just have to see how his health holds up.

Griz til I die said:
https://govandals.com/news/2022/6/14/vandal-football-adds-three-transfers.aspx
Well, turns out all I had to do was wait one more day to get the answer to the QB question. The Vandy's landed former SDSU standout J'Bore Gibbs. IDK how many of you remember Gibbs at SDSU, but as Freshmen in 2019, he was really good. That was also Trey Lance's Freshmen year at NDSU and I remember thinking to myself that the NDSU-SDSU rivalry was going to be really good for years to come. Injuries have not been kind to Gibbs as he tore his ACL midway through the 2019 season, ironically against NDSU. He then tore his other ACL during the Spring 2021 season. What looked to be a very promising career for Gibbs at SDSU, was all but destroyed by injuries. This has the potential to be an instant upgrade and all-around massive pickup for Idaho if Gibbs can stay healthy. We'll just have to see how his health holds up.

Haven’t they picked up a number of quality transfers this off-season? I think I saw they also landed a transfer LB from Norte Dame as well

I don't think they'll win the conference, and I think they'll struggle early, but I think they'll turn it on late, win one or two games they "shouldn't", and wouldn't be shocked if they finished the season after our game against them on a 4-1 or so run.

...or the new staff and players won't matter at all, and they'll go 2-9. Who can say? :lol:

Back