• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz and MWC

BrownBear9501

Wondering if anyone has heard anything lately regarding possibility of UM moving to the Mountain West? Would be fun to see this team compete against those schools week in/week out. On the surface it seems like we have more in common with Wyoming/Nevada/Utah State than we do with Portland State/Sac St/No. Colorado.

As much as I'd love it to happen, probably never will. Too many donors content on being irrelevant.

Griz Addict said:
As much as I'd love it to happen, probably never will. Too many donors content on being irrelevant.

If only we could go to the mountain west and become even more irrelevant. The fucking illusion that we’ll somehow become relevant by moving to a group of 5 conference is laughable. Likewise, the elitist tone of every post in favor of the move up is fucking ridiculous.

dupuyer griz said:
Griz Addict said:

If only we could go to the mountain west and become even more irrelevant. The f###[#] illusion that we’ll somehow become relevant by moving to a group of 5 conference is laughable. Likewise, the elitist tone of every post in favor of the move up is f###[#] ridiculous.
Dude, we're all allowed our opinions here. Maybe, just maybe, some people would rather Montana be tied to the likes of the MWC than the Big Sky. Meanwhile, others are content where we're at. Nothing wrong with either outlook.

Fact is, we know what we have in the Big Sky. Fact is, some inspire for better. That applies in many aspects of life for many. Personally, the worse question is always, "what if"? At some point, it would be nice to eliminate that question and find out!

Personally, I have faith, the GRIZ would be better off, with time. Agree or disagree, I don't care.

dupuyer griz said:
Griz Addict said:

If only we could go to the mountain west and become even more irrelevant. The f###[#] illusion that we’ll somehow become relevant by moving to a group of 5 conference is laughable. Likewise, the elitist tone of every post in favor of the move up is f###[#] ridiculous.

Literally the only fcs program who is more relevant than the lowest of the low FBS program is ndsu.

And the only reason for that is because some people know that’s the tiny school who has won all those division II (or is it DIII) championships.

UM instantly becomes more relevant the moment they even consider an offer to an FBS conference, and that’s just pure, unadulterated fact.

GRIZFAN37YT said:
Griz Addict said:

So you want to move up and go 4-8 every year?

Please explain to me why we would need to go 4-8?

And if winning every game is the end goal, why don’t we play Rocky every Saturday? That’d be a hoot, huh??

dupuyer griz said:
Griz Addict said:

what's laughable are defeatist attitudes like yours… If we are not looking to move forward, we are really only moving backwards

Fahque said:
dupuyer griz said:

what's laughable are defeatist attitudes like yours… If we are not looking to move forward, we are really only moving backwards
Ok, sell me on it.
Convince me it’s a good thing for the season to be over around November 20 every year.
Convince me playing in the Idaho potato bowl is a good thing.
Convince me not to be excited for a playoff game.
Convince me that it will be awesome to never have a chance to win a national championship for the rest of my life.
Convince me that being in the mountain west will make us “relevant.” Keeping in mind that the teams leaving to make room for us are the teams you associate the mountain wests greatness with.
Really really sell me on all of this and I’ll change my mind. Until then, spare me the we should move up because it would be far superior bullshit. FBS group of 5 is the most irrelevant form of football there is. They have no championship and every 20 years they might let a Boise State or Cincinnati have a shot with the big boys and then lock them back out for another 20.

EverettGriz said:
GRIZFAN37YT said:
So you want to move up and go 4-8 every year?

And if winning every game is the end goal, why don’t we play Rocky every Saturday? That’d be a hoot, huh??
Many on this forum would love to play a Rocky or Dixie State every Saturday. They would be able to crow about how great the Griz are and there would be record sales of Griz gear. And the administration would be happy as the stadium would be packed and they wouldn’t be presented with a decision to change or move up, down.

Spanky2 said:
EverettGriz said:

Many on this forum would love to play a Rocky or Dixie State every Saturday. They would be able to crow about how great the Griz are and there would be record sales of Griz gear. And the administration would be happy as the stadium would be packed and they wouldn’t be presented with a decision to change or move up, down.

Griz move up and schedule an fcs opponent to fill out the schedule so everyone still has something to bitch about.

dupuyer griz said:
Fahque said:
Ok, sell me on it.
Convince me it’s a good thing for the season to be over around November 20 every year.
Convince me that it will be awesome to never have a chance to win a national championship for the rest of my life.
Convince me that being in the mountain west will make us “relevant.” Keeping in mind that the teams leaving to make room for us are the teams you associate the mountain wests greatness with.
Really really sell me on all of this and I’ll change my mind. Until then, spare me the we should move up because it would be far superior bullshit. FBS group of 5 is the most irrelevant form of football there is. They have no championship and every 20 years they might let a Boise State or Cincinnati have a shot with the big boys and then lock them back out for another 20.

100% Agreed

This national championship of a depleted FCS, some would say is a B League championship that few are aware that it exists. Further, they might comment that few decent teams other than North Dakota State remain after the good teams have moved to FBS.

Spanky2 said:
This national championship of a depleted FCS, some would say is a B League championship that few are aware that it exists. Further, they might comment that few decent teams other than North Dakota State remain after the good teams have moved to FBS.

Just to play devils advocate here Spanky.

Is it not odd that a team that hasn't even made it to the "B-League Championship" in well over a decade thinks they should be one to move up a level? I'm not getting into the move-up thing. No one is going to change anyones mind. But unless you're NDSU, I can't see why any other program feels they are too good for the FCS right now. It just strikes me as odd that some Griz fans act like they are way to good for this depleted B-League conference when they are far from dominating said B-League.

Not intending to talk smack, just trying to figure out the mindset.

dupuyer griz said:
Fahque said:
Ok, sell me on it.

It's not my job to sell you on anything… I guess if you want to continue being afraid of actual competition that is your prerogative

Hello Cats. Is it necessary to dominate the B-League before moving up? Many of us would rather play Utah State and Wyoming in our stadium than Northern Colorado and Eastern Washington and now the likes of Dixie State……yikes! Over the years, Montana has done well competing in the B-League of FCS when FCS was stronger than today, thus, I would submit, 59 years in the Big Sky Conference is far too long.

dupuyer griz said:
Fahque said:
Ok, sell me on it.

i am not a big 'move-up' advocate, but would like to see restructuring which would put the griz with all the former fcs schools they used to play (within reason), i.e. jmu, etc... if many former national rivals hadn't moved up, i highly doubt the griz would be anywhere near the top ten in the fcs, and surely not #2.

having said that, your list of criteria is made to give you the answers you want, not actually discuss the idea of improving the level of competition for the griz. it also qualifies as defeatist, at least to me. but hey, we can all have the opinion we want to have, and that comment isn't meant to be personal.

dupuyer griz said:
Fahque said:
Ok, sell me on it.

And convince us that UM would have the funds necessary to move to the MW, and the funds necessary to compete at a high level?

When I see cliches used at arguments, on egriz and in politics, I immediately think the user doesn't know what's talking about or has no real arguments.

Back