• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What I'm watching for in camp

BWahlberg

DONOR
I'll open with Frank Gogola had a piece he published the other day. It generally captures a lot of the basic discussions we've been having on here and on other social platforms. You can find his article here:

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/storylines-to-follow-as-montana-kicks-off-camp-ahead-of-highly-anticipated-season/article_4cd79f96-6020-54e8-b73e-a209237a4cf3.html

He basically states storylines of note for most positions, his first four are OL, QB, RB, K/P.

Here's what I'm wanting to follow as what I think is maybe our most deep/talented roster in over 10 years gets ready for the season:

1. Of course, the offensive line. Forbes appeared to me in the spring as the guy that has taken on that role as the leader of the group. Supportive of the group, but challenges them. Tests them and celebrates their successes. I think our interior grouping on the 1st team is good, I think the backup interior team is serviceable. We've got a new transfer at tackle (appears to be LT from a video Shaun tweeted) and Casey at RT. How's that 2nd team looking? Want to see this group once the pads come on and they're blocking guys. Running game even in the spring looked good, how's the pass protection?

2. Where will all of these transfers fit in? Today UM announced new additions to the roster, 9 new guys. 4 from Pac12 schools, 2 from B1G schools, 1 from Sam Houston by way of a JuCo, a freshman, and a senior kicker with quite the tiktok following. Is Abbott here to challenge Johnson for the starting spot, or is this more to see if he or Brown are the backup? Can Travillion take the role apparently vacated by Soe who appears to no longer be on roster? Assuming Walker is a starter and Botkin will challenge for kicker/punter. The other guys are more underclassmen. Will their experience at bigger programs help them or will their relative new arrival have them stuck back in the ranks?

3. Will they share the wealth at RB? Bobby protects his RBs well in camps so I kind of wonder how much live hitting Knight and Ostmo might see. On the other hand maybe he wants them to take some shots before a live game. Will Childs and Harris be a bigger part of the 2022 running game?

4. How can they get Flowers the ball more? Malik Flowers is the best kick returner Montana's ever had, and one of the most electric players on this team. He's never really broken through much for steady work at WR though. Will that change this year? Using him in the slot for run plays worked against EWU.

5. Who's our starting DE's? Or does it even matter? There's at least 4 guys that'll be rotating in this group, if not more. Todd, McGourin, Hustedt, Hurlburt, Edwards... This group has really transformed from what it's previously been. They're going to add quite a bit more strength in those trenches.

6. QB Competition? Johnson looked like he fits the role in the spring, now with more time with the team over the summer he's presumably got a leg up. Abbott is an unknown, will he come in on fire or will he show that he's adding to depth/support here? This is a spot I really want to see develop as having mobile / tough QBs is a must for this offense to click.

7. Any changes on defense? EWU both times and JMU knew how to best attack the Grizzly defense, Sac did a little bit - although the Griz really had so many self-inflected wounds in that game. Putting their best WRs in the slot and going for 1-on-1 matchups against a Griz safety rather than our corners worked at times. Will Baer and company have some wrinkles and changes? Or is it a personnel change that's needed?

8. How are some of the 2-deep spots shaping up? Football quite frequently is a game of next man up and this spring really seemed like a plan to develop who that 2nd team is going to be. There's positions where I'm really curious to see who the backups are. I think I have an idea in some spots, others though there's still a lot of options. LB, DE, S, WR, CB.

What about you guys? Anything else on your radar that you'd like to see come out of this camp?

How will they improve on 3rd down. Ranked 74 or so last year in the FCS...about 37 percent conversion. Needs to improve.

Most of us seem to be stressed out over the #37 controversy. We're all watching with bated breath to see what happens.

BWahlberg said:
I'll open with Frank Gogola had a piece he published the other day. It generally captures a lot of the basic discussions we've been having on here and on other social platforms. You can find his article here:

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/storylines-to-follow-as-montana-kicks-off-camp-ahead-of-highly-anticipated-season/article_4cd79f96-6020-54e8-b73e-a209237a4cf3.html

He basically states storylines of note for most positions, his first four are OL, QB, RB, K/P.

Here's what I'm wanting to follow as what I think is maybe our most deep/talented roster in over 10 years gets ready for the season:

1. Of course, the offensive line. Forbes appeared to me in the spring as the guy that has taken on that role as the leader of the group. Supportive of the group, but challenges them. Tests them and celebrates their successes. I think our interior grouping on the 1st team is good, I think the backup interior team is serviceable. We've got a new transfer at tackle (appears to be LT from a video Shaun tweeted) and Casey at RT. How's that 2nd team looking? Want to see this group once the pads come on and they're blocking guys. Running game even in the spring looked good, how's the pass protection?

2. Where will all of these transfers fit in? Today UM announced new additions to the roster, 9 new guys. 4 from Pac12 schools, 2 from B1G schools, 1 from Sam Houston by way of a JuCo, a freshman, and a senior kicker with quite the tiktok following. Is Abbott here to challenge Johnson for the starting spot, or is this more to see if he or Brown are the backup? Can Travillion take the role apparently vacated by Soe who appears to no longer be on roster? Assuming Walker is a starter and Botkin will challenge for kicker/punter. The other guys are more underclassmen. Will their experience at bigger programs help them or will their relative new arrival have them stuck back in the ranks?

3. Will they share the wealth at RB? Bobby protects his RBs well in camps so I kind of wonder how much live hitting Knight and Ostmo might see. On the other hand maybe he wants them to take some shots before a live game. Will Childs and Harris be a bigger part of the 2022 running game?

4. How can they get Flowers the ball more? Malik Flowers is the best kick returner Montana's ever had, and one of the most electric players on this team. He's never really broken through much for steady work at WR though. Will that change this year? Using him in the slot for run plays worked against EWU.

5. Who's our starting DE's? Or does it even matter? There's at least 4 guys that'll be rotating in this group, if not more. Todd, McGourin, Hustedt, Hurlburt, Edwards... This group has really transformed from what it's previously been. They're going to add quite a bit more strength in those trenches.

6. QB Competition? Johnson looked like he fits the role in the spring, now with more time with the team over the summer he's presumably got a leg up. Abbott is an unknown, will he come in on fire or will he show that he's adding to depth/support here? This is a spot I really want to see develop as having mobile / tough QBs is a must for this offense to click.

7. Any changes on defense? EWU both times and JMU knew how to best attack the Grizzly defense, Sac did a little bit - although the Griz really had so many self-inflected wounds in that game. Putting their best WRs in the slot and going for 1-on-1 matchups against a Griz safety rather than our corners worked at times. Will Baer and company have some wrinkles and changes? Or is it a personnel change that's needed?

8. How are some of the 2-deep spots shaping up? Football quite frequently is a game of next man up and this spring really seemed like a plan to develop who that 2nd team is going to be. There's positions where I'm really curious to see who the backups are. I think I have an idea in some spots, others though there's still a lot of options. LB, DE, S, WR, CB.

What about you guys? Anything else on your radar that you'd like to see come out of this camp?

Good post. I think Aaron Fontes becomes a star this season.

All I know is that left tackle has got to fixed regarding protecting against the pass rush.....it was a sieve....the new guy from Nebraska may be the answer...or someone within develops from the spring game.

SoldierGriz said:
How will they improve on 3rd down. Ranked 74 or so last year in the FCS...about 37 percent conversion. Needs to improve.

That’s a damn good one to bring up.

This year with an experienced RB backfield the hope would be that the Griz offense is viewed as far less 1 dimensional and not be as easy to predict on 3rd down - or in fewer 3rd and longs.

BWahlberg said:

RTD
READY TO DOMINATE !!!!!!!!!

EverettGriz said:
Good post.

Seems like much of this could be discussed on a GFP....

Hey, hey, let’s ease up on these hosts. They provide a completely free pod sponsored by…uh
I have no background in ad sales, so I feel qualified to say these guys should be paid. In the spirit of God, Country, and NIL, let’s get Ole’s or Deano’s to at least give them some hot dogs for what they take the time to do! For Datapoint, for Pod Dog, for one and for all! Victory! Who’s with me?

I want to know who’s filling four VERY big shoes on defense: Robertson’s and Hicks-Onu’s.

The defense (when those guys were missing) was measurably worse.

CDAGRIZ said:
EverettGriz said:
Good post.

Seems like much of this could be discussed on a GFP....

Hey, hey, let’s ease up on these hosts. They provide a completely free pod sponsored by…uh
I have no background in ad sales, so I feel qualified to say these guys should be paid. In the spirit of God, Country, and NIL, let’s get Ole’s or Deano’s to at least give them some hot dogs for what they take the time to do! For Datapoint, for Pod Dog, for one and for all! Victory! Who’s with me?

Oh hells yeah. I’d say like half priced Ole’s dogs on any Wednesday during football season minimum. I mean, the work they do to crank one of these out every 9 or 10 months? Diabolical.

Don't forget about K/P. Good battles coming at both positions. Tough to replace such an accurate kicker like Macias. Can Capser or Rohrbach fill the need? Maybe the transfer? Rohrbach or Botkin at punter I presume, but again, big shoes to fill. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out now that everyone is in camp.

Griz2k said:
Don't forget about K/P. Good battles coming at both positions. Tough to replace such an accurate kicker like Macias. Can Capser or Rohrbach fill the need? Maybe the transfer? Rohrbach or Botkin at punter I presume, but again, big shoes to fill. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out now that everyone is in camp.

Solution? Never have to punt…never settle for FG’s. :lol:

EverettGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Oh hells yeah. I’d say like half priced Ole’s dogs on any Wednesday during football season minimum. I mean, the work they do to crank one of these out every 9 or 10 months? Diabolical.

“Tonight’s podcast is brought to you by Ole’s. All the solutions for all your car’s needs. And these hot dogs are delicious. Ole’s. Missoula. The official car care center of the GFP.” See, I’m already writing copy.

(I’m actually seriously grateful for their pod, and I know you are, too)

AZGrizFan said:
I want to know who’s filling four VERY big shoes on defense: Robertson’s and Hicks-Onu’s.

Robertson was a senior and sure played like it. I'm expecting Cotton, Fouch, and Graves, all a year older to actually give us better quality safety depth than last year. Jayden Dawson was all big Sky last season and obviously Ford is our best corner since Trumaine. Lots of talent at corner.

krammer said:
All I know is that left tackle has got to fixed regarding protecting against the pass rush.....it was a sieve....the new guy from Nebraska may be the answer...or someone within develops from the spring game.

Our starting oline is pretty damn solid. I'm excited to see our young tight ends growing up in addition to having some size and strength available at the running back positions to help in pass rush. We basically had to scheme around having 175 pound running backs and no depth last year. TE and running back should see vast improvements over last year, which is a big chunk of our offense.

Alaska Griz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Robertson was a senior and sure played like it. I'm expecting Cotton, Fouch, and Graves, all a year older to actually give us better quality safety depth than last year. Jayden Dawson was all big Sky last season and obviously Ford is our best corner since Trumaine. Lots of talent at corner.

I’m less concerned about corner than i am safety. We played our worst games defensively when Robertson was out.

Back