• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Running back rotation

heightsgriz

There are seven listed on the roster.
Just assume they all stay healthy this season, who gets the ball?
Who starts?
How do you rank the rest?
Who gets the call on 4th and one?
Will Gillman be in the mix this year?

I think we will see a steady diet of Knight and Ostmo more than the others. Xavier proved he can carry the rock too.

nzone said:
1. Knight
2. Knight
3. Otsmo, Harris, Childs
4. Knight, Otsmo
5. Don’t know..

This is where I’m at as well. I could see Harris moving into the #2 spot. Knight has bulked up and not sure our #1 & #2 back both need to be bruisers. I’m a sucker for a fast and shifty running back.

It's a good problem to have. That being said; last years injury situation has meant that at least two players; Harris and Childs and maybe Bergen as well, were used when during the course of normal service they might have red-shirted. However asking a healthy player to red-shirt after they've shown they can play can be tricky, especially with the transfer portal. (No more - my way or the highway stuff because now there actually is a highway).

So I'll go with;
Knight
Ostmo/Harris or Harris/Ostmo
Childs

I think Bergen see most of his reps in passing packages and is our primary punt returner.
Gillman red shirts - but thats hard to say because he looks the part physically and Bobby seems willing to let freshman play at RB almost more than any other position. That might be because of injury.
Janacaro gets ST work and scraps in our many blow out wins this year.

RainierGriz said:
nzone said:
1. Knight
2. Knight
3. Otsmo, Harris, Childs
4. Knight, Otsmo
5. Don’t know..

This is where I’m at as well. I could see Harris moving into the #2 spot. Knight has bulked up and not sure our #1 & #2 back both need to be bruisers. I’m a sucker for a fast and shifty running back.
You are mistaken if you think Knight will not be fast and shifty. He's a very special player. Green says he's even faster.

There is an opportunity to limit Harris to 4 games and RS the year. He could use a year to develop physically. I hope someone is thinking about that. I would also hope to see Gilman for 4 games.

RainierGriz said:
nzone said:
1. Knight
2. Knight
3. Otsmo, Harris, Childs
4. Knight, Otsmo
5. Don’t know..

Knight has bulked up but remains very lean. He is the fastest and shiftiest guy on the team too. If he is ready to go and healthy, he is the best option for every situation. Ostmo, if healthy is a very nice compliment. Would love to see an Ostmo(fullback), Knight (tailback) formation once in awhile. Harris can be a nice change of pace and don’t rule out Janicaro. Again, if all are healthy, can be a very nice set up.

driftwood said:
So Gillman is a lock to RS?

I don't know why you DON'T redshirt him. Let him play in 4 games to get his feet wet, but then next year he is in the rotation.

Knight/Harris rotating(mostly Knight)
Ostmo(3rd down/goal line)
Gillman(most likely redshirt but, if not)
Childs

What a great problem/discussion to be able to have after last year. Obviously, Marcus Knight is the starter and deservedly so. After him it's kind of hard to say. Both Childs and Harris showed some really good stuff last year but are still young and could use more development. Having Ostmo back is a huge plus as well. With all these weapons I'm hoping we see some really creative and productive offense this year. (I'm thinking 2 back sets with misdirection, handing off to Malik on some sweeps, reverses, etc.)

UncleRico said:
mthoopsfan said:
Knight, Harris.

I agree. Knight is special but Harris is going to be a really good player as well.
Agree, it would be ideal to have Harris for that 5th year if we don't need him for more than 4 games this year.

Da Boyz Mom said:
What a great problem/discussion to be able to have after last year. Obviously, Marcus Knight is the starter and deservedly so. After him it's kind of hard to say. Both Childs and Harris showed some really good stuff last year but are still young and could use more development. Having Ostmo back is a huge plus as well. With all these weapons I'm hoping we see some really creative and productive offense this year. (I'm thinking 2 back sets with misdirection, handing off to Malik on some sweeps, reverses, etc.)

I’m just glad we’re not talking about Bergen in this role. :D

Gotta say, Ostmo is underrated IMO. He catches well out of the backfield, hard runner, deceptively fast, highly athletic, good vision. He's a great back and could be a #1 starter on a lot of BSC teams.

grizfan406 said:
Gotta say, Ostmo is underrated IMO. He catches well out of the backfield, hard runner, deceptively fast, highly athletic, good vision. He's a great back and could be a #1 starter on a lot of BSC teams.

I agree! Hoping he stays healthy and shows it. Between him, Knight, Xavier and co. I can't think of a more intriguing backfield. They all catch the ball well, which creates so many more options to mix and match running plays. Here's to good health!

Tough call............

Knight
Ostmo / Harris - depending upon situation
Gotta mix Bergen in there somewhere / too good to not get the ball to

like someone said, good problem to have! Can't wait to get this started!

Go Griz!

Back