• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kent Baer’s Defense

AZGrizFan

DONOR
I’m going to take this opportunity to do what I said I’d do a couple years ago when Ken Baer was hired. The past two years defensive performances have proven me wrong and I am officially a fan. I rewatched the Griz/Scat game yesterday (not having had the pleasure, since I was AT the game) and it was just unreal to watch the speed of the D and how they flew to the ball.

To Kent, I apologize. You WERE what this team needed, and your defense, while different, is not a “gimmick”. You proved to me that with the right guys in place, it works and it works well. Looking forward to this year’s defensive performance!

Crow-plate.jpg

Let’s hope I’m similarly wrong about the O-line’s performance this year. :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
I’m going to take this opportunity to do what I said I’d do a couple years ago when Ken Baer was hired. The past two years defensive performances have proven me wrong and I am officially a fan. I rewatched the Griz/Scat game yesterday (not having had the pleasure, since I was AT the game) and it was just unreal to watch the speed of the D and how they flew to the ball.

To Kent, I apologize. You WERE what this team needed, and your defense, while different, is not a “gimmick”. You proved to me that with the right guys in place, it works and it works well. Looking forward to this year’s defensive performance!

Crow-plate.jpg

Let’s hope I’m similarly wrong about the O-line’s performance this year. :lol: :lol:

:thumb:

AZGrizFan said:

Crow-plate.jpg

Care to wash that plate down?

800px-Old_Crow.JPG

It's a great scheme, until it's not. If teams have the right talent on offense, AND understand how to attack that defense appropriately, you get gashed. (i.e. Robbie Hauck can't cover receivers.)

AZGrizFan said:

Crow-plate.jpg

Kudos for getting ahead of this. You were going to get called out at some point. I never quite understood your venom regarding such an experienced DC who clearly had BH's total confidence. Maybe the latter was your issue. Baer is not an outgoing guy, but when you talk to him, you find out he is an unbelievable resource for D schemes, LB play, evaluating talent and matching talent to roles in the scheme. With the ability to attract assistants like Bradford who seems able to get any CB prospect he wants.

I've been around Griz football for 60 years; I've never seen better D play, even in our NC years. And with improving depth, the losses of key players like Robertson or Hicks-Onu will have less devastating consequences than it did last year. The game at SacSt will be a great indicator.

Your venom for our OL is more understandable. But it, too, is too much in my mind. Knight will be a difference maker. RBs and TEs that can block and a QB who can run will change the equation. Our OL was exposed last year. Young, but by playoff time I think we'll be pretty good. Oh, and maybe even a screen or two.....

poorgriz said:
It's a great scheme, until it's not. If teams have the right talent on offense, AND understand how to attack that defense appropriately, you get gashed. (i.e. Robbie Hauck can't cover receivers.)

So, what you're saying is: Sixx didn't have the offensive talent, AND had no fucking clue how to attack our defense appropriately. Hey, at least Tommy Touchdown had a good highlight.

CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:

So, what you're saying is: Sixx didn't have the offensive talent, AND had no f###[#] clue how to attack our defense appropriately. Hey, at least Tommy Touchdown had a good highlight.

Know who else can't cover....Cuddly bear Trey Andersen. Exposed on what the first play from scrimmage?

We went through this all last year. No question the Griz gave up a lot of passing yards. But they absolutely stoned the run … being #3 in Rushing Defense. Put the two together and the Griz ranked #24 in Total Defense. And here’s the really important number: The Griz were #8 in Scoring Defense. I’ll take those numbers, even if it means we have to watch the occasional big play over the top between the 20 yard lines.

Clearly, that defense was designed to contain the run. A smart move, considering that most of the best teams in FCS are “run first” or depend heavily on their running game.

Here’s an interesting side effect. Because the Griz so often stuffed the running game, they saw more passes than any other FCS team. In fact, only one other team saw more than 500 passing attempts. That was SDSU at 505 in 15 games. The Griz saw 513 attempts in 13 games.

IdaGriz01 said:
We went through this all last year. No question the Griz gave up a lot of passing yards. But they absolutely stoned the run … being #3 in Rushing Defense. Put the two together and the Griz ranked #24 in Total Defense. And here’s the really important number: The Griz were #8 in Scoring Defense. I’ll take those numbers, even if it means we have to watch the occasional big play over the top between the 20 yard lines.

Clearly, that defense was designed to contain the run. A smart move, considering that most of the best teams in FCS are “run first” or depend heavily on their running game.

Here’s an interesting side effect. Because the Griz so often stuffed the running game, they saw more passes than any other FCS team. In fact, only one other team saw more than 500 passing attempts. That was SDSU at 505 in 15 games. The Griz saw 513 attempts in 13 games.

Great info!

kurtismichael said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Great info!

That’s gonna leave a mark on poorgriz

CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:

So, what you're saying is: Sixx didn't have the offensive talent, AND had no f###[#] clue how to attack our defense appropriately. Hey, at least Tommy Touchdown had a good highlight.

This is an underrated post

AZGrizFan said:

Crow-plate.jpg

You've seriously not watched that game since you were there live? I've seen it (in parts) at least 6 times. It never gets old.

heightsgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Crow-plate.jpg

You've seriously not watched that game since you were there live? I've seen it (in parts) at least 6 times. It never gets old.

Nope. Seen snippets, but never the entire game.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Crow-plate.jpg

Kudos for getting ahead of this. You were going to get called out at some point. I never quite understood your venom regarding such an experienced DC who clearly had BH's total confidence. Maybe the latter was your issue. Baer is not an outgoing guy, but when you talk to him, you find out he is an unbelievable resource for D schemes, LB play, evaluating talent and matching talent to roles in the scheme. With the ability to attract assistants like Bradford who seems able to get any CB prospect he wants.

I've been around Griz football for 60 years; I've never seen better D play, even in our NC years. And with improving depth, the losses of key players like Robertson or Hicks-Onu will have less devastating consequences than it did last year. The game at SacSt will be a great indicator.

Your venom for our OL is more understandable. But it, too, is too much in my mind. Knight will be a difference maker. RBs and TEs that can block and a QB who can run will change the equation. Our OL was exposed last year. Young, but by playoff time I think we'll be pretty good. Oh, and maybe even a screen or two.....

My “venom” (otherwise known as a dissenting opinion :lol: ) was due to the fact that his career arc was DESCENDING rather than ASCENDING. And his teams seemed to get worse (statistically) at every stop. But none of that matters now. I’m a believer. Especially after watching the play of Fouch and Cotton when subbed in for Robertson and with the addition of the ISU All-BSC performer at corner. :thumb: And I also agree that a healthy, experienced mobile QB and healthy RB’s will make a large difference in how the O-line appears. As long as that starting 5 can stay healthy. :?

My three year old and I watch it most mornings. He would rather watch the Griz kick the cats ass than cartoons. I’m pretty sure he’s the one who actually designed the fake field goal.

AZGrizFan said:

Crow-plate.jpg

May I ask where you watched the game? I was unable to get it on tv this last go.

dupuyer griz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Crow-plate.jpg

May I ask where you watched the game? I was unable to get it on tv this last go.

From the link in the thread on eGriz that has about 25 games in it.

https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82887

IdaGriz01 said:

Was this because we played EWU twice? If so that was 126 pass attempts between the regular season game (46) and the playoff game(80).

IdaGriz01 said:

Excellent post, thanks!

AZGrizFan said:

Crow-plate.jpg

Perhaps I spoke too soon? :shock: :shock:

Back