• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Idaho State 2022 Season Preview

Griz til I die

DONOR
Hope everyone had a happy Fathers Day! We now move on to Idaho State in our Big Sky previews. It's a new era in Poky as Rob Phenicie (now with the Griz) was let go as head coach, and replaced by Cal Special Teams Coordinator Charlie Ragle. Ragle has long coveted a head coaching job in the Big Sky. He was a finalist for both the msu and NAU head jobs but got passed over for both of them. I think Ragle was a home run hire for ISU, they seriously could not have done any better than they did. That said, it will be a bit of a re-build (as it seemingly is every year), but I do think within a couple years, ISU may be competitive. With that, let's dive in:

August 27 @ UNLV - L. I need to double check this, but I believe ISU is the only Big Sky team that plays on week 0. They're taking on a UNLV squad that's coming off a loss to a Big Sky team just last season (EWU). However, the Rebels will bounce back this year and not lose to the Bengals. I think the Rebels win big!

September 3 BYE. 2 bye weeks for ISU may come in handy this year.

September 10 @ San Diego State - L. I really don't know what to think about SDSU this year. They lost their stud RB Greg Bell to the NFL, and their other RB transferred to msu, and I think they may end up regretting shoving Lucas Johnson and Jordon Brookshire out the door. They did bring in Virginia Tech transfer Braxton Burmeister who had a good season with the Hokies, so he may end up being their scapegoat. Despite how good or bad the Aztecs are this year, they'll win big in this one!

September 17 vs. Central Arkansas - L. Not quite sure how they convinced UCA to come to Poky, but good for them landing this game. The Bears had a disappointing season last year, but I do think they'll contend for the ASUN-WAC with Kennesaw and Stephen F Austin. Will McElvain is a good QB, and I expect him to do well at UCA. Bears will roll in this one.

September 24 @ Northern Colorado - L. Jesus, idk what to do in this one. I guess I'll give UNC the edge since they're at home.

October 1 vs. Montana - L. Our first trip to Holt Arena since 2017. This is the only place in the Big Sky that Bobby has not been to since making his return to UM, and I expect there to be a lot of fireworks in this one from UM. I say we win by 24+.

October 8 @ Montana State - L. Tough draw getting the Montana schools back-to-back weeks. Second consecutive year they'll go to Bozeman too. ISU played the cats pretty tough last year, but I would be shocked if they won this game. No problem for the cats at home in this one.

October 15 vs. Cal Poly - L. Last year I think ISU could've won this game. This year, I don't think they will win this game. I think it could be close, but they'll end up losing.

October 22 vs. Northern Arizona - L. Ya, I don't see how they win this game.

October 29 BYE. Normally a late bye week is not a bad thing, however just you wait and see the 3 games they close with.

November 5 @ UC Davis - L. For some reason, ISU matches up very well against Davis. They beat them last year in Poky, and they have always played pretty tough in Davis. That being said, ISU beating Davis last year was a fluke, it will not happen this year.

November 12 @ Weber State - L. Ogden's been a house of horrors for ISU. No chance in this one.

November 19 vs. Idaho - L. The Vandy's will be a much improved Football team. They should easily win this one.

--------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to retract my earlier statement about PSU being the worst team in the conference, because I see no way they're gonna be worse than ISU at a whopping 0-11. I'm sorry but you tell me who the fuck they're gonna beat on this schedule. The only game I think they may have a chance in is UNC and maybe Cal Poly. The only thing they got going for themselves is Tyler Vander Waal is a decent QB, and maybe he can power them to 2 wins. That's my prediction! Thoughts?

0-11 seems a bit optimistic ... I still think there is a good chance that after the MSU game they no-show for the rest of the season and save the travel money!

GrizTexas said:
0-11 seems a bit optimistic ... I still think there is a good chance that after the MSU game they no-show for the rest of the season and save the travel money!
No doubt travel costs will be up this year.

Kind of like the EWU prediction for them having a losing record, you are slightly of on this one as well. Zero chance the go winless in 2022. I am not ripping on you for your predictions, you are doing them pretty good and getting pretty close. Just weighing in with my $.02 on how things will really play out.

poorgriz said:
Kind of like the EWU prediction for them having a losing record, you are slightly of on this one as well. Zero chance the go winless in 2022. I am not ripping on you for your predictions, you are doing them pretty good and getting pretty close. Just weighing in with my $.02 on how things will really play out.
That's what this thread is for! Debate and disagreement. Which game(s) do you see them winning?

Griz til I die said:
poorgriz said:
That's what this thread is for! Debate and disagreement. Which game(s) do you see them winning?

I think they split CP and UNC.

Only on egriz could someone make a statment that ISU hired a great new coach. Then in the exact same post pick the to go 0 - 11.

grizingatorland said:
Only on egriz could someone make a statment that ISU hired a great new coach. Then in the exact same post pick the to go 0 - 11.
You apparently did not read the entire post did you? Go back and re-read it.

Griz til I die said:
poorgriz said:

They'll beat UNCNCU because they are a dumpster fire shitshow. Then I'd guess they'll jump up and surprise some teams because ISU has some decent talent. Probably Idaho or CP... or hell, they might jump out of the gate and beat UNLV being the first game and all. My prediction is they win two games in 2022.

poorgriz said:
Zero chance they go winless in 2022.
Sounds like you know from experience how difficult it really is to go an entire season without winning a single game.
Glad I will never know that heartache

Griz til I die said:
Charlie Ragle. Ragle has long coveted a head coaching job in the Big Sky. He was a finalist for both the msu and NAU head jobs but got passed over for both of them. I think Ragle was a home run hire for ISU, THEY SERIOUSLY COULD NOT HAVE DONE ANY BETTER THAN THEY DID.

THAT, I definitely agree with. Here's his coaching history:

*Season: Team – Position (Champions, Postseason)
2000: Moon Valley HS – Defensive Coordinator
2001: Moon Valley HS – Defensive Coordinator
2002: Moon Valley HS – Defensive Coordinator (4A State Playoffs)
2003: Moon Valley HS – Defensive Coordinator (4A State Playoffs)
2004: Moon Valley HS – Defensive Coordinator (4A State Champion)
2005: Chaparral HS – Defensive Coordinator (4A Division I State Playoffs)
2006: Arizona State – Graduate Assistant, Offensive Line/Special Teams (Hawai'i Bowl)
2007: Chaparral HS – Head Coach (4A Division I State Playoffs)
2008: Chaparral HS – Head Coach (4A Division I State Playoffs)
2009: Chaparral HS – Head Coach (AIA 5A Division II State Champion)
2010: Chaparral HS – Head Coach (AIA 5A Division II State Champion)
2011: Chaparral HS – Head Coach (AIA Division II State Champion)
2012: Arizona – Assistant Director of Operations (New Mexico Bowl)
2013: Arizona – Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends (Independence Bowl)
2014: Arizona – Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends (Fiesta Bowl)
2015: Arizona – Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends (New Mexico Bowl)
2016: Arizona – Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends
2017: California – Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends
2018: California – Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends (Cheez-It Bowl)
2019: California – Special Teams Coordinator (Redbox Bowl)
2020: California – Special Teams Coordinator
2021: California – Special Teams Coordinator
*Season in which postseason games were played

Special teams coordinator in college. Ooooo! Sign him up, QUICK! But, this IS Idaho State, and its in Pocatello. Two strikes against the guy right off the bat. Phenicie managed one win last year. ISU can't/won't upgrade their facilities. They get between 4-9,000 'fans' to home games, counting kids, which in this area is a large number. The three counties of Bonneville, Bingham, and Bannock have a population of about 250,000, yet can only draw up to 9,000, even for the Mormon Bowl(Weber State). ISU just gave just gave Ragle a revolver and one bullet, and told him to make the best use of it as he sees it.

garizzalies said:
poorgriz said:
Zero chance they go winless in 2022.
Sounds like you know from experience how difficult it really is to go an entire season without winning a single game.

It was painful! Thank God those days are gone forever...

(Pssst... the griz have had zero win seasons too...) :thumb:

poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

(Pssst... the griz have had zero win seasons too...) :thumb:
Not since 1958 :lol:

poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Forever? Forever ever? I don’t think so.
Any team running the triple option is a sprained ankle away from a disastrous season. catz’’s nc game was a microcosm.

garizzalies said:
poorgriz said:
Any team running the triple option is a sprained ankle away from a disastrous season. catz’’s nc game was a microcosm.

lol. Triple option? If you think the MSU Bobcats could possibly go winless in the next few decades, you're high. Powerful program.

poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

lol. Triple option? If you think the MSU Bobcats could possibly go winless in the next few decades, you're high.
No just realistic. The catz”s overall record is just barely over five-hundred, they went winless recently when they had a new coach, and they lost a ton this year like multiple former starting QBs with remaining eligibility, including one mid-season and probably the best coach and player combo they’ve ever had. Plus they run the triple option in blustery bozo

poorgriz said:
Triple option?
Yeah that’s what the gimmicky offense you guys run is called. The QB has the option to (1) hand it off to one guy, (2) hand it off to another guy, or (3) keep it. Thus, triumvirate!
It’s like the FB version of the three card monte if you were 8yrs old.

garizzalies said:
poorgriz said:
Triple option?
Yeah that’s what the gimmicky offense you guys run is called. The QB has the option to (1) hand it off to one guy, (2) hand it off to another guy, or (3) keep it. Thus, triumvirate!
It’s like the FB version of the three card monte if you were 8yrs old.

C’mon, man. You can’t just disparage a proud-ish program that has averaged like 87 passing yards per game over the last five years like that. They do all they can with what they have in the locker room.

CDA is correct. It's really a quadruple option. Along with hand off A option, hand off B option, and keep option, there is also the short-hop the receiver running the 6 yard out on 3rd and 13 option.

Back