• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

8/13/22 practice

mtgrizrule

I decided to catch a whole practice, 8-13. It's impossible to pay attention to all the groups. It's way too spread out for it. So, sorry for limited info.

Knight and Ostmo were very limited. They're definitely being cautious with them. Rest of the running backs rotated. Most of the emphasis was passing the ball, in drills, 7 on 7, and 11 on 11. I did notice, all the backs contributed in catching passes. They all looked comfortable in catching.

Johnson and Brown were the 1st and 2nd team qbs. Johnson made a couple terrific big play passes. He makes terrific plays on the run, keeps his eyes upfield, and throws terrific on the run. He's also very confident. That's good and bad. Unfortunately, he threw 3 picks, all questionable decisions.
Brown made some amazing throws. No bad passes that I noticed. Unfortunately, he still tends to hold the ball to long. He didn't throw it away at all.

Fontes made 3 big plays, 2 from Johnson, 1 from Brown. Britt got the 3rd most reps. Huot and Abbott looked solid in their few reps. In passing drills, Abbott was the most inconsistent with accuracy.

The OL looks better in pass protection. Run blocking has a lot of room for improvement.

As for the offense, it's difficult to know how good it is, with 1 practice. Why? The defense is outright amazing and deep at every position. Ford made quite a few nice plays. Dawson is difficult to beat. Simmons made terrific plays in drills, not so much in 7 on7 and 11 on 11. All the safeties and LBs looked good. Kaschmitter really caught my eye. He was consistently making plays with penetration and pressure. He was the dark horse stand out to me.

All the kickers looked good in there end of practice kicking field goals. I think, collectively they were 6 for 6 from 40 to 45 yards.

The highlight of practice. In red zone play, Ford had just shut down Flowers on a contested pass. He was trash talking Flowers. He told him, man I'm going to treat WRs that way every time, get used to it, beat me! Next play, same play, same match up. Flowers beat him for a contested red zone TD. Flowers just calmly placed the ball down, looked at him, and back to the sideline. Granted, that was only contested play Ford was beat, but I loved how it all played out. I think the coaches loved it too.

Anyway, it was great to see some Griz football.

mtgrizrule said:
All the kickers looked good in there end of practice kicking field goals. I think, collectively they were 6 for 6 from 40 to 45 yards.

I was standing right behind the goal post... They were 4 of 6... Still, I did think the kicks were solid.

mtgrizrule said:
I decided to catch a whole practice, 8-13. It's impossible to pay attention to all the groups. It's way too spread out for it. So, sorry for limited info.

Knight and Ostmo were very limited. They're definitely being cautious with them. Rest of the running backs rotated. Most of the emphasis was passing the ball, in drills, 7 on 7, and 11 on 11. I did notice, all the backs contributed in catching passes. They all looked comfortable in catching.

Johnson and Brown were the 1st and 2nd team qbs. Johnson made a couple terrific big play passes. He makes terrific plays on the run, keeps his eyes upfield, and throws terrific on the run. He's also very confident. That's good and bad. Unfortunately, he threw 3 picks, all questionable decisions.
Brown made some amazing throws. No bad passes that I noticed. Unfortunately, he still tends to hold the ball to long. He didn't throw it away at all.

Fontes made 3 big plays, 2 from Johnson, 1 from Brown. Britt got the 3rd most reps. Huot and Abbott looked solid in their few reps. In passing drills, Abbott was the most inconsistent with accuracy.

The OL looks better in pass protection. Run blocking has a lot of room for improvement.

As for the offense, it's difficult to know how good it is, with 1 practice. Why? The defense is outright amazing and deep at every position. Ford made quite a few nice plays. Dawson is difficult to beat. Simmons made terrific plays in drills, not so much in 7 on7 and 11 on 11. All the safeties and LBs looked good. Kaschmitter really caught my eye. He was consistently making plays with penetration and pressure. He was the dark horse stand out to me.

The highlight of practice. In red zone play, Ford had just shut down Flowers on a contested pass. He was trash talking Flowers. He told him, man I'm going to treat WRs that way every time, get used to it, beat me! Next play, same play, same match up. Flowers beat him for a contested red zone TD. Flowers just calmly placed the ball down, looked at him, and back to the sideline. Granted, that was only contested play Ford was beat, but I loved how it all played out. I think the coaches loved it too.

Anyway, it was great to see some Griz football.

Thanks, Rule! Nice to read some of this stuff. :thumb:

Griz2k said:
mtgrizrule said:

I was standing right behind the goal post... They were 4 of 6... Still, I did think the kicks were solid.

I was on the side. I couldn't tell on a few.

mtgrizrule said:
Griz2k said:

I was on the side. I couldn't tell on a few.

Ya, would have been super hard to tell from the side. They didn't miss by much. Similarly, I had no idea how far they were kicking from. I was going to say 30 or so, but you definitely had a better angle than me!

My two cents...

Bit of a tough day for the QBs...lots of picks but man that defense causes problems. They just fly around. Agree with mtgrizrule, Brown still holds the ball way too long, but as long as Johnson stays healthy, Brown probably won’t see the field much. Johnson is clearly the number one. Saw a few really good screens today which I haven’t seen in years. Rbs are deep, but ya, knight was definitely held out of most contact drills. My favorite run of the day came from Beau Dantic. Didn’t go for many yards, maybe 10 or so but dang he looked shifty! Best catch of the day was Cole Grossman on a 1 on 1 drill. Can’t remember who threw it, but Cole was blanketed in the corner and made an Odell Beckham type one handed grab. Was pretty sweet. Slight difference of opinion on Abbott as I thought he looked decent throwing the ball. He's certainly got some wheels to. Defense is simply loaded with studs. No other way to put it. Kale Edwards got chewed pretty good by Sachs at one point though for crashing instead of having containment and let the RB get outside. Three plays later and Sachs was still barking at him. No tempers got out of hand today although I did see Isaiah Childs get his helmet knocked off and as he reached down to pick it up a defensive back kicked it out of the way. Child’s shoved him but really that was the only thing I saw. It was actually kind of funny. As mtgrizrule said, Flowers TD catch was great as he was well covered. Was the one and only practice I will likely catch this fall, but it was pretty fun. Once the offense starts to gel, this team could be dangerous. Defense is flat out NASTY!

I also went to practice today. Probably the only one I’m gonna make too. I agree that the defense is just outstanding, and it’s only gonna help the offense get better. It’s like I told the guy standing next to me, while the offense doesn’t look stellar, it’s also because they’re going up against the best defense in America at the FCS level.

Griz2k said:
Saw a few really good screens today which I haven’t seen in years.

No way, you made this up. That would legitimately be a game changer if they carried that over to the season.

dupuyer griz said:
Griz2k said:

No way, you made this up. That would legitimately be a game changer if they carried that over to the season.

It’s all just deception. When the money is down on the table, Rosey will play it safe with an inside the tackles zone play every time. When he’s really feeling risky he might, and I mean just might, roll the dice and let one go off tackle just to keep the fans honest in their narrative.

In all seriousness we have a nice problem on offense and that is too many weapons. It’s part of what made last year so frustrating, when we knew what was on the field and in the cupboard. Motioning Bergen out to the slot against a middle linebacker in the brawl was the matchup we’d been looking for all year as well as Flowers on some end arounds. I hope we stay healthy and see more of the 2019 version of the Griz offense and not so much of the 2021 regular season Griz offense.

dupuyer griz said:
Griz2k said:

Bobby will not be happy about this getting leaked out😎.

Thanks to you all for your wonderful reports. It is so frigging nice to see a FOOTBALL post that, so far at least, has stayed just that!! And Griz football to boot !

grizfan1984 said:
How does Gillman look out there?

Gillman got a few carries. Physically, he looks the part. He hits the hole quick with good pad level. Beyond that, the emphasis on passing for this practice, I really couldn't evaluate the running game. I do know, when the GRIZ did run, the holes were filled quickly by the defense. The OL looked to have struggled with run blocking. Then again, the defense really is so dominant, it's difficult to really know the level of offense.

When the qbs had time, they looked good. Then again, at this stage, the defense usually is ahead of the offense. This offense has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, getting in sync will take time.

Stood next to Gillman at the recruiting trip this past January, he does not look like a Freshman, not at all. I could see him come in for mop up duties early in the season then maybe more down the stretch as things play out. God lets hope the injury bug does not bite us this year, we deserve a year without so many injuries.

grizare#1 said:
Stood next to Gillman at the recruiting trip this past January, he does not look like a Freshman, not at all. I could see him come in for mop up duties early in the season then maybe more down the stretch as things play out. God lets hope the injury bug does not bite us this year, we deserve a year without so many injuries.
He should be limited to 4 games.

kemajic said:
grizare#1 said:
He should be limited to 4 games.
Good point, we should be loaded at RB this season as long as we can stay healthy. Unfortunately no one has a crystal ball. Will say our offense will probably not see a tougher defense than our own this season.

Griz2k said:
dupuyer griz said:

Haha, right?

I have lamented the disappearance of the screen game since Pflugrad was let go. Would love to see some good screen packages in the offense, especially with all the talent we have at running back

Back