• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What If Montana and Montana State got a Pac-12 Invite?

Do you think Montana and Montana State would be ready if the Pac-12 Conference sent invites to join?

• Yes

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Yes, but we fit better in FCS.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • FTC!

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

timjayko

I just found out USC and UCLA football programs are leaving the PAC-12 for the Big-10 in 2024.

timjayko said:
I just found out USC and UCLA football programs are leaving the PAC-12 for the Big-10 in 2024.
Glad you're catching up. That was announced in June.

kemajic said:
timjayko said:

Thanks, and my bad being late to post about this. I personally would be super excited if THE University of Montana (and that other montana state junior college in bozeman) got a a PAC-12 invite. I think it would be a great fit, but I might be a little biased lol. I'm curious what everyone else's thoughts on a PAC-12 move up in 2024 would be ? Was this subject talked about in a prior thread?

HelenaHandBasket said:
Total fantasy. I have a better chance of winning the next 10 Powerball drawings.

If you're probability calculations are correct, then I'd suggest you go buy some Powerball tickets today. The Montana market might not be big based on population density of course, but Montana football as a program has seemed to generally attract viewers decently when aired on ESPN/ESPN 2 national TV (at least in the FCS playoffs). Plus, Griz are still relishing in the upset of the Huskies last year (maybe we could play in the Pac-12 and at least compete for bowl games). I know, Huskies were definitely way overrated in the preseason polls but we still beat a Pac-12 school. Lastly, Montana is the last best place after all, with a population growth rate that some predict could turn Montana into the next "Colorodo"). Not a bad selling proposition for the PAC-12 to consider. Building for the future.

HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:

Says the dude who can’t figure out how to click on a Twitter story ;)
I could figure it out if I was motivated to do anything Twitter. I'm not.

timjayko said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Total fantasy. I have a better chance of winning the next 10 Powerball drawings.

If you're probability calculations are correct, then I'd suggest you go buy some Powerball tickets today. The Montana market might not be big based on population density of course, but Montana football as a program has seemed to generally attract viewers decently when aired on ESPN/ESPN 2 national TV (at least in the FCS playoffs). Plus, Griz are still relishing in the upset of the Huskies last year (maybe we could play in the Pac-12 and at least compete for bowl games). I know, Huskies were definitely way overrated in the preseason polls but we still beat a Pac-12 school. Lastly, Montana is the last best place after all, with a population growth rate that some predict could turn Montana into the next "Colorodo"). Not a bad selling proposition for the PAC-12 to consider. Building for the future.

Serious question here Tim, but why would the Pac12 look to UM/MSU when they can pluck any of the schools from the MWC or possibly join forces with the remaining Big12 schools? You are either being very sarcastic or have zero grasp on reality.

Why would we join the PAC-12 ? Too few Montana players on our team. We wouldn’t have the play-offs and we would lose a lot of games.

On par with "What if pigs could fly..."
Montana schools would be the perennial cellar dwellers. What would the attendance be at WGS for that shit show?
4,000 - 5,000? A neighbor once said of the Seattle Mariners, "They are terrible, but they sure play some good teams." :lol:

HelenaHandBasket said:

If I won the next ten powerball drawings Griz would be joing the SEC and I would Finance it!

Spanky2 said:
Why would we join the PAC-12 ? Too few Montana players on our team. We wouldn’t have the play-offs and we would lose a lot of games.

Yeah why join the Pac-12, it would be so terrible to have to host home games against an Oregon Duck or Utah Ute football team, no one in Missoula would ever want to attend that game. Oh, and no high school football players in Montana would join a school like Montana if they were in the Pac-12 and have to play Oregon or Utah at Washington-Grizzly stadium. Terrible recruiting sales pitch, isn't it.

I guess the University of Montana football program should just sit in its quasi-comfortable FCS shell. If the Pac-12 came knocking we shouldn't answer the door, because it might be too hard and we could lose more football games in a season.

timjayko said:
Spanky2 said:

Yeah why join the Pac-12, it would be so terrible to have to host home games against an Oregon Duck or Utah Ute football team, no one in Missoula would ever want to attend that game. Oh, and no high school football players in Montana would join a school like Montana if they were in the Pac-12 and have to play Oregon or Utah at Washington-Grizzly stadium. Terrible recruiting sales pitch, isn't it.

I guess the University of Montana football program should just sit in its quasi-comfortable FCS shell. If the Pac-12 came knocking we shouldn't answer the door, because it might be too hard and we could lose more football games in a season.

It is all about the money. The Montana schools, although both have a good following, are not even anywhere close to being in a market that would be attractive to the PAC 12. My take is the PAC 12 will fold as now member schools will be going to the Big 10 or Big 12.

grizindabox said:
timjayko said:

Serious question here Tim, but why would the Pac12 look to UM/MSU when they can pluck any of the schools from the MWC or possibly join forces with the remaining Big12 schools? You are either being very sarcastic or have zero grasp on reality.

Like I said in my original post: building for the future. Right now, Montana and Montana Montana state are not as attractive as a vast amount of other football programs when it comes to current prestige. It is probably a long shot that the Pac-12 would strongly consider adding Montana and Montana State at this point, but I wouldn't go as far to say that to believe in the possibility that Montana and Montana State would join the Pac-12 within the next five years = "zero grasp on reality".

timjayko said:
Spanky2 said:

It is all about the money. The Montana schools, although both have a good following, are not even anywhere close to being in a market that would be attractive to the PAC 12. My take is the PAC 12 will fold as now member schools will be going to the Big 10 or Big 12.

bigsky33 said:
timjayko said:

What makes you think that they will fold just from losing 2 schools? It used to be Pac-10 for many years. Yes the California market is giant but look at what USC and UCLA football has done over the last decade (or two)? The powerhouse programs from the last decade in the Pac-12 are still currently intact (Oregon, Utah etc). When is the last time USC or UCLA actually won the Pac-12 Football championship anyway ? I believe for USC it's 2008, and UCLA 1998?
Now if Oregon and/or Utah announce moving to another conference, then I would definitely agree that it could be bad news bears for the Pac-12 Football Conference.
Regarding your claim that Montana is not an attractive market for the Pac-12: see tweet below, PAC-12 Commisioner said he's interested in "our continued leadership position
in college football across western and mountain time zones"... Well, Montana = Mountain Time zone, what say you to that.
https://twitter.com/pac12/status/1553044300031823872?s=20&t=k41R0OI9jwlldqxMFdm7aQ

timjayko said:
grizindabox said:

Like I said in my original post: building for the future. Right now, Montana and Montana Montana state are not as attractive as a vast amount of other football programs when it comes to current prestige. It is probably a long shot that the Pac-12 would strongly consider adding Montana and Montana State at this point, but I wouldn't go as far to say that to believe in the possibility that Montana and Montana State would join the Pac-12 within the next five years = "zero grasp on reality".

So it is the reality thing. The Pac 12 will dissolve before offering membership to UM/MSU.

Scenario #1- There’s nowhere else to go, nobody else brings anything that adds value per school to a TV contract, so the Pac stays at 10. I’d give that a 45% chance.

Scenario #2- 4 schools go to the Big 10, prompting the Four Corner schools to go to the Big 12, which leaves Oregon State and Washington State inviting most of the Mountain West into the Pac. Eh, 40% chance.

Scenario #3- 2-3 schools go to the Big 10, Cal (which I’m guessing would be the left out) tries to create kind of a Pan American FBS Ivy League, otherwise the same results as Scenario #2. 6%.

All other possibilities 9%.

Montana needs the 9% to happen to come anywhere close to achieving the goal of a poster who should learn something about media contracts. And there’s only a 1% chance of that! (If you look up old Police Squad quotes, you’ll come closer to “understanding” the last sentence.)

Back