• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Weber 2022 Season Preview

Griz til I die

DONOR
We finally made it. Today is the first day of Fall Camp, and with that comes our final Big Sky preview in Weber State. Last year, as I predicted was a very bad year for Weber going 6-5 in a season where they dropped 4 of their 5 home games, yikes! Weber did have a really tough schedule last year, and that will certainly be the case again this year as they will play 5 of the top 6 preseason ranked Big Sky teams. Weber has prided themselves on the fronts, and they got crushed on the D-line by graduation, and George Tarlas transferring to Boise State. Offensively, Bronson Barron and Josh Davis will be back from injury, but they gotta replace Rashid Shaheed in the WR core and in the punt/kick return game. With that, let’s dive in!

September 1 vs. Western Oregon - W. I’m sure Weber will get some flack for scheduling a D2 school, but in their defense, they originally were scheduled to play JMU in Harrisonburg week 1, but JMU pulled out of the game after they announced their move up. Because of that, Weber couldn’t find a replacement opponent until like February, and this was the best they could do. This schedule change I think may end up being the difference in Weber making the playoffs vs. missing it. Weber rolls in this one!

September 10 @ Utah State - L. A short bus ride up to Logan to take on the defending MWC champions in Utah State. I’ve seen some preseason polls where the MWC has 4 teams in the top 25 and Utah State has been a part of all those. The Aggies did very well in the transfer portal, and Blake Anderson is one of the best coaches in the game. Aggies roll in this one!

September 17 vs. Utah Tech - W. Weber destroyed these guys down in Dixie last year, and I expect the, to do the same thing in Ogden this year.

September 24 @ UC Davis - L. Weber dropped this game at home last year, and with all the question marks on Weber’s team last year, I can’t pull the trigger on them beating Davis on the road. Davis wins a close one.

October 1 BYE. Kind of early to have it. Could come back to haunt them.

October 8 vs. Eastern Washington - W. A battle of who has more question Marks? In my opinion, that’s Eastern, and I think Weber wins a close one at home.

October 15 @ Portland State - W. Weber dropped this game at home last year, and that ended up being the nail in the coffin on their season. They will however not drop this game in 2022. I don’t think PSU will be very good. Weber wins easily in this one.

October 22 @ Montana State - L. As much as I wanna pick the upset in this one, I’m gonna hold off on that. Weber hasn’t been to msu since 2017, and until Seber’s offense can prove they can score points, I’m not gonna pick the, on the road.

October 29 vs. Montana - L. Definitely not ideal drawing the Montana schools in back to back weeks, then getting Sac State the week after. Would you believe it if I told you we haven’t beat Weber in Ogden since 2012? If there were ever a year to beat them in Ogden, it’s this year. I think we’re the better team regardless of where this game is played, and we pickup a massive road win.

November 5 vs. Sacramento State - L. What a tough 3 game stretch for Weber. This is actually brutal. If they drop all 3 of these games, their season is over. I struggle to see how they win any of these 3 games with all the question marks they have. Sac wins on the road.

November 12 vs. Idaho State - a get right game, but this sets up a massive week 12 showdown that could decide if a 6-5 Weber team makes it into the playoffs. Also, what the hell does the Big Sky think they’re doing giving Weber 3 straight conference games at home? That’s bullshit.

November 19 @ Northern Arizona - L. NAU has always played Weber really tough. This could very well be a play in game for both teams. I like NAU’s team this year, and I think NAU wins this game and punches their ticket to the playoffs.

———————————

I got Weber going 5-6. I will not fall into the rabbit hole that the media is in thinking that Weber had a down year and will be back this year. I said this last year, and I will say it again. I think Weber as a program hit its peak under Jay HIll in 2019, and I don’t think they’re gonna return to their glory days again with the emergence of the Griz and the cats. In fact, I’ll just say it. I would not be surprised if Jay HIll is getting burned out at Weber, and leaves this off-season to take an assistant job somewhere. I think Weber’s glory days are officially over! That’s my prediction! Thoughts???

I have been generally agreeing with your very solid analysis but I think you are underrating WSU. I know they lost a lot of players especially on defense but they were really deep last year and they lost a couple really close games to UCD and MSU. I think they will win 3 of 4 against MSU, EWU, UCD and UM. I hate Weber State but they are going to be a handful and they are my dark horse to win the conference this year.

indian-outlaw said:
I have been generally agreeing with your very solid analysis but I think you are underrating WSU. I know they lost a lot of players especially on defense but they were really deep last year and they lost a couple really close games to UCD and MSU. I think they will win 3 of 4 against MSU, EWU, UCD and UM. I hate Weber State but they are going to be a handful and they are my dark horse to win the conference this year.
The problem with Weber is that they need an amazing defense in order to carry their putrid offense, and last year it wasn't quite good enough to do that.

I don't imagine their offense will be much better than it has been the last couple of years, so if their defense isn't the best in the conference, it's likely they struggle again this season.

As usual it all hinges on our offense. Time to see what the new offensive coordinator can bring to the table.

uofmman1122 said:
The problem with Weber is that they need an amazing defense in order to carry their putrid offense, and last year it wasn't quite good enough to do that.

I don't imagine their offense will be much better than it has been the last couple of years, so if their defense isn't the best in the conference, it's likely they struggle again this season.
We have inside information that they will not have the best defense in the conference.

oldrunner said:
I truly hope that everyone continues to underestimate what Weber can and will do this year.
You guys need somebody better then Bronson Barron. He's the equivalent of what we had last year with Cam Humphrey which is slightly above average. If you guys want to get back to your glory days, you gotta do better than him.

oldrunner said:
I truly hope that everyone continues to underestimate what Weber can and will do this year.

I volunteer to continue not estimating or caring what Weber can and will do unless they play the Griz (save for making jokes about how they are allowed to cheat by having 32yos on the offensive line because some dude thought it was cool to have 40 teenage wives 200 years ago). This service I'm providing is not a huge sacrifice for me because I've been doing it my entire life. I will not be taking questions at this time.

CDAGRIZ said:
oldrunner said:

I volunteer to continue not estimating or caring what Weber can and will do unless they play the Griz (save for making jokes about how they are allowed to cheat by having 32yos on the offensive line because some dude thought it was cool to have 40 teenage wives 200 years ago). This service I'm providing is not a huge sacrifice for me because I've been doing it my entire life. I will not be taking questions at this time.
:lol: I wish we had some of those older guys on our OL now. We have one senior in the lot. Some of our oldest guys right now are RBs, DTs and Ss. In those positions we have some 5 and 6 yr seniors. Mostly, we are a young team. We will have a number of true and red shirt freshmen contributing.

CDAGRIZ said:
oldrunner said:

Whoa.

Next thing you're going to try and tell me is it's ok for fans to look ahead games because they are not actually playing. What are we even doing?

ilovethecats said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Whoa.

Next thing you're going to try and tell me is it's ok for fans to look ahead games because they are not actually playing. What are we even doing?

I said no questions!

oldrunner said:
CDAGRIZ said:
:lol: I wish we had some of those older guys on our OL now. We have one senior in the lot. Some of our oldest guys right now are RBs, DTs and Ss. In those positions we have some 5 and 6 yr seniors. Mostly, we are a young team. We will have a number of true and red shirt freshmen contributing.

You’ll have them for seven more years.

CDAGRIZ said:
oldrunner said:

Well, except for the two during which they're *"on a mission", from which they inevitably return with an additional 45 pounds of muscle mass.

*traveling to football camps.

EverettGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Well, except for the two during which they're *"on a mission", from which they inevitably return with an additional 45 pounds of muscle mass.

No, no, young Oliver put on a ton of muscle and became awesome at football somehow because he spread the good word. We won’t talk about what that word is, haha, no way. We don’t talk about it.

CDAGRIZ said:
EverettGriz said:

No, no, young Oliver put on a ton of muscle and became awesome at football somehow because he spread the good word. We won’t talk about what that word is, haha, no way. We don’t talk about it.
What I hear you saying is that the rules are different for Weber and that UM has never had a player who has returned from religious/military service to play sports. Maybe Bobi should start petitioning the NCAA to make those sort of guys ineligible for everyone because he doesn't want them on his team. :lol:

oldrunner said:
CDAGRIZ said:
What I hear you saying is that the rules are different for Weber and that UM has never had a player who has returned from religious/military service to play sports. Maybe Bobi should start petitioning the NCAA to make those sort of guys ineligible for everyone because he doesn't want them on his team. :lol:

Incorrect. What I’m saying is Weber is one of several universities that have a LOT of players who have returned from “religious service” during which the eligibility clock stops for no logical reason and come back looking like they were lifting in San Quentin for two years. Not saying UM/MSU hasn’t had such grown ass men, but neither builds their program on it like Weber does.

I guess I do care what Weber does, after all.

Yes, UM has the occasional LDS member who goes on a mission, which should be respected and celebrated. The difference is, those players actually are sent to places where mission work is, you know, true mission work. Like Zimbabwe or Pakistan.

I’ve been fortunate to have many friends who went on missions. None of them returned looking like the Atlas. I guess what I’m saying is that perhaps the church may tend to show a little favor on athletes from Weber and BYU.

CDAGRIZ said:
oldrunner said:

Incorrect. What I’m saying is Weber is one of several universities that have a LOT of players who have returned from “religious service” during which the eligibility clock stops for no logical reason and come back looking like they were lifting in San Quentin for two years. Not saying UM/MSU hasn’t had such grown ass men, but neither builds their program on it like Weber does.

I guess I do care what Weber does, after all.
Weber has 2 to 5 return missionaries each year. They are usually 20 years old when they return as freshmen. It is typical for 0 to 1 of them to actually contribute much for at least the first two or three years and after that it's about one of them that might become a starter. It really isn't a huge impact on the performance of the team as a whole. If they are truly good, BYU often recruits them while they are on their mission. The majority of them do not get to work out while on their missions and come back completely out of shape. Some are never able to return to the shape they were in during their HS days. Some return with no desire to participate in sports at all. As a lifelong Utah resident and a 50+ year fan of WSU, I would say that having RMs on your team is not a plus or a minus. :thumb:

Back